Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Chins New to chinchillas :)

adeline_xoxo
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Hi, my family used to have chinchillas, and they never needed to go to the vet.
Tips:
1. Never get a chinchilla wet.
2. Give them a fresh dust bath at least once a week (In the wild they take one every day, so if you can afford that much dust-the more the merrier!)
3. ALWAYS get a cage with as many levels as possible. (You can make one out of a bookshelf)
4. Chinchillas need a buddy, just like guinea pigs.
5. Always give your chinchilla plenty of outside playtime :)

adeline_xoxo
adeline_xoxo

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You can either make your own, modified bookshelves can be good, or you can get a Ferret Nation cage and modify it for chins by removing the plastic trays and shelves and replacing them with metal trays and lots of wooden shelves.

Chinchillas have a pretty similar diet to piggies, but they are also very different. Chins need a cage with multiple levels and plenty of space to leap and jump, they need to stay cool (air conditioning is pretty much a requirement), they tend to be more destructive by chewing on everything (you can't have anything plastic in their cage), they need dust baths, they need an exercise wheel, etc. Keep in mind that any pet, no matter what, might need to go to the vet at some point and they need an exotic vet like piggies. And chinchillas are most definitely not cheap to take care of. The Chins and Hedgies forum is great for doing more research, and there are some other good forums

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
Yes, the HEALTHIEST thing to do for chinchillas is to build (super easy) a cage out of a bookshelf. Just like guinea pigs, the cages that pet stores sell are not very good for the animal. Good luck!:)
So I live in Tualatin, Oregon USA. Where is the best place to buy a cage for them from and also the cheapest? Thanks!! @LoveMyHerd f you can help :)

LoveMyHerd

Cavy Slave
By the way, it's also WAY cheaper than buying a cage.

3GPigsplus1more

Cavy Slave
Hi so I've done a little research in chinchillas like food and illnesses and stuff and they seem like they are really similar to guinea pigs. Also do they have to go to the vet a lot and are they expensive? I'm thinking on getting one but want to do as much research as possible and make sure I can care for it financially. Thanks!!

Chinchillla's are completely different from Guinea pigs!!!
You need to do your research. In chinchillla's, breeding is a very large factor if you will be dishing out lots of money . Yes, they are very expensive if they are ill. Many people believe that fruit and veggies are ok for chins, not at all. It will kill them. I don't want to scare you they are such wonderful animals but you need to be prepared. They are chewers, wooden shelves do not work for many. Also the wood has to be kiln dried pine with no coatings. After seeing the determination of many chinchillas I only recommend a ferret nation or critter nation. Other springs latch cages or simple cages can be escaped.
Feeding is simple chinchilla pellets and hay with small amounts of treats of Rosehip and applewood twigs.
Playtime has to be supervised with them, they run and jump and chew. They can get hurt very easily and your home can get a lot of teeth makes.
Please go through this site thoroughly:

(broken link removed)

With the proper cage, care and food they will live a long life. They live 15-20 years. They are very sweet and social but they are not ones to be held like guinea pigs. They rather run around.
If you have any questions about them please do not hesitate to ask me.

prettynyguen

Cavy Slave
I read up quite a bit on having Chinchilla's for pets, and they're completely different than guinea pigs. First, they live a really long time (up to 20 years). Second, they can jump really high, and need to have a safe place for play time. Third, the vet bills are super expensive. Fourth, they require special cages with lots of wooden shelves to chew. Fifth, they aren't really cuddly and tend to be very active. Sixth, they are most active at dawn and dusk, so make sure they are kept where they won't keep you awake. These are all the things I can remember off the top of my head. They sound like a fun pet, but require a lot of work and research before hand.

Deniselynn

Cavy Slave
I had chinchillas years ago. I agree with what the others have said. They are different than guinea pigs. I think they are a bit more difficult as far as care. They don't like to be held. They are much more active. They are more active chewers. The dust baths really got to me. If you have a special room for them that would be ideal.

dani_starr

Cavy Slave
Chinchillas are nothing like guinea pigs. I had a pair of them growing up, and while they were incredibly cute, they aren't snuggly like most domestic animals. They can get into mischief quicker than you can catch them, as they are VERY fast. They can escape out of designated play areas very easily, because not only can they climb, they can jump too.

I guess they are similar to guinea pigs in one aspect, they are little poop machines. lol

Here's a cute video of a chinchilla during play time, so you can see what it's like :)

[video=youtube;r7XN_47KT4g]

By the way, if you are looking for a snuggly companion, I highly recommend rats. Rats are seriously like little dogs in a rat body. They truly enjoy spending time with their people, a lot of them love to snuggle, will climb onto you hand happily for play time/don't mind being picked up, can be litter box trained to some extent, and incredibly intelligent.

Rats are rarely skittish, and love to explore. They are almost polar opposites compared to guinea pigs and chinchillas. While guinea pigs (are at least my guinea pigs) love their cage and happily go back in their cage after floor time and lap time, rats (or at least, all of my rats), will climb up the cage walls and want/try to come out again. )

aqh88

Cavy Slave
Ferret nation and critter nations (flimsy bars sometimes on the critter nation version) are the usual cages bought for chins. A double is 2x3x4'h and around $200. https://www.ferret.com/item/ferret-nation-habitat-model-182-double-unit/650431/ All plastic must be replaced. Bass equipment sells metal pans that fit both cages. Wooden shelves and houses are needed. They also need a metal only wheel which start at $50.

This is one of mine
https://s1321.photobucket.com/user/takakageri/media/chinchilla/DSCN2096_zpsd03e26ca.jpg.html

I have a triple cage I haven't finished putting shelves to the top yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.