Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally getting some piggies...cage questions and more.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Finally getting some piggies...cage questions and more.

Hi, I have been a member for a long while now, because years ago I was considering getting a couple of guinea pigs but we ended up deciding that the kids were too young (my youngest would not have even been born yet, and she's 6 now).

So here I am now, years later and we have decided that we'd like to get a couple of guinea pigs. I have a rabbit cage (that I got from a friend) and have decided to expand it with storage cubes.

We won't be getting our babies until at least Christmas (They haven't even been born yet), so I have some time and am just playing around with ideas right now, and can totally change and rework things. I'd just love it if you could look at what I did today and spot any issues.

Attachment 70701Attachment 70702Attachment 70703

I intend to do aspen in the cage part and towels under fleece in the cube part. My worry is that they will be able to lift the cubes the way I have them now and that I should just make a coroplast liner. I had that big piece of vinyl lying around though, and thought it might work under there. It doesn't seem easy to lift but having never owned GPs, I don't really know what they're like tbh.

The ramps are not attached yet, and I'm still not sure how I'm going to go about doing that, maybe hinge them with zip ties or something. They are made out of (a very, very thick) cardboard, so I assume I'm pretty quickly going to have to replace them with coroplast or something, but I was thinking I might be able to seal the bottom with an acrylic non toxic sealer I have, so it will at least not become pee soaked. If anyone has a better idea for a ramp or steps or something, let me know. I want them to be able to get in and out themselves.

I know it looks like they are tucked away in the corner of some unused basement, but my kids spend 90% of their at-home time down there. Of course care will be my responsibility. I intend to put up little gates and let them do some running around in the kitchen during the day too. I am a stay-at-home-mom (even though the kids are all in school), so I have lots of time to devote.

So anyway, please pick apart my cage, and even question my knowledge (it's a good way to learn), just feel free to impart as much information as you want, especially if they were things you learned after getting your GPs. Any and all info/criticism is welcome. I haven't spent much at all on the set up so far ($12 on storage cubes), just basically used what I have lying around thus far, and it's no issue at all to change things. Water bottles, bowls and hay feeders will be added later.

I still plan to remove any pointy bits where I cut the wire cubes around the cage door. Not sure if the will use the corner potty thing...should I take the wire out though? Cardboard house is just for fun, I'll probably buy something nicer. Is it ok for them to chew the cardboard one though?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Finally getting some piggies...cage questions and more.

LOL @ Linny being my avatar. Clearly did that years ago

Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    109 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    148 Rec'd/129 Posts

I Linny. What's gonna work? TEAM WORK!
    Don't worry, I'm not crazy, I just love Linny, Tuck, and Ming-Ming.

4. "Thank you, LoveMyHerd, for this useful post," says:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

LOL, thanks, also CRUD, I just realized my very reasonably priced cubes probably have too large squares. I think the whole squares might be smaller than usual, they are 12" x 12" but only 6 across, so that's basically 2" each. My babies are going to be little'uns too, like 4 weeks old. do I have to worry about heads getting stuck?? If so, total change of plan.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Hmm, now I'm not sure. I have some in the garage that are an 8x8 grid but 14 inches instead of 12" and the actual holes aren't much smaller...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	70704

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    128 Rec'd/107 Posts

Most grids used for cages are 14 inches, not 12. I BELIEVE they're supposed to be 8 across, but I never had a C&C (I had an alternative cage), so please don't quote me on that and let someone more experienced let you know for sure.

I can let you know that your pictures do not work though!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/14 Posts

I am a newbie myself so probably not best to answer here but I am rather sure they are not supposed to be more then 1.5" and even smaller then that for babies.

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,512 Rec'd/6,002 Posts

You can babyproof the cage by putting cardboard or coroplast up the sides until their heads are too large to fit through the holes.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts

The 8 across ones are not safe. It needs to 9x9 if the grids are 14x14 inches. Even then you need to baby proof for young pigs. You could probably overlap the grids you have and still be able to use them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/16 Posts

The 8 hole and 5 hole grids are not safe, unless baby proofed like @bpatters mentioned.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    106 Rec'd/98 Posts

just a question.. you said your piggies haven't been born yet. What do you mean by that?

And for clarification about the grids, its highly recommended that you use grids with 9x9 spaces, so that their heads wont get stuck in the spaces.
    For a cage base, a lot of people use Coroplast, its corogated plastic. Hope this helps~

Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4070 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,512 Rec'd/6,002 Posts

Folks, the nine holes across recommendation is for grids that are 14 inches square. If they're smaller than that, they don't necessarily have to have nine holes across. Whatever the width of the grid, the holes just need to be small enough that the pigs can't get their heads stuck.

My two porkers would be fine with holes that are two inches across, but they're big pigs. If your pigs are smaller, you'd best stick to holes that are less than that (a 14x14 grid with 9 holes has spaces that are roughly 1.5 inches). But if the holes in your grids are too large, you can always overlaps the grids to make smaller holes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HugglesBubble View Post
    just a question.. you said your piggies haven't been born yet. What do you mean by that?

And for clarification about the grids, its highly recommended that you use grids with 9x9 spaces, so that their heads wont get stuck in the spaces.
    For a cage base, a lot of people use Coroplast, its corogated plastic. Hope this helps~

By not born, I mean they aren't yet born, LOL. There is a hobby farm near me who breeds guinea pigs (also various breed of rabbit, llama, pony, small breed pigs, etc), and in my opinion they responsibly breed a variety of guinea pigs for colour, coat and health. They aren't particularly cheap. She has a number of sows expecting. I know one might say that I'd be better to adopt, etc, but I'd rather go this route than a pet store (she produces GPs like texels ect, that I personally haven't seen in pet stores, plus I don't really like giving pet stores my business). I have seen her facility online, and it looks really good to me. All of my past pets have been rescues. I get to be selfish this time and get some babies for once. If I could pay more and get higher quality I would (I have found nothing higher quality in my area, nothing with actual pedigrees or anything, not that I need it). There has to be a place for quality guinea pigs in the market, no? I have a pretty clear idea of what I want, and she seems to be producing it. Sorry if I way over answered this question, or acted defensive, I didn't mean to be. I hope you guys can understand my position.

Hey. thanks everyone, and I think I might just do coroplast up the sides about 8 inches or so, that should keep the little ones in eh? I agree that 9x9 is best now that I've researched it. Mine are 6x6 but on a smaller grid, so they are a little bigger than 8x8 on a 14" grid. Still not great for pups though.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    106 Rec'd/98 Posts

Not to just shut you down, have you checked for a piggy shelter? I adopted a young Abyssinian from a shelter around me

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

LOL, can't I just have my babies!!? I'm excited because they should be born by the 7th of December, and we'll be driving by there (they are a bit out of town), on that day and she said I could come make a choice and put a deposit down (while they are teeny little wheekers!), and I am over-the-moon excited.

Honestly, I do hate that they are a species that commonly gets thrust aside (shame on those who do it). And I was told twice last week sentiments equating to "Oh well if you don't like them, they only live 1-2 years" REALLY? And these are people who have owned GPs. I honestly do feel sad for all the homeless GPs. And it seems only rational that I adopt, but I have chosen not to, and I hope I am not overly judged for this.
    Last edited by Shera; 11-27-14 at 09:27 pm. Reason: typo

Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    147 Rec'd/108 Posts
    Blog Entries

If I were you, I'd look around for a shelter. It's unfair to the pigs to buy from a breeder. They're already overpopulated and it's very dangerous for the mother. Adopting a homeless guinea pig is much better.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    106 Rec'd/98 Posts

Im not judging . This is a adopt, don't shop forum, although we can't force you to adopt them. I'm sure others will most definitely try to persuade you. BTW, pigs live 3-5/7 years if cared for well, not 1-2 ^^

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    123 Rec'd/86 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Shera View Post
    I get to be selfish this time and get some babies for once. If I could pay more and get higher quality I would (I have found nothing higher quality in my area, nothing with actual pedigrees or anything, not that I need it). There has to be a place for quality guinea pigs in the market, no? I have a pretty clear idea of what I want, and she seems to be producing it.
    I'm trying to understand your position, but I just can't. You have rescued animals before, so you apparently are aware of how many animals go homeless due to breeders. I understand you are wanting to go the easy or convenient route, in buying animals "produced" by a breeder, and getting caught in the cuteness of a baby guinea pig. However, you must know that this is supporting more guinea pigs being produced for profit, contributing to pet over population, and resulting in more homeless guinea pigs? Right now, there are at least 50 guinea pigs at the piggy rescue near me, with 20+ on the waiting list, not too mention 30+ on craigslist, and the ones in the mainly cat and dog shelters.

Also, what on earth do you mean by "higher quality?" You sound as if you are speaking about buying an electronic or a piece of furniture, instead of a living animal.

Since you have your heart set on babies, have you checked around at animal shelters or piggy shelters? Or on craigslist?

I'm not sure exactly where in Canada you are, but just a couple seconds on CL found me this piggy shelter in Montreal. http://montreal.craigslist.ca/pet/4769893154.html

They currently have a 4 week old baby. http://www.jiggleypiggley.com/apps/p...toid=195506080

Here is a 4 month old in Fargo http://fargo.craigslist.org/pet/4769581597.html

Here is a 1-2 month in Bellingham http://bellingham.craigslist.org/pet/4722734959.html

This little guy isn't a baby, but is an abby and super cute! http://kalispell.craigslist.org/pet/4748001766.html

Again, I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but just wanted to show you that babies are out there in case you were interested

You could always contact a guinea pig rescue (if there's one near you), asking them to contact you if they get any baby guinea pigs or a certain type of guinea pig.

20. "Thank you, dani_starr, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by HugglesBubble View Post
    Im not judging . This is a adopt, don't shop forum, although we can't force you to adopt them. I'm sure others will most definitely try to persuade you. BTW, pigs live 3-5/7 years if cared for well, not 1-2 ^^
    Oh, I know, I'm just saying that I was told by people who have actually owned them that they live 1-2 years, I know that it's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by dani_starr View Post

Also, what on earth do you mean by "higher quality?" You sound as if you are speaking about buying an electronic or a piece of furniture, instead of a living animal.
    That was probably a poor choice of wording, but I mean that it's more difficult to find certain colour and coat types at least around here. I kinda have my heart set on a grey teddy bear as one of them, and I know she produces them. As far as I know she is the only breeder in the area. I did a ton of searching and I could find no one else.

Quote Originally Posted by dani_starr View Post
    Since you have your heart set on babies, have you checked around at animal shelters or piggy shelters? Or on craigslist?

I'm not sure exactly where in Canada you are, but just a couple seconds on CL found me this piggy shelter in Montreal. http://montreal.craigslist.ca/pet/4769893154.html

They currently have a 4 week old baby. http://www.jiggleypiggley.com/apps/p...toid=195506080

Here is a 4 month old in Fargo http://fargo.craigslist.org/pet/4769581597.html

Here is a 1-2 month in Bellingham http://bellingham.craigslist.org/pet/4722734959.html

This little guy isn't a baby, but is an abby and super cute! http://kalispell.craigslist.org/pet/4748001766.html

Again, I'm not sure where in Canada you are, but just wanted to show you that babies are out there in case you were interested
    I'm in Ottawa ON, and while not many people around here use craiglist, a lot of people use Kijiji. I did look there first, which is where I found the woman who I'm buying from. I did see a few adults on there that people were trying to rehome, but not many, and none that stood out to me. My local humane society has only 1 up for adoption. I looked on Petfinder and the closest ones are over 2 hours away. If anyone knows of something in Ottawa that I'm not seeing, I'd definitely have a look.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Oh and if my pictures in my first post didn't work, I'm going to try to repost them here. I really would like some help with the cage, I know it needs work. So I'm definitely going to baby proof the cubes with coroplast. How many inches up do you think I'm going to need to go?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pigcage.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	130.6 KB 
ID:	70713Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pigcage1.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	144.1 KB 
ID:	70714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pigcage2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	134.1 KB 
ID:	70715

User Tag List