Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not happy with Small Pet Select, getting stingy.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Not happy with Small Pet Select, getting stingy.

When I first ordered from them In April I ordered 60 Lbs. The hay was awesome, It lasted my 5 guinea pigs about 4 months.
    So I placed another order in July. Expecting it to be the same quality but it was not. It wasn't good.
    There was no weeds or anything in it but It looks they took a hydraulic compressor and crushed it into a 12" x 24" cube.
    Right away I knew that this had been done on purpose so they could save money on the shipping.
    When i took the hay apart it mostly all fell apart into dust and tiny pieces. All the tops that are normally the guinea pigs favorite treat, the guinea pigs won't even eat.

I was just pissed off and angry that they would do this to some fine hay on purpose. I opened up a case with Ebay right away.
    I said i wanted at least half my money back, or a replacement since it's not the quality I would expect. Instead of them shipping me out some new good hay they haggled with me about my refund and I ended up only getting 20$ back. That was just because I was going through Ebay. Knowing what I know now I wouldn't have accepted the 20$ because i didn't realize how bad it really was going to get. If it were directly through them i'm sure they would have just ignored me like they did with my other emails.

My guinea pigs wouldn't even eat that hay. It would just fall to the bottom of the cage in little tiny pieces. Then after while they would eat it anyway. Then I started getting really sick every time I would go and get them the hay because i took the tiny little box and tried to fluff it out into a bigger box and lots of dust would go up in the air. I tried wearing a face mask but that didn't even help. This happened every time I had to get the hay out so every time I would think about how Small Pet Select screwed me. They just wanted to put more $$$ in their pocket and didn't care otherwise. I emailed them a few times, I didn't feel good and i was angry...they never answered any of my emails so i complained on Facebook. They removed my complaints from facebook and they also blocked me on facebook.

After 2 months I couldn't deal with getting sick all the time. I got some KMS hayloft hay which arrived a few days ago. That hay is great. But I shouldn't have had to buy new hay so soon, that usually will last 4 months, That small pet select hay I couldn't even deal with for more than 2 months and what's left of it is now in the compost pile.
    In the picture you can see a big sheet of hay I pick up all stuck together like that. The big box in the back is the Kms hayloft 45 lb good hay box. It looks smaller since it's behind the little 60lb bad hay box. That little box small pet select shipped it in is 12 x 24". The pictures don't even show how bad it really is.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1450446.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	69155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1450449.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	69156Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1450447.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	154.2 KB 
ID:	69157
    Last edited by norasdad; 09-21-14 at 02:16 pm.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    136 Rec'd/81 Posts
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)

Re: Not happy with Small Pet Select, getting stingy.

Awhile back they had announced on their website that they were going to the "compressed" hay. Apparently, they had tried it and people loved it so that became the new method. I don't have any complaints about it, but I guess people preferred the same amount of hay (weight-wise) in a smaller box, to take up less space. The box I just had delivered yesterday is back to the bigger size, so maybe they got enough complaints about the compressed hay.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I'm sure they just do it for the extra profit. If they are gonna ship compressed hay it should say so on the Ebay listing. Or they should let people choose how they want it. The compressed hay should be cheaper since they don't have to pay as much for shipping.

I guess the compressed hay is more people friendly, if your not gonna fluff it up and make yourself sick. The guinea pigs prefer the giant fluff of the uncompressed though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    111 Rec'd/89 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Items for Sale

The jury is still out in my household on the new compressed hay.
    I am not a fan. I preferred it the old way.
    My pigs are eating it as usual.
    I can't figure out how it is the same amount as the huge brown box I used to get for the same price with free shipping.

It is good to hear that some have received it recently in the old packaging and non compressed

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim37040 View Post
    The jury is still out in my household on the new compressed hay.
    I am not a fan. I preferred it the old way.
    My pigs are eating it as usual.
    I can't figure out how it is the same amount as the huge brown box I used to get for the same price with free shipping.

It is good to hear that some have received it recently in the old packaging and non compressed
    I didn't think it felt like 60 lbs either when I got it. Its crazy how small they got it. I didn't have a scale handy to actually weigh it though. Its like a huge ripoff for me. I didn't even get a guinea pig ring cause last time they gave away the guinea pig rings it was the day before I placed my order and that only lasted one day. By the time I found out its already over and I only found out a day later. Now they're doing it again but I am so angry with them. They saw all my angry posts about them and they pretend to everyone else like they care and than just ignore me and had my comments on Facebook removed and blocked me. They know who I am they could contact me if they really cared.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
    Thanks
    Thanks
    217 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

I had some hay issues too. My last order from Small Pet has been a while ago, obviously before the compressing and wasn't really impressed. I found 50lbs boxes of Oxbow at our local Theisens. Loved the first box and this last box was quite a bit of that little pieces stuff, dusty and not so good this time. Upsetting when you spend so much huh?
    So now I don't know where to go. No for sure not Kaytee, upset with Small Pets and Oxbow was a lot of waste at the bottom of that bag this time. Maybe end of the season stuff???
    Curious why you order it off ebay and not from their website? Their website is very nice. Ive complained about something once and they were very on the ball and made sure I was happy.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Artista's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

I've never had a problem with SPS. Any place you buy from is going to have good crop, not so good crop, so so crop. So there isn't a magical place where it's always going to be great. I get the 3rd cut hay and am getting ready to place an order for 10 lbs.

I never get anything bigger since I have 1 pig. Are you guys referring only to the large batches that come in the brown boxes?

Thanks
    Thanks
    217 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

My 50lbs of Oxbow came in a HUGE cardboard brown box. I ordered 20lbs from Small Pet Select that was in a white box. I agree, sometimes you get a bad batch depending on where they are on their stock I suppose, I must have gotten the bottom of the barrel!! It looked like that pic up on top, small, short pieces. I would put up with that instead of Kaytee though.
    Ive had to buy a small bag of Kaytee when I ran out once and my pigs wouldn't touch it!!!!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by daisy1cow View Post
    I had some hay issues too. My last order from Small Pet has been a while ago, obviously before the compressing and wasn't really impressed. I found 50lbs boxes of Oxbow at our local Theisens. Loved the first box and this last box was quite a bit of that little pieces stuff, dusty and not so good this time. Upsetting when you spend so much huh?
    So now I don't know where to go. No for sure not Kaytee, upset with Small Pets and Oxbow was a lot of waste at the bottom of that bag this time. Maybe end of the season stuff???
    Curious why you order it off ebay and not from their website? Their website is very nice. Ive complained about something once and they were very on the ball and made sure I was happy.
    Oxbow stands by their products. Each box has a skew# and should have a sheet with contact information. If you get a box that's not up to par, you can contact them and give them the skew# from the box and send a photo.

Thanks
    Thanks
    221 Rec'd/184 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Quoted
    133 Post(s)

I ordered an 8 pound box of Drs. Foster & Smith's signature timothy hay. It was awful. What I didn't throw away myself the pigs pulled out of the rack and peed on it. The oxbow at my local petsmart has been brown and gross lately so I've been buying Kaytee. Just have to be careful to get the good bags of that too. When the weather turns cooler I am hoping to buy a couple of bales from a feed store hear in town. They only stock it in the winter though.

Thanks
    Thanks
    217 Rec'd/160 Posts
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Quoted
    98 Post(s)

Oh, thanks Pinky, I have the huge box downstairs to stay cool and dry, I'll look that up. It was just a lot of waste this time. I threw the hay away today though since tomorrow is garbage day so I wouldn't have a pic, but it was a considerable amount. Ive been happy and I realize things happen. This was my 3rd 50lb box! I split it with my daughters 6 and my 5 and lasts about 2 months.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

In general, I think this hasn't been a good hay year for anybody.

Thanks
    Thanks
    519 Rec'd/417 Posts
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Quoted
    214 Post(s)

I know earlier in the year I had an issue with Oxbow's Timothy hay. I bought a 50lb box and it was pretty bad. My girls barely touched it and wouldn't even lie in it because it was so thick and rough. Luckily I was able to return it to the store. I have since been purchasing 9lb boxes of Oxbow's orchard grass which have been fantastic.

Thanks
    Thanks
    717 Rec'd/618 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)

I haven't bought SPS hay for quite a while. I did just buy KMS 2nd cut hay from this years crop and it is beautiful. It is so green and soft. I have one pig who just loves American Pet Diner Timothy High Fiber. I give her that as a special treat along with the KMS hay. A few weeks ago I ordered two 24oz bags from Drs. Foster & Smith and for the first time I was disappointed in one of the bags. The hay is normally very long strands but this time it seems to be in pieces. My pig Brownie will still eat it but I just didn't like the small pieces of hay.

It's so disappointing to spend the money and have the hay be less of a quality than you are used to getting. I guess we just can't control what nature gives us.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I recently received my order of 8lbs SMS hay. Although it's not as green as I hoped it would be, I didn't have much expectation because I ordered it knowing that this is from last year's crop (they haven't put this year's crop up on Amazon Canada yet, and I was running very low on hay.) The strands are long and it smells pretty good still, and came in one of those green SMS boxes (the ones they show on their site). I'm just hanging on until I can get hay from a local feed store.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	JyOk9yd.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	69178
    ^The hay is greener than it looks in the photo. My phone camera made it look much more brown.

I think perhaps the reason my hay is still decent is because it's last year's crop?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sallyvh View Post
    I know earlier in the year I had an issue with Oxbow's Timothy hay. I bought a 50lb box and it was pretty bad. My girls barely touched it and wouldn't even lie in it because it was so thick and rough. Luckily I was able to return it to the store. I have since been purchasing 9lb boxes of Oxbow's orchard grass which have been fantastic.
    I never buy from the store because there's no way to know how long they've had it. Timothy seems to vary by cut while orchard grass has always been pretty similar, no matter what time of season I buy it. Occasionally, I'll get more seedheads but the grass has always been nice and green. One time I had a single flake with yellow. I contacted them and they sent me a small box to replace it. All hay manufacturers have issues with hay once in awhile. Whether they stand by their product and replace a bad batch is what's important.

Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

Well I just ordered 10lbs of the 3rd cut. I put in the notes to please don't compress this hay. We'll see what I get! I haven't had a terrible batch yet from SPS..

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I'm just reading through this thread, and I just want to say that hay is a very difficult crop to get right. Even one shower of rain can completely destroy a whole crop of drying hay. It is never going to be perfect every time from any source. If you really want to be sure of the hays quality buy it in small square bales from a feed store or farmer, you will be able to see the quality before you buy it. I wouldn't worry about it being there too long, that is the point of making hay. It lasts for ages if stored correctly.

Thanks
    Thanks
    562 Rec'd/431 Posts
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Quoted
    337 Post(s)

Sps just answered me. They aren't compressing the 3rd cut hay. I didn't ask about the others since I don't buy the others from them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

Have you ever considered trying to find a local farmer and buying from them? That way you can see what you are buying before you buy. It can also be a lot cheaper, depending on where you live. It was funny once I had a lady come into the pet store I worked at and tell me about how she gets hay for $20 a bale instead of paying $20 for a bag of Oxbow. She is paying less than she would for the bag of Oxbow... but she is paying over double what you can get a bale for. I didn't tell her that because she was snippy and rude.

User Tag List