Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Exclamation no HAY!!

AHHH!! HELP! we have no hay! pay day is of curse... THURSDAY:ohmy: and we have no HAY! help

What do I do! the last time we ran out of hay it was Wednesday so it wasn't so bad! help please! what do I do, I have lots of nibblers that they like.... But it doesn't help their back molars. And yes I know that there is no replacement for hay but.... just tell me something to com down please!

What do I do!?:?: :(

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Re: no HAY!!

I can't tell you anything to make you calm down, but I can tell you that you need to plan ahead so that you don't run out of hay for your pigs. Once is an accident, twice is poor planning. If you're buying hay from a pet store, you're paying 2-3 times more for it than you would if you saved up and order it online in larger quantities, and many, many times more than if you got some from a local farmer. Maybe you can make arrangements to borrow some money and buy some hay in bulk -- that will give you time to pay your lender back and save for the next batch of hay.

Your pigs won't die for lack of hay for two days, but it's not good for them, and may result in digestive upsets.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/73 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

You could always try dried corn husks

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Dried corn husks are NOT recommended. In the first place, most pigs won't touch them. In the second place, some of them are treated with alkali, and unless you dried them yourself, you don't know what's on them. Fresh corn husks would work, but take the dark green leaves off and cut the dried ends of the silks. Corn is grown with a LOT of pesticides, and you don't want to give the pigs the outer husks and silks.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner janinehunt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

You could cut some fresh grass for your pigs, but just make sure it is untreated and clean, ie not from a busy roadside. Too much can apparently cause digestive upset to a pig not used to it, so go easy. Grass is my pigs' favourite food.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

ohh my I do not no what to do im sorry that I have "Poor planning" Im trying to do my best ok some people tell me to give up my piggies but im to attached! and I love them to much! people call me an dumby for even getting them what is digestive upset?

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Digestive upset is something like diarrhea, which can be very difficult to deal with in pigs. They get used to the same kinds of things going through their systems, and a major change, like lack of hay, or too much of something else, can make them sick.

They're your pets. It's your responsibility to care for them, and it's not fair to them to have them and not care for them adequately. It doesn't take much planning to look and see how much hay your pets have and how long it will last, and make arrangements to get more.

While we're on the subject, do you have money put by for vet bills? If not, what will you do when one gets sick? Regular vets know very little about guinea pigs, and exotic vets are scarce and expensive. Not only will you have to pay the vet bill, you may have pay for transportation to get the pig there.

9. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/73 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    Dried corn husks are NOT recommended. In the first place, most pigs won't touch them. In the second place, some of them are treated with alkali, and unless you dried them yourself, you don't know what's on them. Fresh corn husks would work, but take the dark green leaves off and cut the dried ends of the silks. Corn is grown with a LOT of pesticides, and you don't want to give the pigs the outer husks and silks.
    My mom buys the corn then I toss the outer husks I then wash the other husks and dry them. My piggies will eat them when I put it in their hay

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

No I don't to think about it..... We will think it through My dad always lends me lots of money and I pay him back later so we will likely do that what do you mean having to pay for getting my piggies there? I don't get it

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

@misscavy, I am sorry that you are struggling with hay issues and I do hope you've gotten it sorted out. I assume your brothers pigs are out of hay as well. Things like this do make me question why on Earth your parents agreed to letting you and your brother get pigs in the first place. What was your agreement with them when you got them? It's also not clear to me why hay is even an issue if your Dad is always willing to give you "lots of money". On a side note, could you use some punctuation here and there? You have all those lovely periods grouped together there in your last post and I think it would be easier to read if you spread them out a bit.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

When you do get the money, I recommend buying in bulk..it saves you money and will last for 1-2 months.

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I can't tell you anything to make you calm down, but I can tell you that you need to plan ahead so that you don't run out of hay for your pigs. Once is an accident, twice is poor planning. If you're buying hay from a pet store, you're paying 2-3 times more for it than you would if you saved up and order it online in larger quantities, and many, many times more than if you got some from a local farmer. Maybe you can make arrangements to borrow some money and buy some hay in bulk -- that will give you time to pay your lender back and save for the next batch of hay.

Your pigs won't die for lack of hay for two days, but it's not good for them, and may result in digestive upsets.
    Bppatters..where do you get cheap guinea pig food online? I have compared multiple sites and the best deal I have found was surprisingly at the vet. My pigs will not anything but Oxbow. I can get a decent sized bag for $6 at the vet office but I'm wondering if I can get an even larger bad for cheap.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,333 Rec'd/5,844 Posts
    Mentioned
    2051 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3927 Post(s)

Drs. Foster and Smith offer Oxbow hay by the 40-50 box. You can get KMS Hayloft, Sweet Meadow Farm, American Pet Diner and Small Pet Select online. Oxbow uses the same hay as everyone else -- timothy hay is pretty much timothy hay, is pretty much timothy hay. The quality has far more to do with the growing conditions where the farmers are than the brand that gets put on them. I believe Sweet Meadow Farm is the closest one to you.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

My dad does not LIVE WITH ME OK He is struggling to BUT YEAH HE LENDS ME MONEY but when it comes to hay its diffrent! Stop making me feel bad about my self its badenough that we barly have money my mum got fired and she cant find a job right now so she is babysitting a little girl. when we got the pigs we had money! She is loking for a job

Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Drs. Foster and Smith offer Oxbow hay by the 40-50 box. You can get KMS Hayloft, Sweet Meadow Farm, American Pet Diner and Small Pet Select online. Oxbow uses the same hay as everyone else -- timothy hay is pretty much timothy hay, is pretty much timothy hay. The quality has far more to do with the growing conditions where the farmers are than the brand that gets put on them. I believe Sweet Meadow Farm is the closest one to you.
    Yes it is actually! I drove out there over the summer and got them Sweet Meadow hay and pellets. They like the hay but hate the pellets. I have to mix the Oxbow pellets and Sweet Meadow pellets (still have a huge bag left) together and they end up selectively picking out the Oxbow.

Thanks
    Thanks
    275 Rec'd/187 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    172 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misscavy View Post
    My dad does not LIVE WITH ME OK. He is struggling to, BUT YEAH HE LENDS ME MONEY. but when it comes to hay it's different! Stop making me feel bad about my self. It's bad enough that we barely have money. My mum got fired and she can't find a job right now, so she is babysitting a little girl. When we got the pigs we had money! She is loking for a job
    The intention is not to make you feel bad. The intention is to understand how you got to a place where you don't have very basic needs filled for your pigs and to find a solution. The intention is to be sure you learn from this so it does not continue to happen. Caring for another living creature is a very adult responsibility and you'll need to approach it as such. I understand that life doesn't always go the way you think it will. Even as an adult, these things happen and we all make mistakes. The important thing is to correct the problem and learn from it. Have you researched cheaper places to get supplies? Do you know how much you need to be sure to have enough between pay checks? Are you old enough to do some odd jobs to help with paying for things? These are things you should be doing.
    Using Tapatalk

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Me,my mum and mike her boyfriend have maid a list of chores for me to do. At the end of every week if I did my chores I get 10 bucks, Mike(my mums boyfriend) told me that if I stop talking about animals next wednesday i will 10 more bucks so 20 bucks next week. I live next to petvalu and hay there is 15 dollars for a big bag. Trust me I know how to take care of pets it is a big thing, i had pet hedgehog once and he would not stop bitting and we got rid of him he was mine, when I got rid of him my mum told me That I could get any small pet that I wanted. So I searched up good pets and then I got the piggies. Every week im going to save up so when we do run out i can just go to petvalu and get more food or hay. Im also going to start washing cars and dog walking thank you. You really did teach me a lesson thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)

How big is your big bag? Bagged hay is expensive. Look for hay barn in your area.

How far is this place from you? They have hay for sale.
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/bed...ationFlag=true
    $3.50/bale

One bale can last you much longer than a bag.

Are they getting any veggies and pellets?

Edit to add:
    One more.
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-livestock/bed...ationFlag=true

$3.25 per bale

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Both of those places are hours away and we have no car. but today is payday

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by misscavy View Post
    Both of those places are hours away and we have no car. but today is payday
    I make it a habit to check the hay everyday or refill it every day so I have my eyes open on when there isn't much left. Also I'd set aside the payment for the next batch of hay needed so you don't touch it but in case of emergency. Just pretend that money isn't there, keep it out of site but know it's there just in case there is another hay emergency and you are out of money again.

User Tag List