Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Fleece or Paper?

  1. #1
    Cavy Slave baileyrianne's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 05, 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    55
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Fleece or Paper?

    I've always used paper and I'm building a new cage so I was think of switching to fleece. Which is easier and better?

  2. #2
    Cavy Slave labgirl5's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 24, 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    25
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Paper bedding? Like CareFRESH?

  3. #3
    Cavy Slave baileyrianne's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 05, 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    55
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Quote Originally Posted by labgirl5 View Post
    Paper bedding? Like CareFRESH?
    This is what I used.
    http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/be...pfm%3Dcategory

  4. #4
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Joined
    Jun 29, 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    697
    Thanks
    106
    Thanks
    217 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Depends on the size of your cage I think. Smaller cages don't do quite as well with fleece. I would never go back to that paper bedding after using fleece. I love it, cost effective and super cute. You can have many for the seasons and fun. Will put the pumpkin fleece in next week for Halloween.

  5. #5
    Cavy Slave labgirl5's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 24, 2013
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    25
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Quote Originally Posted by baileyrianne View Post
    What size cage are you planning on building?

  6. #6
    Cavy Slave baileyrianne's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 05, 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    55
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Quote Originally Posted by daisy1cow View Post
    Depends on the size of your cage I think. Smaller cages don't do quite as well with fleece. I would never go back to that paper bedding after using fleece. I love it, cost effective and super cute. You can have many for the seasons and fun. Will put the pumpkin fleece in next week for Halloween.
    I saw this online and this is what I was planing on doing. Plus a ramp. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	115.3 KB 
ID:	69526

  7. #7
    Cavy Slave baileyrianne's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 05, 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    55
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Quote Originally Posted by labgirl5 View Post
    What size cage are you planning on building?
    Don't know if you saw the pic I posted for the other quote, but something similar to that.

  8. #8
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Joined
    Jun 29, 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    697
    Thanks
    106
    Thanks
    217 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Oh, well I would fleece the bottom for sure and you could make fleece liners to do the loft if that is where food and hay will be. You could do whatever up in the loft I would think. Whatever suits you and your situation. But I would fleece and uhaul the bottom. Cute cage

  9. "Thank you, daisy1cow, for this useful post," says:


  10. #9
    Cavy Slave baileyrianne's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 05, 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    55
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Quote Originally Posted by daisy1cow View Post
    Oh, well I would fleece the bottom for sure and you could make fleece liners to do the loft if that is where food and hay will be. You could do whatever up in the loft I would think. Whatever suits you and your situation. But I would fleece and uhaul the bottom. Cute cage
    I saw something about using wooden pellets but I'm not sure if it's any good.

  11. #10
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Joined
    Jun 29, 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    697
    Thanks
    106
    Thanks
    217 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Its all personal preference. I know people who love wood pellets and swear by them. I thought they were heavy and hard to change out and I didn't care for the light smell of them. I think for a small area, but my cage is 3x5 with a 2x2 kitchen, I don't have sides as my cage sits on vinyl and the pellets wouldn't be contained. I like fleece and uhaul pads or fleece and towels. Experiment and see what you like. Bags of pellets are around $5 so your not out a bunch if you buy a couple of bags.

  12. #11
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Jan 08, 2014
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland, USA
    Posts
    229
    Thanks
    51
    Thanks
    58 Rec'd/44 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    24 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    I like fleece a lot but it's not right for everyone. Keep in mind that you have to brush off the fleece once a day and launder it once a week. Paper bedding is more low maintenance.

  13. #12
    Cavy Slave baileyrianne's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 05, 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    55
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Quote Originally Posted by daisy1cow View Post
    Its all personal preference. I know people who love wood pellets and swear by them. I thought they were heavy and hard to change out and I didn't care for the light smell of them. I think for a small area, but my cage is 3x5 with a 2x2 kitchen, I don't have sides as my cage sits on vinyl and the pellets wouldn't be contained. I like fleece and uhaul pads or fleece and towels. Experiment and see what you like. Bags of pellets are around $5 so your not out a bunch if you buy a couple of bags.

    I think ill try the pellets out with the fleece on top. Then if it doesn't work out, I'll try something else. What are uhaul pads?

  14. #13
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Joined
    Jun 29, 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    697
    Thanks
    106
    Thanks
    217 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    they are sold at any Uhaul place, and online I think. They are recycled something, very absorbent and I like them better than towels although towels weren't horrible.
    Talk to bpatter and pigger123, they both use pellets and love them. Could probably find a thread on it as well so they don't have to repeat themselves on it all.
    Good luck. Ive tried it all and most and came back to uhaul pads and fleece as my preference.

  15. "Thank you, daisy1cow, for this useful post," says:


  16. #14
    Cavy Slave baileyrianne's Avatar
    Joined
    Oct 05, 2014
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    55
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Quote Originally Posted by daisy1cow View Post
    they are sold at any Uhaul place, and online I think. They are recycled something, very absorbent and I like them better than towels although towels weren't horrible.
    Talk to bpatter and pigger123, they both use pellets and love them. Could probably find a thread on it as well so they don't have to repeat themselves on it all.
    Good luck. Ive tried it all and most and came back to uhaul pads and fleece as my preference.
    Are uhaul pads like puppy pads?

  17. #15
    Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Joined
    Jun 29, 2013
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    697
    Thanks
    106
    Thanks
    217 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...re-Pad?id=2670
    Hopefully i did that right. Im on my phone.
    There furniture pads for moving. They are washable unlike expensive throw away puppy pads

  18. "Thank you, daisy1cow, for this useful post," says:


  19. #16
    Cavy Slave pigger123's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 26, 2013
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,203
    Thanks
    456
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

    Re: Fleece or Paper?

    Uhaul pads are moving blankets made from recycled denim. I use wood pellets under my fleece, and I have a thread about them titled "my bedding story, finally found the perfect solution!"

  20. "Thank you, pigger123, for this useful post," says:


User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •