Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet Questions to ask a vet

Guardian Starka

Cavy Slave
I am doing someresearch on finding a local veterinary that takes care of guinea pigsor at least a vet that is closer then 3 hours, that was the closest onthe Guinea Lynx list.
I think thatmost of the vets around here are just dog/cat/large animals none of themreally say their exotic, but the few vets that do have websites state theyhave taken care of 'Pocket Pets'. Which I don't think it really means they haveseen guinea pigs per say, but just small animals.
I have read it’sgood to question a vet but thought what do I ask them? I don't think if Ijust ask them 'do you take guinea pigs?' I will get an honest answer.I want to make sure that if something does happen that my guineapigs are given the right care.

So I thought that maybe my new friends could give me some advice or somequestions to ask to help find the right vet.
Thanks All!

hatley1717

Cavy Slave
I am doing someresearch on finding a local veterinary that takes care of guinea pigsor at least a vet that is closer then 3 hours, that was the closest onthe Guinea Lynx list.
I think thatmost of the vets around here are just dog/cat/large animals none of themreally say their exotic, but the few vets that do have websites state theyhave taken care of 'Pocket Pets'. Which I don't think it really means they haveseen guinea pigs per say, but just small animals.
I have read it’sgood to question a vet but thought what do I ask them? I don't think if Ijust ask them 'do you take guinea pigs?' I will get an honest answer.I want to make sure that if something does happen that my guineapigs are given the right care.

So I thought that maybe my new friends could give me some advice or somequestions to ask to help find the right vet.
Thanks All!

You can ask if the have TREATED guinea pigs before.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
My "trick" question for screening new vets is what to do when a guinea pig gets a cold. Obviously ask it hypothetically, and then a vet with experience in guinea pigs should reply that there's nothing to do, because guinea pigs physically do not get colds.

Guardian Starka

Cavy Slave
Thanks Everyone!
Lol, I can't believe I completely missed that list of questions on Guinea Lynx. I must of just skipped it before I looked for the find vet link. That site has a lot of great info and its a lot to read. I will also add the Cold question to my list.
So I have another question about a question, to vet: how many cavies do you treat each month?, how many is enough?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.