Thread: Hay in eye...TWICE...salvageable?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hay in eye...TWICE...salvageable?

TWICE over the past six weeks my daughter discovered Napoleon's right eye looked a little hazy and discovered straw in his eye. The straw had not penetrated the eye, and she removed it immediately. After the first episode, his eye seemed much improved but then this happened again yesterday. Please see picture which was take 12 hours after the second episode (left eye also pictured for comparison). Why is this happening?? Does the eye appear salvageable?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 9.33.31 AM.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	70345  

Thanks
    Thanks
    156 Rec'd/122 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Re: Hay in eye...TWICE...salvageable?

One of my girls is prone to eye injuries and crusties. I have to check her every morning and every night to make sure they are clear and hay free. I can also tell if there is a problem if she's blinking her eyes alot. In fact, I just pulled a peice out this morning. You would think she would learn after the first few times. She's very pretty but not too bight.
    I hope Napoleon is okay.

3. "Thank you, miniver, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does her eye turn foggy as Napoleon's has?

Quote Originally Posted by miniver View Post
    One of my girls is prone to eye injuries and crusties. I have to check her every morning and every night to make sure they are clear and hay free. I can also tell if there is a problem if she's blinking her eyes alot. In fact, I just pulled a peice out this morning. You would think she would learn after the first few times. She's very pretty but not too bight.
    I hope Napoleon is okay.

Thanks
    Thanks
    156 Rec'd/122 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

Not yet, thankfully. It looks like your piggy has more than a simple hay poke. I think you should take him to a vet, but I don't know alot about this stuff. Here's the link to the sight many of us seem to be using for medical advice.

http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#signs

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    185 Rec'd/112 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)

I say he needs to see the vet. I had a piggy named Ellie who crawled through her hay and shoved her entire head right in. One day she started acting REALLY strange, took her out of the cage and saw that something was really wrong with her eye. We took her to the vet the second they opened in the morning. They ended up having to put her under to get at a piece of hay seed that was a good two inches long that had gotten behind her eye.

My point? Just because you caught two of them before they got behind the eye doesn't mean that another piece didn't. That eye looks super painful and I would take him in to the vet asap.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,517 Rec'd/1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    575 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1119 Post(s)

It appears that he has a corneal abrasion.....probably from a hay poke. An analogy for us would be something that female contact lens wearers are all too familiar with. A piece of mascara gets under the lens and in rubbing it to get the offending particle out, you end up scratching the cornea.

It's not life-threatening if it happens to be a corneal abrasion, but certainly needs to be treated by a competent vet. He probably needs to be diagnosed properly, and drops and/or an ophthalmic ointment prescribed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

Yikes... Is the hay you buy really dry or hard? Or does your pig just shove its whole head in the hayrack or something?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,170 Rec'd/5,708 Posts
    Mentioned
    2013 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3741 Post(s)

Eye injuries are very painful. He needs antibiotic drops, which only a vet can prescribe, and possibly something for pain.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner T1ggerPigLuvur's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    151 Rec'd/99 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

I would take him to the vet as soon as possible, eye injuries are painful. (My pig, Adi, poked herself in the eye with hay last year, and it looked exactly like that. I took her in to the vet and she just had to take some antibiotics and eye drops for a few weeks, and now her eye is back to normal).

Keep us posted!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I grabbed some eye triple-antibiotic we had around the house. I'm not sure if it was the medicine or just time (he looked a lot better just 12 hours after the first application), but you can see he looks much better!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 9.06.18 AM.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	100.4 KB 
ID:	70396

Quote Originally Posted by springerrr View Post
    TWICE over the past six weeks my daughter discovered Napoleon's right eye looked a little hazy and discovered straw in his eye. The straw had not penetrated the eye, and she removed it immediately. After the first episode, his eye seemed much improved but then this happened again yesterday. Please see picture which was take 12 hours after the second episode (left eye also pictured for comparison). Why is this happening?? Does the eye appear salvageable?

Thanks
    Thanks
    156 Rec'd/122 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quoted
    84 Post(s)

I'm glad to hear that Napoleon's doing much better. Hopefully he's learned his lesson...but probably not. Hay tastes better when you dive right in! Keep those eye drops handy.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Eye injuries should be treated with a special ophthalmic antibiotic cream. Triple is fine to use for everywhere else, but the eyes should have special ointment applied to them. Keep an eye on him in case it causes any irritation.

After a hay poke, or just a little hay in the corner of the eye, I like to do a saline flush of the eye. I use a syringe so as it goes in the direction it should (toward the nose), but if you don't have a syringe (one without a needle, FYI), you can just soak a wash cloth in it and wipe toward the nose, not toward the ears, which ensures anything you move around or dislodge gets pushed further out instead of further in.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No, no this was ophthalmologic ointment..no worries!
    Thank you for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    Eye injuries should be treated with a special ophthalmic antibiotic cream. Triple is fine to use for everywhere else, but the eyes should have special ointment applied to them. Keep an eye on him in case it causes any irritation.

After a hay poke, or just a little hay in the corner of the eye, I like to do a saline flush of the eye. I use a syringe so as it goes in the direction it should (toward the nose), but if you don't have a syringe (one without a needle, FYI), you can just soak a wash cloth in it and wipe toward the nose, not toward the ears, which ensures anything you move around or dislodge gets pushed further out instead of further in.

User Tag List