Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Got a cage too small

evianwater

Cavy Gazer
Hi, I received a guinea pig cage from a seller that did nOT tell me the dimensions, yet I bought it. It is approximately 1.5 x 2.7feet. Should I buy a
different one immediately or do I need to just make sure that the guinea pig gets a lot of floor time during the day?

I have one guinea pig.

Thanks so much

BaconAndEggs

Cavy Slave
You do not have to immediately get a new cage, but it is you need to get a larger one as soon as possible. (As @ThePigAlchemist already pointed out. :)) Also, you should look into give your single guinea pig a friend of the same gender. (Unless for some reason your pig must be alone, of course)
Frequent floor time is best for your guinea pig, (at least in my opinion) even if you do have a large cage.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
You should try to get your piggy a friend and a C&C or constructed cage as quickly as possible. Yes, floor time is great for some piggies, but many (such as mine) don't enjoy it at all. If you plan on giving a home to another cavy, adopting from a shelter would be the best way to go. 3x2 is the recommended size for one guinea pig, and for two sows, it would need to be a 4x2. For two boars a 2x5 is usually used to keep the peace. Update us!

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
Sometime you can find a 3shelf bookcase on sale for like 20.00, put a coroplast base inside and you have a furniture looking cage for them.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
The issue with small cages isn't just the lack of space (though that is the most prominent flaw), there's also the hygiene issue. Because there's less space, spots of urine and poop become concentrated a lot quicker. Not only is it not a nice situation for the pig to have to lie in their own waste, a high concentration of urine can lead to respiratory problems and urine scald, if left unattended too long. Unhygienic bedding can also lead to something called bumblefoot (for reference, https://www.guinealynx.info/pododermatitis.html). I'd recommend for the time being, give your cage a spot clean a few times a day instead of just once, to be on the safe side.

lunarminx

Cavy Slave
I find if you post a location, it may help, as some people have extra grids just laying around.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.