Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Upper Levels 2nd level- outside tunnels, no ramps?

4TimeMama

Cavy Slave
I am in the process of building a second level for our piggies, Oreo, Love, and Rainbow, and I am really torn on which direction to go. I was wondering if anyone has built a second level and used tunnels on the outside for access, without a ramp. If so, was it successful? They're babies, the oldest is 4 months. I'm hoping to maximize floor space for them since they are all boys. I have all the materials needed for both, because that's what I had planned to do, just can't make up my mind!

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
My first cage had PVC tunnels running up the outside of the cage. They were kind of a pain -- they're too slippery for the pigs to climb up unless you put something in them. Tape didn't work, because the pigs ate it. A fleece runner sort of worked, but was hard to get in and out. But the worst part was that at the elbow joints where the PVC fit back into the cage, the pigs sat and pooped. There was always lots of poop rolling down from the top, and a pile at the bottom where the bottom pig sat. They just LOVED those elbows as hidey places, but it sure did mess up the pipe.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
You might be able to make an exterior ramp out of bent grids, like this one I found in the photo gallery:

4TimeMama

Cavy Slave
My first cage had PVC tunnels running up the outside of the cage. They were kind of a pain -- they're too slippery for the pigs to climb up unless you put something in them. Tape didn't work, because the pigs ate it. A fleece runner sort of worked, but was hard to get in and out. But the worst part was that at the elbow joints where the PVC fit back into the cage, the pigs sat and pooped. There was always lots of poop rolling down from the top, and a pile at the bottom where the bottom pig sat. They just LOVED those elbows as hidey places, but it sure did mess up the pipe.

Thank you for your experience, I can see my piggies doing the same. 😂 I have a carpet with a non-slip lining on one side that I would use. I have extra grids, do you think making grid tunnels would be easier/less messy?

4TimeMama

Cavy Slave
You might be able to make an exterior ramp out of bent grids, like this one I found in the photo gallery:

yeah that's what I was thinking might work better, thanks for that pic, the one I found was further away and didn't show as much detail.

Lovecavy13

Cavy Slave
You can use PVC piping but you'll want to get a large size and put holes in the top for ventraltion. Also if you put something inside so they have traction when in the tunnel I'm sure they'll love it!

DewOver

Cavy Slave
Does anybody know what is being used to cover the cut wires in this cage? It looks so nice and neat as well as effective. I've been wondering what to do about that.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Here you go! I personally love the PVC pipe! Its lined with carpet/astroturf for traction. Its also got 1 inch holes cut all the way up it. heres a pic

Attachments

IMG_0453.jpg

DewOver

Cavy Slave

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Agreed, [MENTION=19714]spy9doc[/MENTION]. You've got to have some way to easily get that ramp apart and the liner out of it for cleaning. Otherwise, you're not going to be able to stand the odor.

MrCavyMadness

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Brilliant! I so love the creativity and ingenuity that goes into these cages. That will help me a lot!

How do you clean the carpet inside the tunnel?
We power wash them out. Although, they don't pee or poop inside them.

4TimeMama

Cavy Slave
I appreciate all the input on here! We've decided to try out the grid tunnels attached to the outside. I found a rug in the basement that we aren't using that would be perfect to line the tunnels. It's got non-slip backing and is very short pile. Now I just have to figure out who ran off with my rotary cutter!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.