Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions Soft poop but otherwise normal piggie (3.5 year old female)

helteralan

Cavy Slave
Really struggling to find out a health issue with (my favourite) piggie. She is active, eating well... she is the alpha female (and still a little evil to the others sometimes haha!) but her poop is soft, like the consistency of soft dough. It´s not runny by any means, but the back passage is a bit dirty too.
I did take her to the local vet hospital, and they are small animal certified and the 2 vets have Guinea Pigs themselves so are familiar with them... but they could find no causes for the symptoms. Pulse, temp, brething etc were fine. Her weight was a touch down during the initial phase but she was more lethargic a week or so ago. All back to normal

Thadeus was worse a week or so ago but round the clock tending and Critical care brought her "back to normal" but it´s back again only less severe.

Anyone have similar experiences or an idea. As i said, she eats, drinks and acts as normal. The piggies daily veg intake includes carrots, salad (not Iceberg), Bell Peppers and Cucumber in the morning. The other females in the same cage are fine. Could she just be sensitive to too much veg?

Any feedback is appreciated

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Generally when a pig has soft poop but no other symptoms, the usual procedure is to take them off all veggies for a couple of days. If the poop firms up, then you can start adding veggies back one by one, allowing 48 hours or so in between each one. That way, if it's one veggie causing the problem, you can identify it and eliminate it from the diet.

If the poop doesn't firm up after a couple of days with food, then she should go back to the vet for a fecal smear or float, or just a trial of metronidazole (Flagyl), since it's likely an organism in the intestines that's causing it.

helteralan

Cavy Slave
Thanks for that very concise reply, i actually took them off veggies from this morning so i will let you know how it goes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.