Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not happy with Small Pet Select, getting stingy.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Not happy with Small Pet Select, getting stingy.

It probably would have been good hay if they hadn't compressed it. I could tell it wasn't in pieces before because the strands were all one piece in the box. Just there is no way to get it apart without it falling apart into tiny pieces and a lot more of it turning into dust than if it were uncompressed. I don't think they would compress any of the boxes other than the 60 lb box.
    I hadn't looked on their website before placing my order on Ebay and had ordered from them once before and got the uncompressed the first time so had high expectations. It made me more angry because i felt like the only one they sent the compressed box to me and to everyone else got the good stuff. I left them negative feedback on Ebay and I saw all their other feedback was excellent and here i am getting crap.

Now i have KMS Hayloft hay and my guinea pigs would rather eat the KMS hayloft hay than the Oxbow Pellets that i give them. When i was feeding them that compressed hay they would only eat pellets and they would just use the hay to pee and poop on. I had to even spend more money on food since they went through a bag of pellets so fast.

If would be great if i could find a local farmer that had good hay. I tried 2 different farmers around here. I'm in Egg Harbor City, NJ. Their hay was both okay but not awesome. Also lots of weeds. By the time I talked to them on craigslist and they say it's good stuff than I got there and seen it I'm ending up buying it because they sell it for so cheap and by than I'm already committed to buying it.
    Last edited by norasdad; 09-22-14 at 01:44 pm.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by norasdad View Post
    If would be great if i could find a local farmer that had good hay. I tried 2 different farmers around here. I'm in Egg Harbor City, NJ. Their hay was both okay but not awesome. Also lots of weeds. By the time I talked to them on craigslist and they say it's good stuff than I got there and seen it I'm ending up buying it because they sell it for so cheap and by than I'm already committed to buying it.
    You never have to buy hay from a farmer you don't want. They should understand, and if they don't.. forget em. Another suggestion would be to find a local feed store or Co-op and check out the hay they have.

There is a hay shortage across many parts of the U.S. Farmers can get more per acre with hay than they can with other crops. But, hay isn't traded on the market, and since it's not traded there isn't insurance for it. The weather is becoming so extreme that farmers are finding it's better to make a little less with corn or soybeans that's covered if you have a bad year, than it is to risk it all with hay for a bigger pay out. It's unfortunate, but I think we are going to see increases in the price of hay and decreases in quality.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

The SPS 3rd cut hay I got yesterday is green and very nice!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Artista View Post
    The SPS 3rd cut hay I got yesterday is green and very nice!
    I just opened my new box from SPS 2 days ago. I don't remember if I bought 2nd or 3rd cut but it is very nice hay this time around. I have never seen my pigs eat hay so fast. I fill their rack 3 times a day now.

Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MLT2007 View Post
    I just opened my new box from SPS 2 days ago. I don't remember if I bought 2nd or 3rd cut but it is very nice hay this time around. I have never seen my pigs eat hay so fast. I fill their rack 3 times a day now.
    2nd cut would have some stems in it, 3rd cut is all soft hay. They have a great crop this year! Yay! Mooshy loves their hay more than KMS or any other brand I had tried. She is very picky so thank God their crop is awesome this year!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

I guess mine would be second cut, then. I was thinking that's what I always order because I am pretty sure I read to only order 3rd cut if your pigs are picky. At the rate I am going on this new box I will be ordering again soon

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Wow, that sucks. I actually know someone that works there (jacki) and i'll make sure to pass along your dissatisfaction..

Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

Yeah, Mooshy is VERY picky. She won't eat anyone's second cut. Why who knows... but she will eat 1st cuts thicker leaves and of course seed heads and 3rd cut is only good from SPS. I've even tried to mix the 2nd cut SPS I got and she picks it apart very nicely. I wound up giving away the 2nd cut hay. I can see some pigs like different cuts or types, but this only the 3rd cut from SPS will do and slipping in some 2nd cut leaves in there gets picked out is a bit much. The first time I bought 3rd cut I used KMS. No good. I mean she is amazing! Anyone needs their hay sorted, put Mooshy on the assembly line! No one does it better!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

That's hilarious!

Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MLT2007 View Post
    That's hilarious!
    Now it is now that I know what's acceptable, but it sure wasn't as I watched $ go down the drain in the process.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Very true. It's funny how our pets get us trained real quick...."what's acceptable." I can see Mooshy waving her little front paw, saying, "Human, you know better than to give me hay that does not meet my criteria. Take it away and don't come back until you get it right."

Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

Oh and if the hay is too old, forget it! Doesn't get that it comes from the same box! If it's been in the cage past her time or doesn't pass her nose test, it won't get eaten. I've tried putting it back in the container she recognizes as good hay when she's out of her cage then putting her back in and take that hay out and put it for her, and no go! I can't trick her! So I wind up not only dumping browns and debris, but what she still rejects even though it's nice and green and nothing wrong with it!

User Tag List