Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Female guinea pig is mean to my pregnant guinea pig.

Iggy2cute

Cavy Gazer
Hi! I'm new to this site and it is awesome!! I used to own a guinea pig (male) when I was a younger girl and now my daughter owns two female guinea pigs. She bought them from a pet store and apparently they BOTH were pregnant when we bought them. Of course we did not know this. Iggy had one baby (thank goodness!) on Oct. 16 with no complications. Baby and mama are both doing fine. Rosie looks to give birth any time now. Iggy and Rosie got along okay in the beginning, even after Iggy's baby was born, but now that Rosie is probably closer to her due date Iggy has been real mean to her. In fact, we had to separate them because we were worried Iggy was stressing Rosie out and possibly hurting her. Is this normal? I don't want Rosie to end up depressed. I'm not sure what's going on and I don't know what to do. Can someone help us on this?:sad:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How big is the cage? If you got the cage from a pet store, it's not large enough for one pig, much less two sows and a pup, plus more on the way. Crowded cage conditions are a major reason for aggression. Click the Main tab at the top of this page for recommended cage sizes, and remember that bigger is ALWAYS better.

Iggy2cute

Cavy Gazer
Yes we did purchase it from the store. It is 76.2cm x 46.99cm. We have been looking at bigger cages but we can't afford one at the moment. Do I just need to keep them separated until we can get a bigger cage?

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
If you separate them, you may trouble putting them back together again later. If you want them to live together, you should probably find a way to extend the cage.

That cage is too small for one pig, much less two or three. Or more. Look at the alternative cages section in the photo galleries and see if you can come up with some way to give them more space.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
C&C cages are very inexpensive to build, if money is an issue. The grids can be purchased at Bed Bath and Beyond, and Coroplast is sold at sign shops.
Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.