Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Yikes! Guinea got under the patio, almost fell out of the cage!

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to post a warning, after we discovered, upon hearing an odd chewing sound, that Buttercup must have lifted their patio, and hopped over the coro side, ending up out of sight. At one end of their 2 x 6 C&C cage, I have placed a patio, with a half grid overhang. The patio is supported with two bars, but no grids per se, unlike some loft designs.

We have had this set up for several months, no issues until last night. Given that I tend to reconfigure the cage relatively often, I must admit to having not built that corner properly, and it there was a half grid missing, at the bottom, in a corner, under the patio.

Not sure if I am explaining it well! After pulling her out, I secured some bent grids in an upside down L shape, over the edge of the coro, meaning that she can't pop the patio up again, nor jump over the coro.

I have noticed that Buttercup enjoys lifting her hay racks, making a huge noise, and must have done the same thing to the patio.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Could you post a picture of your patio? I'm not I understand what it looked like, and how the piggy was able to hop over the coroplast.

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
Here goes! So it is a patio, as sold in the cage store - not a loft - has 2 metal support bars that hold the coro patio at mid grid height. My guineas are jumpers, I guess, as they happily hop up onto the patio (I used blocks at first but they didn't use them). Must have taken a fair amount of strength to push the patio up (it is a tight fit) but if another piggy was already on the patio, she could have flattened/returned the tilted patio in place, thereby trapping Buttercup underneath (she had lots of room, but was on bare grids, no easy way back unless she popped the patio back up, harder further back). cage break.jpg

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
And here is the under the patio - but with the two bent grids that I've now added
cage break2.jpg

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Oh, I see. Good thing you were there to fix it! Thanks for sharing this.

Chloe_s_mom

Cavy Slave
I think it was a fluke, combined with Buttercup being big, strong, and tending to enjoy popping things up (like their hay racks) Still, she could have been there a while, before dropping to the floor and becoming a playmate for the dogs.... :(

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.