Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n annoying things people say to you when you are vegetarian

pineapplepigs

Cavy Slave
I wanted to start this tread to see some annoying people say/ask when you are vegetarian. Even on my first day I got some of these!

1. Why?
Because I HATE plants, definitely not because I love animals...

2. Why do you think we have teeth? We wouldn't have teeth if we weren't supposed to eat meat.
So I can chew my tofu duh. This one bothers me because unless you are the creator of mankind you can't tell me how to use my teeth (even if you did create humans I still wouldn't eat meat)

3.The bible says that animals were put on earth for humans!
Oh yes because if you believe in that I should too! I am not religious (but I respect other religions). So saying that will not make me eat meat again!

Comment below some stuff you have gotten from other people!

Last edited:

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
I, myself, am not a vegetarian but I have three vegetarian friends and one who doesn't eat red meats.

I know that it must be hard always having to hear and answer to stupid/annoying questions, but vegetarians can say annoying things too. I know, many people aren't like this, but there are always some vegetarians who always say things such as "You're eating dead cow" and stuff like that and are super opposed to anyone who eats meat. With my friends no one mentions anything, it's not a big deal or anything at all. Though just the other day at lunch, one of my friends (who is more of a newer friend since she switched schools. But she's an old friend if one of my other friends) said "Why are you eating dead fish?" It wasn't a super harsh or super disapproving tone but still annoying. I mean, I respect your lifestyle/dietary choices, you should respect mine, even if you don't necessarily agree with them.

But again, I get it and I sympathize.

pinky

Cavy Slave
One of my coworkers I sit with at lunch is a Vegan. We have a pretty large group and no one says anything negative to her. On the contrary, people are always asking her for recipes because her food looks good. I can see how a parent who would have to cook a special meal might be irritated or if some responded back if you tried to tell them their meat choice is wrong but I don't see why it would be anyone's business to comment unless what you were eating wasn't healthy and they were concerned about you. If it's a particular friend or group of friends that does it, you might just want to reconsider who your friends are. Sometimes there are people who just try and find a way to annoy someone and choose something they know will get under their skin. I think you can eat a meat or meatless diet if you choose your menus carefully. It's a personal choice.

Wolfess221

Cavy Slave
My favorite: but if we don't eat animals they're overpopulate the planet. Seriously people? Nature has its ways of keeping population in check; it in no way needs human intervention to do what it's been doing for eons. But I know this is about personal choices and opinions, and as I respect the opinions of others I expect them to show me the same courtesy. But mostly I get neutral to positive reactions when people find out I'm a vegetarian, closely followed by curious questions such as why I made this choice and what I eat (I don't mind these questions when they're asked without hints of condensation or sarcasm).

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I am not a vegetarian but I hear all the time; if you don't eat the cow/chicken/turkey, it's going to eat you. I HIGLY doubt if I don't eat that chicken leg that a chicken will come up to me and start eating me. Yea, the pecks might hurt, but I don't think Ill be eaten alive by a chicken. It just aggravates me and probably many vegetarians.

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
Another thing that bugs me that vegetarians say (sorry to hijack your thread again) is when you politely ask why they are vegetarian, they reply with quite a mean: "Because I don't eat dead animals."

guineapigman

Cavy Slave
@MrsGuineaPig' you have never seen on of these have you:p, they are about 3 feet tall and very aggressive and yes they are chickens

Attachments

image.jpg

Wolfess221

Cavy Slave
....that looks like a Velociraptor chicken :eek:hmy:

CavieGuy

Cavy Slave
I'm actually a Vegan and I just tell folks, "I don't eat animal products for ethical and health reasons". Sometimes folks respect my choice, but sometimes I get, "but try this, it is so good".

spudsthepiget

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've been a vegetarian for the last 18 years since I was 3; I don't have a problem with other people that want to eat meat, but I don't like to be teased about it. My brothers would always say things like "Mmm, that's good slaughter," and stuff like that to me when I was little. It was always really hurtful to me because I have always loved animals and later came to learn about animal slaughter in school.

It's not my place though to tell others what they should be eating or living like. My 6th grade social studies teacher showed us some pretty horrific movies about animal slaughter, and I always swore that I would never do that to anyone else. My younger brother actually had nightmares after seeing those films and is vegetarian now. I know some of my classmates were shocked, too.

Another thing I don't get is whenever I tell people I'm vegetarian, the first thing they ask is if I'm getting enough protein. Like, you didn't care about my protein intake 5 minutes ago lol

Hhbean

Cavy Slave
I've had people tell me to try the dish they brought to a party (they know I'm a vegetarian). I ask if it has meat in it and they responded "Yes, but you can just pick the meat out of it!" Some people just can't grasp the concept. I don't require anybody to provide vegetarian food for me at parties, but please stop rolling your eyes when I decline to eat meat. I've also been teased because I refuse to eat veggies from a grill that just had meat cooking on it. I'm there to socialize and don't need to eat, but it seems that unless you have a medical reason for declining something your hurting their feelings and should just suck it up(not happening). I don't push veggies on others so why push meat on me?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Food is a funny thing. I'm a really picky eater and I often won't eat rather than eat something that doesn't appeal to me. Eggs completely gross me out so I avoid them. Through the years, I've had people sneak them in the food they serve me and say that they can't understand why I don't like them. I think one of the same things that makes people avoid meat is the same thing that makes me avoid eggs. I find them repulsive and the thought of them makes me gag and when I eat them, I throw up. I can't eat from a plate that someone puts on egg on and it disturbs me to sit next to someone eating them. I won't even wash a dish that had eggs on them..... I don't mind if my doctor questions my eating habits but it is annoying when others make an issue out of it. I often wondered if my dislike of them is actually my body's way of telling me they're bad for me. I can't eat dried fruit due to the sulfites aggravating my asthma and I wonder if that's actually what's behind my aversion to eggs since they contain it. It could be something similar with people who can't tolerate meat. Sometimes I think our body tells us what is cannot tolerate.

jinxie

Cavy Slave
I never tell anyone I am vegetarian because the second they find out they judge me and harass me even though I am not judging anyone. Many people think vegetarians are pushy and intolerant but I see the opposite every day. Eat how you want and I will eat how I want. The biggest questions are those involving nutrition. And they usually come from people who eat a ton of fried and fatty foods but suddenly they are a nutrition expert. I have never watched my nutrition until I became veg and now I keep a nice varied diet rich in proteins and vitamins. Also the protein one still gets me.... I get asked this every time someone finds out I don't eat meat. I still eat dairy products so it's super easy. I also take omega3 and b vitamins. Yea but if I don't eat meat I can't possibly be healthy right. Ridiculous.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
This is kind of off the subject a little bit, but I am a very picky eater, like [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] is. I get so tired of the "just try this, you'll like the way I make my..." etc. Mayonnaise is one of those things that grosses me out to no end. People think that just because their way of making a certain dish is stellar that I am going to like it, even if it has something repulsive like mayonnaise in it. I am 34 years old and I know by now what I like and don't like. People being pushy is not going to change that. One of my strangest quirks is leafy vegetables. It's not even that taste that bothers me, it is the texture. To me it feels like I have gone outside and have taken a bite out of the foliage on the tree in front of my house. As soon as a leafy vegetable touches my tongue I am gagging. To avoid the possibility of puking I put spinach in my smoothies so they aren't leafy anymore lol As far as the actual content of the thread, I wish people would be more tolerant of others' preferences and such. I eat meat but I go to a local farm where the animals are all free range and have the best of care, and are put down as humanely as possible. I have considered going vegetarian because of my love for animals, but have not made that leap yet. I have heard meat eaters say rude things to vegetarians and vice versa. I think sometimes society needs to go back to basics we learned in grade school and "mind your own business."

Colorado Cavies

Cavy Slave
Where I live is Hippy central so I actually have more of the opposite. I've lived in this town for about 10 years and if you talk to a vegetarian here it's like you are satan in human form. I have not met a single polite or respectful one in this entire town. You eat meat around them and get ready for a fight. They are all pushy jerks around here. But I realize that is a Boulder thing not a vegetarian thing.

As for me I have tried to be a vegetarian. I almost had to go to the hospital it made me so sick. I have food allergies that include several nuts (including almonds) and at that point in my live a very strong reaction to MSG. Guess what soy naturally produces? MSG. I didn't know that and got so sick I didn't didn't get out of bed for two days because I was in so much pain. I'm also hypoglycemic. Guess who got no where near enough protein and was sick for weeks! Me. It sucked. I gave up after that.

Would I have loved to be vegetarian? Yes. Do I love animals/hate the way they are treated? Yes. Do my health issues leave me any other options? Not really, no. Sadly people in Boulder think it's better for me to be sick all the time then eat meat. When I can afford to be more picky about where my meat comes from I'm ready and willing to do that but right now I can hardly afford food at all so I stick with what I can afford.

pinky

Cavy Slave
This is kind of off the subject a little bit, but I am a very picky eater, like [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] is. I get so tired of the "just try this, you'll like the way I make my..." etc. Mayonnaise is one of those things that grosses me out to no end. People think that just because their way of making a certain dish is stellar that I am going to like it, even if it has something repulsive like mayonnaise in it. I am 34 years old and I know by now what I like and don't like. People being pushy is not going to change that. One of my strangest quirks is leafy vegetables. It's not even that taste that bothers me, it is the texture. To me it feels like I have gone outside and have taken a bite out of the foliage on the tree in front of my house. As soon as a leafy vegetable touches my tongue I am gagging. To avoid the possibility of puking I put spinach in my smoothies so they aren't leafy anymore lol As far as the actual content of the thread, I wish people would be more tolerant of others' preferences and such. I eat meat but I go to a local farm where the animals are all free range and have the best of care, and are put down as humanely as possible. I have considered going vegetarian because of my love for animals, but have not made that leap yet. I have heard meat eaters say rude things to vegetarians and vice versa. I think sometimes society needs to go back to basics we learned in grade school and "mind your own business."

Mayo grosses me out, too, as does mustard and anything else with that texture.

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
I don't like mustard either. The only condiment I will use is ketchup, and that is only on French fries. My boyfriend is a chef and it frustrates him to no end to cook for me :( I always tell him that if I could change it I would.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think carbs are probably the probably the biggest culprit when it comes to health issues. My husband's doctor put him on a low carb diet due to his high blood pressure. He lost a ton of weight and his blood pressure is the best it's ever been. He eats meat and vegetables but no sugar or starches which means no sweets or potatoes. He can have fruit so his sweet tooth is satisfied.

tammy.travers2

Cavy Gazer
There are stupid people out there.!!

tammy.travers2

Cavy Gazer
I'll i eat is chicken no red meat for me and lots of fish

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.