Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Is Conjunctivitis Zoonotic (human-animal,animal-human contagious)?

treehugger

Cavy Slave
Does anyone know if Conjunctivitis in guinea pigs is zoonotic? My guinea pig Newton has Conjunctivitis but I won't be able to get him to my vet until next monday (6 days), can it be passed on to me? Online all I can really find pertains to cats and dogs and as you guys know rodents can have a whole different set of bacterias, viruses. and parasites. With cats and dogs it says conjunctivitis is not Zoonotic. Is it contagious to me from my guinea pig?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Depends upon whether it's viral or bacterial and you won't know unless you have a vet determine that. Viruses are normally species specific, although they have crossed over species in some cases such as Avian and Swine Flu. Bacterial infections do cross species. If a dog or cat has bacterial conjunctivitis, it is contagious. If it's viral, it's not. I'd treat it as if it's bacterial and be very careful handling him until you can have him treated.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
How do you know it's conjunctivitis?

pinky

Cavy Slave
Conjunctivitis is simply redness and swelling of the conjunctiva so it's easy to tell from looking at it. What's causing it is what's important to find out so it can be treated if needed. It can also be due to an allergic reaction or an irritant.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I know what conjunctivitis is. I'm not sure if treehugger does. If what s/he's seeing is dried cleaning fluid or runny eyes from a URI, things need to go in different directions, and possibly much quicker than next week.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.