Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Why not to get a guinea pig! Really!!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Not sure if this is the right place for this so mods please feel free to move it but it got me so mad. Ok so today I was looking for guinea pigs for adoption in my area because as most of you may know my Gin-Gin died.That's when I came across this blog. It's about why you should not get a guinea pig. I just to share it because it made me really mad.Why doesn't anyone think anymore. Enough of my ranting here's the blog.
https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/.../8122073.Six_reasons_not_to_buy_a_guinea_pig/

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
Actually, she makes some very good points about guinea pig ownership. She's a little over the top about it all, but it probably ought to be required reading for anybody considering getting a guinea pig. Better to go into it knowing what you're getting yourself into than to get home with pigs and then find out you don't know nearly enough about how to care for them.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
True what really made me mad was her saying all they were good for was being lab animals.

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
I agree it was over the top. She made it sound like your guinea pig was guaranteed to get mites or a URI in its life time and when she said they were only good for being lad animals, that made me real angry.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
While I obviously don't think that guinea pigs are "feral rodents" who "top any worst pet chart," I do agree that there are a whole lot of people who shouldn't get guinea pigs. I feel that this article should be more addressed to people who actually shouldn't get a guinea pig to explain why they shouldn't, but it doesn't apply to people who are willing and capable of properly caring for their pigs.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
While I obviously don't think that guinea pigs are "feral rodents" who "top any worst pet chart," I do agree that there are a whole lot of people who shouldn't get guinea pigs. I feel that this article should be more addressed to people who actually shouldn't get a guinea pig to explain why they shouldn't, but it doesn't apply to people who are willing and capable of properly caring for their pigs. Most of what she said about how high-maintenance and expensive they are was true. In my opinion, this article actually could be quite helpful if it was instead titled "6 reasons why you should think twice before getting guinea pigs" and didn't include the mention of how they were feral rodents only suitable to be used as lab animals.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Sorry for the double post! Didn't mean to do that.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Yea like if you know what your doing and know how to care for one they make great pets. But yes you should always do your research not every pet is right for everyone. If you give them a proper environment and take good care of them they shouldn't get mites.obviously she didn't know what she was getting into. No animal should be used as a research tool they are living beings.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
When someone emails me about adopting a guinea pig, I send them a letter titled "Are You Sure You Want a Guinea Pig?" and outline all the annoying and "bad" things about guinea pig ownership. I think it's better that they are informed beforehand than have them email me a few months later wanting to bring the pigs back.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
I don't like when parents get smaller animals for their kids. A lot of them need more care than anything a smaller child can give, so the parent begins to resent the animals because of the work they have to do for their children. :-/

blessedmom

Cavy Slave
I've had a few people say they want one after I go on about mine but I feel the need to warn them about the work required to care for them well. I don't try to discourage anyone from it but I make sure xx
)? to tell them that's it's a lot m.,ore work
than what they pet stores make it out to be, at least if you want to do it right, but I tell them not to consider getting one that way anyways.

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
Honestly all this lady's rant made me think was that she's the problem, not the guinea pigs. She lists all her reasons why guinea pigs are terrible pets, then says "...ignoring all of the above, I bought my daughter Florence two guinea pigs..." Really? You knew all this and ignored it to placate your child? Maybe that's not what she meant, but that's what she said. Someone who can't say no to their child when it's the best thing - well, don't get me started on that. If you know you don't like guinea pigs as pets, why are you taking your child to a farmer to look at pigs, hold them, and then be begged to bring some home?

I thought I knew about guinea pigs when we rescued Checkers, but I didn't. At that point I chose to learn more and do what was best for her by getting a friend, C & C cage, etc. I help with their care because I love them too and know that ultimately it's my responsibility as the parent. The article implies her child was fairly young, so the author should have expected to be primarily responsible for her pets. I have a child who would love to have one or two of pretty much every animal out there, but she's learned our family limits and has to abide by them until she's on her own. There are just some pets we can't deal with. :)

This article reflects more poorly on the author than on guinea pigs, IMO. But if it discourages anyone with her same mindset from getting pigs, then it's all good.

GuineaPigParty

Cavy Slave
I find this 'blog' rude.... I don't care whatever animal you talking about I believe that all animals are to be respected. Yes she does make some point's about that they may get mite's in there lifetime and stuff but all animals have there pro's and cons. Overall she has gone a little crazy......

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
She's a writer. I'm pretty sure there's some artistic license going on there. Lots of people exaggerate when telling stories.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
When someone emails me about adopting a guinea pig, I send them a letter titled "Are You Sure You Want a Guinea Pig?" and outline all the annoying and "bad" things about guinea pig ownership. I think it's better that they are informed beforehand than have them email me a few months later wanting to bring the pigs back.
Great idea. All rescues should do this for new potential owners. We all can see the good but don't know until we get one what the bad could be. For me, I'm glad I got a female instead of a male. I had no clue what sex I was getting but after reading about boar glue and cleaning the anal sac, that wouldn't be for me.

Artista

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I've had a few people say they want one after I go on about mine but I feel the need to warn them about the work required to care for them well. I don't try to discourage anyone from it but I make sure xx
)? to tell them that's it's a lot m.,ore work
than what they pet stores make it out to be, at least if you want to do it right, but I tell them not to consider getting one that way anyways.
I had no idea how much they poop. The work isn't bad imo but of course I have just 1, but they aren't litter trainable for the most part like cats and dogs can be.

Sunshine_

Cavy Slave
She just didn't take care of them omg irresponsible that makes me mad

Kiyisha

Cavy Slave
She's the worst of them all, so irresponsible. A HUTCH!? REALLY!? You fricken moron...

*deep breaths*

Sorry.

So angry.

THE SECOND I got my boys, and did research, and found out the tiny cage they had was exactly that, tiny, I immediately went about doing the things I needed to give them the right sized home. As any responsible adult should. Own up to your purchases. Whether the kids begged for it or not, she's the one who decided to take them home ultimately in the end. She's the one who didn't do the proper research to make sure they had the right home. She's the one who clearly bought them from a breeder.

This is disgusting... And honestly, even if she has some points, they're all from the wrong side of the spectrum, BECAUSE of the fact that she left her poor pigs outside to survive the elements.

I need to step away now, before I offend someone ._.

Lord Pigwidgeon

Cavy Slave
She literally put them where someone stole them...someone would have to break into my house to take my animals. -_-

jazzypizzaz

Cavy Slave
lol the funny (dumb) thing is she lists that they need different foods and that they can't survive in all temperatures as problems... like, are YOU comfortable in over 80 temperature? (I live in Georgia, and I used to live in Florida, so I KNOW warm temperatures. Also I get cold when it gets below 65, so yeah.) Also it's like three things, two of them you can get all at once and just portion it out every day, the other part is YOUR food and it's not like you have to buy strange, rare stuff.

And their teeth growing together?? Like if you give them lots of hay and maybe some safe stuff to chew on, that's not going to happen. even if it does, you can take them to the vet. that's not a huge deal.

"Loud noises scare them" uuuuhh yeah loud noises scare me sometimes. I get it, it's cool.

also she adopted the albino pig knowing it had special needs??? if you can't say no to your daughter and you resent having to take care of a creature that YOU adopted, then I have no sympathy for your vet bills.

lol def should show this to someone who thinks they are a "leave and forget about" type pet like idk hamsters or something, and yeah I admire the creative writing, it works as an article, but it's not going to sway anyone that loves guinea pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.