Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think I got a mis-sexed pig!

I adopted a second piggie today from a pet store (I know, I know-- don't shoot. She was an unplanned 3rd piggie and on her way to a shelter due to lack of space when I went in to pick up hay. It's a local store and they're pretty good at doing health checks and stuff; I hold their critters often and do my own checks beforehand to make sure I don't pick up anything and get my piggie Molly (a legit rescue) sick. So I brought her home and I was looking at her in her quarantine cage and I think she might be a he??????? I can't tell-- I'm no good at sexing, I had a vet sex after I got her but I've moved recently and there's no cavy-savvy vet near me (I can go to Molly's vet for legit health care but she's over two hours away now.) Can you guys help me sex my piggie? I don't want to do intros until I know for sure. The piggies only came in last week and I'm 99% sure the local stores supplier (god I hate that word/idea) sends the pups out at 3.5 weeks, so she'd be about 4 weeks now I think? Definitely a baby, she's super tiny. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0263.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	187.8 KB 
ID:	70641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0264.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	70642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0265.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	206.0 KB 
ID:	70643 I tried to do the thing where you get the penis to pop out but I can't tell if I'm doing it right.

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)

Re: I think I got a mis-sexed pig!

99.9% sure that's a boy.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ahhhhh. If I do have a boy, what are my options for preventing pregnancy? I want Molly to have a cage-mate but she's almost 2 and has already had ~2 litters (she was a breeding pig before I got her) so I feel like that gives an elevated risk of complications? I'm a student so I can't afford crazy-high vet charges-- I planned for and can handle the charges for check-ups and everythign, but I didnt plan on a spay/neuter fee. I read somewhere that it's close to $200?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    14 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Definitely a boy. The only options you have are neutering him, keeping them separate (you'll have to make sure no one can escape), or returning him.

I paid $200 for my boy to be neutered. It varies depending on the vet/area.

User Tag List