Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Godspeed, Kelly the Pig

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
A year and a half was way too short. We barely knew ya.

My girlfriend and I got home from work today to find Kellypig cold and stiff in her pigloo. No signs of injury, and she had shown no signs of illness. She wasn't even two years old. Our Curly pig died earlier this year in much the same way...completely herself last time we saw her, then dead within a few hours.

Kelly was the most skittish I've met from a skittish species. Hard to blame her, given her background; rescued from neglect in a hoarder house only to be held in a shelter for weeks sharing space with dozens of loud barking dogs. It's a miracle she didn't die of a heart attack before we had a chance to take her into our home. Three out of our five pigs dead in the past year...not a good year to be a guinea pig, it seems. :(

I truly hope you get to calm down a bit in pig heaven, Kellypig.

5kQBD4ml.jpg

pinky

Cavy Slave
RIP, Kellypig. I'm really sorry to hear about your loss, Mastershroom. This summer, I lost two of them: a 6 year old and one that was just under 3. The 6 year old was under vet care so it was expected, but Moo had no symptoms and I found her laying next to her pigloo when I got home from work. She wasn't housed with my other one that died. Sometimes, there's no explanation but that doesn't make it any easier. How are your other girls doing?

Painter

Cavy Slave
So sorry for you

Painter

Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss , sounds like your a wonderful ,caring loving person .... Mike

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Im so sorry for your loss. May happy memories and silly squeaks put a smile on your heart.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I'm very sorry for your loss, RIP little Kelly piggie.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

How are your other girls doing?

Kwee is doing fine...but Cuddles needs to go back to the vet this weekend. She had ovarian cysts, so we got her spayed earlier this year. Her fur started growing back in nice and thick and curly. In the last month, though, her symptoms have started returning. Her fur is falling out in the same pattern, her nipples are swollen and crusty, and she's been really aggressive with the other pigs again. Except now she physically shouldn't have any ovaries for cysts to grow on, so I have no idea why this could be happening.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
Thanks, @Kelsie. She had a rough start to her life, and as short as it was, I'm happy I was able to give her something better. And I'll be sure to let Cuddles know you're thinking of her :)

carigretta

Cavy Slave
sending you my condolences on lose of piggies and prayers with good vibs are coming your way for healthy happy piggies and family .

Mellissa Mae

Cavy Slave
So sorry for your loss. It is very hard. She is in a better place now. <3

C. Cole-Chakotay

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry.

Mastershroom

Cavy Slave
@spy9doc, I meant guinea pigs in general, not specifically the Abyssinian breed. I'm sure any piggie brought up in Kelly's situation would have been quite terrified.

Thanks for the support, everyone. This weekend we ended up getting rid of the giant 2x8 L-shape cage and setting up a regular 2x4. That giant cage was a bit much for our two surviving pigs, so we reclaimed the space for our second rabbit cage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.