Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Want a Guinea Pig(s) Petsmart piggies?

AddysPiggies

Cavy Slave
I was wondering if piggies from petsmart were ok to get. I know a lot of people have trouble buying them from petco but idk about petsmart. I want a new pig and all of the near by rescues don't have a pig that is right for me. So I was just wondering if u guys had any experience?

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Adopt don't shop! Piggies from any pet store come from mills where they don't give squat about the piggies. Guinea pigs from pet shops will most likely be unhealthy

AddysPiggies

Cavy Slave
Ok thank u so much! I just feel so bad for the poor pigs there in there tiny cages[emoji17]

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
Last time I went to petsmart for food and some hay I saw baby guinea pigs I was just sitting there for like 5 minutes thinking about how cute they were! The baby guinea pigs looked about a month old

AddysPiggies

Cavy Slave
OMG so cuuuttteee! There was a super cute on there and I wanted him so bad here's a pic ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413376070.613112.jpg

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
He is adorable! I wish pet store piggies were actually healthy :( My cousins got one a while back thought it was a guy actually a girl.

If you want a piggie try petfinder or craigslist

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
The pigs are adorably cute, wherever you see them, even in pet stores. The problem is, if you buy one, the store orders another to take its place. That other pup, the one you can't see yet, will have come from a huge group of guinea pigs kept in large enclosures, interbred, the result of back-to-back pregnancies in the sows, and where it is likely exposed to respiratory illnesses and parasites. Do you want to do that to the next pig? Or the one after that? Or to the poor sow that is kept continually pregnant? Think about them when you're thinking about how cute that pig in the store is.

If you get a pig from a rescue or shelter, you'll get a pig that needs a home, and will be just as cute as the one in the store. You'll free up a place for another pig to be rescued. You won't be supporting the huge breeding mills that supply the big stores. And a reputable rescue will make sure your pig is as healthy as possible and is the sex it's reported to be.

Koti Massey

Cavy Gazer
I actually work at Petsmart, I can tell you the employees kinda dont know what they are doing in most situations, one of the pet care employees actually tells customers to come find me when they have pig questions, I direct them to Piggie Poo, the rescue I go to, im kinda the resident pig expert but PP knows much more than I, our pigs seem happy, they play, get hay and pellets every day, they get oxbow, so our pigs are taken care of, I watch them close to make sure everyone is at least happy, but my first pig was from here, he was for adoption hecause he has a head tilt, I fell in love with him on the spot, a coworker, and friend, gave me wrong info on social and cage habits, I returned the cage the same day went to Piggie Poo, got him a friend, who looks just like him and now they have a c&c and a bunch of items of the fleecy variety

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
Also, if you are interested in a baby or younger pig many rescues or shelters have waiting lists you can put yourself on and you will be contacted if what you are interested in comes into the rescue/shelter.

I know the guinea pig rescue near me has a waiting list for babies because everyone wants the little guys. Personally, I prefer the adults but if getting a new baby means a lot to you it is a great option.

pinky

Cavy Slave
If you give us your general location, we might be able to help you narrow down your search.

CavyHouse

Cavy Slave
I can't even count the number of times that potential adopters have come to us after buying piggies from Petsmart and Petco that ended up with horrible upper respiratory infections, mites, lice, pregnancies, ringworm, mis-sexing or a combination of the above. In fact, every URI that I've heard of was in a piggy purchased from one of these pet stores. I won't let people bring these piggies to us for bonding until they've had them for three weeks. You can probably find some that are fine but there is also a good chance they aren't.

Photolove3

Cavy Slave
What do you mean by the shelter doesn't have a piggie that's "right for you"? What are you looking for that you can't find at your local rescue? Do you want a baby? I like adult pigs more than babies honestly, they are better lap pigs and less squirmy all around. Also their personalities are already developed.

pinky

Cavy Slave
What do you mean by the shelter doesn't have a piggie that's "right for you"? What are you looking for that you can't find at your local rescue? Do you want a baby? I like adult pigs more than babies honestly, they are better lap pigs and less squirmy all around. Also their personalities are already developed.

I agree with you. You never know what the pup is going to be like when it gets older. I'd take a friendly adult over a pup any day.

AddysPiggies

Cavy Slave
Ok @pinky I live in Rockford Illinois

AddysPiggies

Cavy Slave
I mean I haven't like fallen in love with a certain pig yet I honestly don't care if they are adults or babies I just want a pig that has a great personality and I want one I fall in love with as soon as I see it

AddysPiggies

Cavy Slave
Sorry if that sounds rude... Didn't mean it in a rude way[emoji4]

pinky

Cavy Slave
Ok @pinky I live in Rockford Illinois
I live in Carol Stream. Critter Corral Guinea Pig Rescue adopts out guinea pigs in the Chicago area. There are volunteers in the area, including me, who do adoptions in their homes. I know we have a foster home in Chicago and I thought there was someone pretty far north but I'm not positive. I attached a link to our site. Contact the rescue at [email protected] and ask for an application and if there is a foster home closer to you where you can do an adoption if you find some that appeal to you. Completing the application doesn't obligate you in any way to adopt but you have to be approved to adopt. They recently took in a lot of guinea pigs so all of the available ones are not listed. Let me know if you have any questions.

https://www.crittercorral.org/

juliax0

Cavy Slave
My boys are from Petsmart in New Hampshire. Both boys had an abscess caused by staph and underwent surgery in the 6 months we had them. Petsmart refused to do anything about it. I was under the impression that since they have Banfield, they would look over the guinea pigs. I used to work at Banfield and the vet would turn away the sick ones in the store since they are not qualified to do guinea pigs. When they say that the gps have been "vet approved", it's a load of BS. They are healthy now but still have sneezing issues sometimes. I love my boys but generally would advise everyone not to go to pet stores.

AddysPiggies

Cavy Slave
Ok thank u so So SO much! I will look around their site! Do u have a website for your foster pigs? If not can I see a picture of them?[emoji4] I may adopt them

LuvCavysLuvCats

Cavy Slave
@AddysPiggies It doesn't sound rude at all hun. I completely understand. I will not get any animal unless I feel a connection. After all you're not rescuing just to rescue, you're also rescuing so you can have a pet. You should feel a connection and no one should judge you for wanting that. Though I don't think anyone will. :)
@pinky WOW there are so many piggies listed there... and 50 more not listed?! Wow. Poor piggies. :( Is that a normal amount to be listed for your area?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.