Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other Stubborn pig

babygirl2211

Cavy Slave
Hi guys needing advice my guinea pig piggy has been getting on my last nerve lately he's been dumping his bowl upside down lately I feed him in the morning when I get up and about 5 mins later I check on him and he has dumped over his bowl with food in it how do I get him to stop it doesn't matter where I put the bowl either also I clean his cage quite often since he does dump his food but also he likes taking his hay out of his bucket and doesn't eat it I have seen him it his hay normally but somehow and some reason the next morning he has a layer of hay on his bedding why is he doing this and how do I stop him?!?!?!

ibeabluedevil

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem with my boys, so I used a piece of duct tape to put on the bottom of their bowls to hold them down and it worked. It held it down very well and they were unable to turn it over , maybe you could try that.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
What type of bowl are you using? I've never had a problem with my piggies knocking over their heavy ceramic bowl. It's just one of the souffle like types.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't put duct tape on the bowl. If they get to it, they can eat it which can cause an obstruction. Look for a low lipped, glass or ceramic ashtray. They can't tip those. You can find them cheap at Goodwill, thrift stores or garage sales.

ibeabluedevil

Cavy Slave
The duct tape was on the bottom of the bowl where they couldn't get to it at all, and it did work for me. They weren't able to turn the bowl over nor eat the duct tape. The bowl I had was a heavy ceramic bowl, but somehow they were still able to flip it over until I tried using the tape.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You can get feeding bowls that clip to the side of the cage.

bishang

Cavy Slave
I had that problem and recently switched to a bowl that has straight sides and that seemed to fix the problem.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
i use a heavy ceramic cat food bowl. it has a flat bottom and low sides, and they can't knock it over. also for the hay, i let my guinea pigs make a big mess of their hay because they love to play in it. some people have a seperate kitchen for their hay, and sometimes even a tunnel or ramp leading to it to stop them from dragging out most of the hay. good luck :)

labeadel

Cavy Slave
I have a bowl and hay feeder that sits on the outside and they can't flip that over. But they do have a light plastic bowl I use for their veggies that they use as a toy once the veggies are gone. I find that bowl all over the darn place!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.