Thread: Guinea pig allergy symptoms even when outside?

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Guinea pig allergy symptoms even when outside?

Hello!

I had my 2 guinea pigs for a few months and mom is claiming that she has allergies because of them. She constantly sneezes and has a stuffy/runny nose for the past few weeks. When it gets really bad, she gets massive headaches.
    My guess was that these symptoms are due to seasonal changes - it's finally starting to get colder here in Texas and she sometimes do have seasonal allergies- but mom insists it's because of the guineas.
    She shows the symptoms even when she is outside and away from home, and says it does get a little better if she takes allergy medicine but not by much.

So my question is if you're allergic guineas, do the symptoms still show outside of the house? Or might her symptoms more due to seasonal changes?
    I really need opinions (and facts if possible) on this. :'(

Mom is very insistent that I give away the guinea pigs as soon a possible because she can't live with them due to the allergies. I, of course, don't want to have to give them up for adoption if possible. We had a guinea pig before some years ago, but this is the first time having 2 guineas at once. Mom claims her allergies are because of all the hair/urine 2 guineas make.

((We currently keep the guineas in the living room since we don't have a garage and keeping them outside on the patio may get too cold during the night))
    ((We also use fleece and Carefresh bedding for the kitchen area.))

Mentioned
    2120 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4105 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,543 Rec'd/6,026 Posts

Re: Guinea pig allergy symptoms even when outside?

It's far more likely that she's allergic to their hay than to the guinea pigs themselves. If you're using timothy hay, try some meadow grass or orchard grass and see if that's better. You'll need to clean the cage well to get all the timothy out of the area, and if she handles the pigs, you'll need to bathe them when the cage is cleaned.

But if her allergy symptoms remain when she's outside the home, it's not likely to be the guinea pigs, I wouldn't think. They're very non-allergenic animals, and not many people are truly allergic to the pigs themselves.

Cavy Newbie
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Re: Guinea pig allergy symptoms even when outside?

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    It's far more likely that she's allergic to their hay than to the guinea pigs themselves. If you're using timothy hay, try some meadow grass or orchard grass and see if that's better. You'll need to clean the cage well to get all the timothy out of the area, and if she handles the pigs, you'll need to bathe them when the cage is cleaned.

But if her allergy symptoms remain when she's outside the home, it's not likely to be the guinea pigs, I wouldn't think. They're very non-allergenic animals, and not many people are truly allergic to the pigs themselves.
    I always do the cage cleaning and such since mom thinks they're super dirty. She mostly just gives them vegetables and occasionally holds them with a towel.

I may try different hay if I can convince mom to actually listen to me and keep the guineas for longer. Right now she's so dead set on blaming her symptoms on the guineas that she's not willing to hear a different argument.

User Tag List