Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Severely Ill Rat

sallyvh

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure if we have any rat savvy members here but I thought I would post this here regardless to see if any one has any input.

Tonight around 11pm my roommate went upstairs to her room to go to bed. At least every night she takes her 2 rats out and gives them food. Well tonight when she went up she found Poppy hunched up and very listless on the lowest level of the cage.

We are unsure how long Poppy was like this but it was no more than 12 hours as she was contently snuggling with her cage mate earlier in the day.

We have a vet in the city that is knowledgeable about exotics and has emergency hours so my roommate called and we were at the vets within 15 minutes.

Upon weighing, Poppy had lost 49 grams in 2 weeks (from 359 to 310) she was dehydrated, very cold and extremely lethargic. The vet immediately put her in an incubator to warm her up. After a thorough examination he didn't think it was upper respiratory but was leaning towards cancer. He said that he felt that the lymph nodes in her groin area were enlarged. He gave her some subQ fluids and a prescription of metacam and baytril. The vet also did an xray but it didn't reveal anything and the vet was unable to determine if there were any growths.

So after 3 hours at the vet we are home with Poppy and she is still very listless. She has had her medicine and she was syringed a mash of her normal food blocks and apple sauce. We were told to give the meds 24-48 hours and see where to go from there.

I'm just wondering if any rat savvy people have any input into what could be wrong, we honestly don't know if Poppy will survive the night. I personally don't know much about rats as these are my roommates pets but I figured I could do a little research myself to give some input.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.