Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Mother and daughter pair?

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
My piggy recently gave birth to three adorable pups. My mom says I'm only allowed to keep one, an it has to be a female. I'll be sad to let two go, but four pigs would be hard for me to handle anyway. I know litter mates make good pairs, but does the same apply with mothers and daughters? If I keep a little baby, would they bond and be pals? I doubt my guinea is too old, but she came from a pet store, so there isn't a way to know for sure. She gave birth flawlessly, so (unless she's had a litter before) she has to be pretty young. Would keeping a female and her living with Scarlet be a good idea?

Also, I can't get my piggies to stay still long enough to sex them... Any tips?

pigger123

Cavy Slave
I have my Pumpkin and one of her daughters (Rhoo) living together. My piggy gave birth to 3 girls and a boy, and all 3 girls lived together with mom for a few months with no issues apart from the occasional bickering over hideys. Then I rehomed 2 of the girls, and now I have just Rhoo and her mom. They get along fine but they aren't particularly bonded. They don't snuggle or anything, and they don't like sharing things, but they don't fight. I don't think there's much risk of mom and daughter not getting along, but don't count on them loving each other.

Kenna18155

Cavy Slave
I know this is an old thread, but I have an update. I kept one of the pups, who will be two months tomorrow. She's getting along with Scarlet alright, but as you said, they aren't always best friends.

The little one tried to hop into a hidey occupied by Scarlet, and Scarlet rumbled at her. The little on quickly walked to a new hidey. I also heard a report from my sisters that they were disagreeing again while I was asleep and Scarlet shooed her away. This is all normal "dominance" behavior, right? Should I be worried?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Ive had two mother and daughter pairs. One pair had a very dominant daughter that pestered her mom their whole life. The other pair had a dominant mother. These two usually slept together and when I introduced them to my others and had them in a herd. the mother became very overprotective of her daughter. She attacked another in the group when she dared to sleep next to the daughter. I ended up putting mom and daughter in a cage of their own. A couple of years later, I took in a young one and introduced her to the pair. They never allowed her to sleep with them but the younger would would play tag with her once in awhile.

Scooterpig

Cavy Slave
I have a mother-daughter pair (also have the two sons from the litter paired!). They are generally quite content together but Mum (Blossom) is definitely the boss! She's not slow to give Petal a telling off if she steps out of line (and sometimes even when she doesn't!). It can be quite comical. Petal is a very happy wee girl so it all washes over her. Usually she gets a row, stops whatever she was doing for a few seconds, Blossom walks away, then Petal goes right back to whatever misdeed she was up to!

The two boys on the other hand are pretty chilled out together and like to lounge around. There has been the odd rumble but very infrequent and nothing significant. They're like a pair of lazy bachelors. Their cage is generally a mess five minutes after I've cleaned it!

kimclifford10

Cavy Slave
The rumbling and chasing is perfectly normal, especially as the baby gets older and starts to challenge mom's status (like any teenager does lol). It's just dominance behavior like you suspected. Keep an eye on them to make sure it doesn't get out of hand, but they will probably be fine.

I had 2 foster pigs who gave birth last spring, and they were adopted out with their daughters. One pig, Spice, had 1 daughter we named Paprika. They were adopted together and are doing great. The other mom, Sugar, was adopted with her daughters, Rolo and Skittles, and they are getting along nicely.

Best of luck with your girls!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.