Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/73 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Question Dumbo rat care

Hey everyone I don't have a pet rat yet but I plan on getting one soon. But first I want to do my research. So anyone who has any advice that would be awesome!

Thanks
    Thanks
    651 Rec'd/559 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

Re: Dumbo rat care

I have had rats for many years and I can tell you they make wonderful pets. I'm not sure what type of information you are looking for but I will say that, like guinea pigs, they do much better in pairs. I have only ever had females but I always have at least two together. My usual pairings are three rats. I house them in the Critter Nation. It's a little pricey, so if you don't want to spend that much, Martin Cages make a lot of cages that work really good for rats. You can go to their website and view what they offer. I have never seen a decent rat cage at any petstore. They are all just too small.

As far as feeding, I have made my own food for years. I use the recipe for Molasses Mix that Debbie Ducommon formulated. I make a large amount and then freeze it into smaller portions. I realize that is probably more work than most people want to go to, but I have to say that in my opinion my rats live longer than most. I choose to believe that might be a benefit of their preservative free diet. If you don't want to make your own I believe Oxbow makes a pretty good rat food. Although, I have to say I tried it once and my girls wouldn't eat it. In addition to the molasses mix I also give my rats fresh fruit and veggies. Not too much though. The one thing that my girls get almost every morning is a small bowl of oatmeal. I make my own, I don't use the instant. Too much sugar in those mixes. Rats have quite a sweet tooth and will quickly become addicted to sugar. I really limit the amount I give them. I also occasionally give them a little bit of yogurt.

As far as which sex is better, I think it's a matter of personal preferences. I have never had any males but I have friends who have and it seems like the males are more calm than the females. My girls love to run around constantly. They'll sit with me for a few minutes and then they want to get down and play. Many of the male rats that I have known are very content to just ride around on their owners shoulders all day long. I do believe the male rats have a more pronounced odor to them. However, just like guinea pigs if you keep the cage clean you won't be bothered by odors. I clean my rat cage just the same way I clean my guinea pigs cages. I use a diluted mix of water and white vinegar.

If I haven't scared you off of getting a rat I think you will be very happy with one. They are full of such joy and it's so much fun to watch them play together. My husband and I have gotten so many laughs from just watching my girls interact together. Unlike guinea pigs, rats don't run away from you when you approach the cage. They will run up to you and beg you to get them out. I love both my guinea pigs and my rats, and for me, they both have an important place in my life.

Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/73 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Most people don't think of rats as pets but I think that they are adorable little creatures

btw how do you make your rat food?

Thanks
    Thanks
    651 Rec'd/559 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    341 Post(s)

@Guinepig if you go to "The Rat Fan Club" website and view the Diet selection you will find the recipe for Molasses Mix. Don't be alarmed by the list of ingredients. It's a lot easier to make then it looks. Like I said, if you don't want to go to all that trouble there are many good types of rat food that you can buy.

You're right about how many people view rats. They think they are dirty and nothing could be farther from the truth. They want to live in a clean environment. Also as many rats as I have had over the years I have never had one who was a biter. The few rats that I heard that have bitten were because they were startled and reacted accordingly. In my opinion, I think you stand a better chance of being bitten by a cat than a rat. No offense meant to any cats. It's just that cats are a little more unpredictable. Once a rat bonds to you they love you forever.

5. "Thank you, Kelsie, for this useful post," says:

User Tag List