Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pellets Took my pig off pellets, I hope I made the right decision.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Okay so I made the decision to take my Cinna off pellets because he would extrude calcium in his urine like crazy and was leaving white spots on the fleece. Before we took him off the pellets we took away the veggies but that didn't help so we then thought it must be the pellets. So far I haven't seen anything in his urine since we've done this. Now I'm not sure if I need to supplement vitamin C. So if you could help and tell me when I would need to give him vitamin C? So far he gets corn husks and silks, green leaf lettuce, Belgium endive and radicchio. Is there anything else I could give him? I just don't want to have to go through what I did with Star with Cinna I just couldn't deal of I lost him to the same thing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How old is he? If he's less than six months, you don't need to worry about it. He needs the calcium worse than you need to worry about stones.

If he's older than six months, limiting his diet is a good idea. But none of what you're giving him has much vitamin C in it. Bell pepper is the best source. See https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...vy-Nutrition-Charts-amp-Poisonous-Plants-List for what vegetables have what amount of vitamin C.

However, it certainly won't hurt to give him some extra C. Just find a plain human vitamin C tablet, and aim at giving him about 30 mg. a day. If you can find a children's chewable, he may like that, as they're sometimes flavored.

Incidentally, he's not extruding calcium. Extrusion is a manufacturing process by which some material is forced through a specifically shaped hole to create a product. Pellets are extruded. Plastic parts are extruded. Calcium is excreted.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Okay thank you and he's 3 years old.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.