Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Weight My guinea pig is fat!

pigslave1

Cavy Slave
Okay, my guinea pig, Peaches, is unusually large. Not only is he almost a foot around, but he is very long. When I first got him, he wasn't eating much, because he was scared all the time. I think I started to over feed him. I feel like a terrible owner. Now, his natural instict is to store up fat for the winter. Well, he treats his pellets like candy, so I cut him down on those. Now, he only gets them occasionally. I always keep his hay filled, because that is essential. Though, he eats all that, too. He is lazy, but the sweetest, most cute thing in the WHOLE WORLD!!!!!! I love him so much and I want to do what's best for him. HELP!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
So maybe he's a cuy. They get larger than regular guinea pigs.

How much does he weigh? Can you post a picture?

He really only needs 1/8 cup of pellets per day -- they're the least important part of his diet.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Usually guinea pigs aren't obese they're naturally chubby. I would weigh him with a kitchen scale.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Does he have a companion? Having a companion keeps a pig more active, and more healthy.

Christin Barnes

Cavy Slave
My guinea pig was under weight when I got him so I was surprised when he got chubby and thought he was overweight. When I switched his pellets to a new brand, he started eating ALL of them instead of just eating them a little bit at a time throughout the day. I have to make sure I meausre out the 1/8th cup (I put a little measuring cup in my bag to make sure) so he doesn't overeat them. Perhaps you should weigh your pig to see where it's at? I need to get a new scale because mine won't register his small weight unless I try to weigh myself and then get on with him and do the math.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=32727]Christin Barnes[/MENTION] you can use a kitchen scale.

grace&piggies

Cavy Slave
Mega pig! Please weigh him and post pigtures. My girl is only about 1100g.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.