Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C How to make the best C&C cage with loft and fleece? Also introducing my first piggie!

Ash14

Cavy Slave
How to make the best C&C cage with loft and fleece? Also introducing my first piggie!

I got my first piggie this afternoon and her name is Elsa (that was her name when I got her, but I totally dig it and am keeping it). I only knew about getting her a day before I actually got her, so I didn't really have time to prepare, it was kind of an emergency situation where she needed a home and FAST. But I spent all last night on here doing research.
I love the idea of the CC cage. I really want to make one because her cage is DEFINITELY not large enough for her. I've seen smaller, yes, but I really want her to be healthy and happy. So what is the best design? I really want to make a loft and ramp as well just so she has more room. How would I make one with the cubes? I also want to use fleece for bedding, but wouldn't stuff fly out the edge of the cage with just a piece of coroplast under it? Wouldn't it need a lip? How would I make it? It would also need a lid because I have dogs. I also plan on getting another piggie at some point, just because she had a friend where she came from (but he was a male and I didn't want babies or problems, so I only took Elsa and found someone else to adopt the other guy) and I don't want her to get lonely, but I'm not rushing into that, just letting you know so I know what cage would be big enough. Also when I do get another, what's the best way to introduce them?
I'm really not good at building things. Like AT ALL. So just explain to me like I'm a 4 year old. Any help/advice/tips about anything guinea pig related appreciated!
Also I REALLY wanna hold her but I'm letting her get used to her new room first with peace. It's hard! Haha.
TIA!
guineaa.jpg
guinea.jpg
guineaaa.jpg

MLT2007

Cavy Slave
Re: How to make the best C&C cage with loft and fleece? Also introducing my first pig

First off, Elsa is SUPER cute. Most coroplast bases have sides to prevent poos from getting everywhere. There is a section on how to cut the coroplast on the guinea pig cages main page. It is to the left, under C&C cages, and is called how to make. I found it easier to just order the coroplast base from the store here, simply because I was not finding coroplast too easily. I now know where to get it. Assembling the grids is super easy. There are countless possibilities. As far as making a ramp goes, some people bend a grid in half and line it with materials to help the pigs' feet grip. I am planning a cage upgrade and am going to order my ramp from the store. Again, it's just easier for me to do that than to make something. Fleece is amazing, but there has to be an absorbant material underneath. A lot of us use Uhaul pads. They are recycled demin pads for moving furniture. Fleece and Uhaul pads have to be washed and dried several times before cutting and using. They shrink and washing and drying helps make the fleece wick the urine better. I hope this helps you get started :)

lissie

Cavy Slave
Re: How to make the best C&C cage with loft and fleece? Also introducing my first pig

See this page for how to build the cage. You can also find YouTube videos that will teach you how to build.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/howto.htm

Since Elsa came with a male, I'd recommend waiting to make sure she's not pregnant before getting her a friend.

If you do decide to get her a friend now, you'll have to quarantine in separate room for 3 weeks.

Here's info on introduction.
https://www.cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm#Introductions

Ash14

Cavy Slave

I see! Where is the best place to get the coroplast though? I read sign shops. I don't think we have sign shops here though?
Also how would I know if she's pregnant? I really hope she isn't, I heard it can be detrimental to their health.

pigger123

Cavy Slave

The only way to know if she's pregnant is to wait and see. Guinea pig pregnancies last 9-10 weeks, so if she hasn't had babies once you've had her for 10 weeks then she's good.

Ash14

Cavy Slave

The only way to know if she's pregnant is to wait and see. Guinea pig pregnancies last 9-10 weeks, so if she hasn't had babies once you've had her for 10 weeks then she's good.
Oh okay thank you!

Ash14

Cavy Slave

Oh and how many cubes would I need to buy to make the 2x4 for two pigs? I found them in 6 and 4 packs.

hatley1717

Cavy Slave

My husband and I were able to find coroplast at home depot

HugglesBubble

Cavy Slave

I had to buy my Coroplast at a sign shop. ( specifically Fast Signs) because Home Depot said they wouldn't sell a sheet to a minor xD

Last edited by a moderator:

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave

There are about a million cage pictures on the photo galleries -- they'll give you some good cage ideas.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.