Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Finished my first C&C. Any changes needed? Did I do anything wrong?

Ash14

Cavy Slave
Hey guys, I've been on here for awhile but just now finished my C&C this weekend (minus the ramp which I'll do in a few). She's always had the 2x4 base since the week after I got her but I've never really added the finishing touches until now. So my question is, does everything look okay? Should I change anything or did I do anything wrong? I just want the best for my girl. Still going to add the ramp and a few more hidies and a hammock, but this is what I've gotten so far. Also how do you bend the grid to make the ramp? And she does have a hay rack, it's just hidden in the pics behind the fleece forest. Thanks!
cageeee.jpg
cage.jpg
cagee.jpg
cageee.jpg
Also sorry for the really crappy coro job. That's obviously not my strong suit. The duct tape is beautiful, I know. Haha. But hey it gets the job done.

Tarams

Cavy Slave
Beautiful cage, love the fleece. Can't help you on the ramp issue, but everything else looks good. Will she be getting a friend to share her new diggs with?

Ash14

Cavy Slave
Beautiful cage, love the fleece. Can't help you on the ramp issue, but everything else looks good. Will she be getting a friend to share her new diggs with?

Hopefully so! There are no guinea pig rescues near me and I'm NOT going to buy one from a pet store, so we're just waiting for the right one to come along! The last attempt it turned out to be a male, and a very aggressive one at that. I do hope we can find one soon though, she's so lonely she gets all excited when even a dog walks in! Lool3

lissie

Cavy Slave
Nine cage! I would turn the kitchen tray the other way, so she has more space to run around.

For the ramp, check out the galleries. There are many ways to build a ramp.
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

Have you contact Texas Rustlers Small Animal Rescue? They might have guinea pigs in your area.
https://www.theguineapigrescue.com/

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Where in Texas are you? There are a number of rescues in all the larger cities.

Ash14

Cavy Slave
I'm in a small town outside of San Antonio. About 2-3 hours away.

Ash14

Cavy Slave
I've checked out Texas Rustlers on Facebook. If I'm ever in the area I'd definitely go there, it's just really far from me, Texas is HUGE haha

lissie

Cavy Slave
Why not email them? They might have foster homes in your area.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks very nice! I like the pattern of the fleece, I'm guessing you like purple?

I second turning the tray the other way so it's going against the side, as opposed to the back.

You could also switch it and the hidey's location if it wouldn't be a pain to get the kitchen out from under the loft? That way, when you have the ramp built, the whole left side will have lots of space for her to roam :)

If there are no rescues/fosters near you, have you tried looking on craigslist? While it's not the best place to get piggies (health wise, along with that you could end up with a pregnant piggie), it's an option if there are no other piggies that you can get.

YinYangPiggies

Cavy Slave
Nice! I have & LOVE that fleece!!

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
Oh, your coroplast looks ten times better than mine! It wasn't wide enough, so I had to cut some length off and tape it to the side. By the time I was done there was five pieces of Coro taped together. I cut/scored it and it was done...! And it didn't fit. I had to re-measure, re-score, and re-fold, and it just barely fits now.

Ash14

Cavy Slave
Good ideas! I might move the kitchen now. She never leaves it though lol. I think she likes the bedding. And I'm SOOOOOO glad someone else has had coro probs! I felt like a complete idiot haha.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
For the ramp, if no one gave advice (I skimmed the replies :p) make sure to wear shoes. Tennis, not slippers, trust me lol. And stand on a end, and pull. You can also sit on your knees and do it..but the grid squares put that pressure on you and it just xD hurts.
I've also heard of heating the grids in a oven for like 10 mins, IVE NEVER TRIED IT.
Other wise, your cage looks adorable. May I ask why you have extra grids on the..closest to the wall, on the same level as the loft, but two outward? They're the grids that *completely* show against the blue wall? Which I'm jealous of. Very much. Other than that...cute! Pictures of your pig, mmk? ;)

Ash14

Cavy Slave
For the ramp, if no one gave advice (I skimmed the replies :p) make sure to wear shoes. Tennis, not slippers, trust me lol. And stand on a end, and pull. You can also sit on your knees and do it..but the grid squares put that pressure on you and it just xD hurts.
I've also heard of heating the grids in a oven for like 10 mins, IVE NEVER TRIED IT.
Other wise, your cage looks adorable. May I ask why you have extra grids on the..closest to the wall, on the same level as the loft, but two outward? They're the grids that *completely* show against the blue wall? Which I'm jealous of. Very much. Other than that...cute! Pictures of your pig, mmk? ;)

How many grids do I bend in? I just see that going completely wrong for me haha. And I have no clue why those grids are there tbh. I just noticed that too. I had a lot of extras so I guess I was just sticking them places lol.

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave
Depends on what kind of ramp you're wanting to make. Sorry for late reply >.> phone died lol.
You don't want the ramp to be steep, and your loft is a foot off the ground..I'd say o.e (just guessing) 1-2 grids would be needed for the ramp itself? I would bend it so that the curved part where it bends upward, is facing the grids toward the blue wall. (Like a C without the top part of it.) that way your pigs won't be able (hopefully) to jump off it. You ziptie the grid diagonally, going downward until you think it won't be to steep.

If you want to cover the ramp for extra safety ( or maybe you want to make a tunnel :p) use another grid and make it going to the other way. so it kinds looks like the Letter U fell over to the right. (Like a C) ...I'm not good at describing..would a picture help any? xD

Ash14

Cavy Slave
Haha it's all good! Thank you. I'll do that this evening after class hopefully!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.