Thread: My young guinea pig has been insane since I got her. INSANE!!!

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

My young guinea pig has been insane since I got her. INSANE!!!

Please Help. I purchased a young guinea pig in store because their were not many breeders in my area and at the time there were not younger guinea pigs. One of my females has slowly been coming around to me the other is a spaz!!!! I mean she is a bat out of hell. I have tried holding her she tries to jump out of my arms. She is sooo hard to catch and by the end of me trying to work with her she and I are both exhausted. Any advice? I know she is feral. I am at my wits end.

Thanks
    Thanks
    10 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)

Re: My young guinea pig has been insane since I got her. INSANE!!!

How long have you had her? Bonding with your guinea pig takes time and patience.
    Put your hand in the cage and let her smell you so she gets use to your scent. Take it a step further and start hand feeding her veggies and/or other treats, like fruit. Do this for a week or two. Soon enough you'll find yourself petting her without a problem. But always approach her slowly from the side of her head where she can see your hand coming, or else you'll startle her. (Although not all guinea pigs are like that).

If you want to pick her up easily, lure her in a hidey house with a bottom floor so when you pick it up, she goes along as well. This avoids having you chase your guinea pig around and makes it less stressful for you and for them. Also, when you're holding her, hold her in a blanket or towel to your chest so she feels more secure.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    230 Rec'd/119 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I would try to adopt a guinea pig next time. You'd be surprised at how often poor guinea pigs are abandoned by their owners and therefore needs homes.
    Search craiglist, FB groups, and the humane society. ^^

Anyways, give your guinea pig some time to adjust. Try winning her trust with feeding her some tasty veggies. When you hold her, hold her against your chest and she shouldn't get too upset. If she does, put her back in her cage. Also, I'd recommend a vet visit since you purchased her from a pet store. Pet stores commonly sell sick, pregnant and injured guinea pigs. She may not like to be held due to a health issue, you'll never know unless you get her a check up from a good small animal vet.

4. "Thank you, TwilightStar, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

I second others. By the way, breeders and pet stores are no different. This site does not support breeding in any way because it is hard on the sow, in fact, killing 1 out of 5 of them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Hi there, how long have you had her? She may have mites, they can make it very uncomfortable for a piggie to be touched because they bite them under the skin. Here's info on mites: http://www.guinealynx.info/mites.html
    If you decide to take her to a vet make sure it's an exotic vet and don't let them do a skin scraping, it's difficult to find the mites and it will just cost you money and hurt your piggie and a good exotics vet will treat for mites anyway. Or you can buy ivermectin (feed store or online) and treat her yourself (directions on guinealynx.com or post here and people will help with instructions).

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

Each and every piggy is different, some are easy going and some are not so easy going. For you, small, baby steps are important because that's what it'll take to get the piggy used to you.

I agree with starting by putting your hand in the cage. The sooner she gets used to your scent, the better. Speaking a lot around her as well will get her used to your voice so that she isn't so jumpy or startled. Hold out veggies to her, and let her take them from your hand. Soon enough, she'll eat them from your hand.

Another cool trick is the towel trick. I'd youtube videos to show you how it's done, but it's made a huge difference for me with one of my piggies.

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Pigwidgeon View Post
    Each and every piggy is different, some are easy going and some are not so easy going. For you, small, baby steps are important because that's what it'll take to get the piggy used to you.

I agree with starting by putting your hand in the cage. The sooner she gets used to your scent, the better. Speaking a lot around her as well will get her used to your voice so that she isn't so jumpy or startled. Hold out veggies to her, and let her take them from your hand. Soon enough, she'll eat them from your hand.

Another cool trick is the towel trick. I'd youtube videos to show you how it's done, but it's made a huge difference for me with one of my piggies.

Best of luck! I'm sure you'll do fine.
    I have had her for 1 month or more and I have been trying all of these things. The vet said she was healthy and ive wrapped her in a blanket. Shes not like normal pigs that calm down when you hold them she tries to jump out of your arms and im afraid im going to drop her. Ive worked with the other one and shed doing great. I just feel like maybe she will never be tame....

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GuineaPcrazy View Post
    I have had her for 1 month or more and I have been trying all of these things. The vet said she was healthy and ive wrapped her in a blanket. Shes not like normal pigs that calm down when you hold them she tries to jump out of your arms and im afraid im going to drop her. Ive worked with the other one and shed doing great. I just feel like maybe she will never be tame....
    You're right, she may never be tame enough to cuddle with. Guinea pigs are just like humans, each one has an individual personality with likes and dislikes, and she may always dislike being held. She may come round in a long time, (I've seen some take over a few years to relax and cuddle), but you have to be prepared to love her either way.

A vet has no idea if a pig has mites, no more than you or I. Even a skin scraping can't usually "prove" mites are there, as the area scraped may just be mite free, and it's painful for the pig. Treating for mites will rule out her being grumpy due to them irritating her, and if she doesn't have them, no harm done, because the treatments safe whether or not they have mites.

If you've already posted a picture of her, I apologise for this question, but does she happen to be a red/red & white pig? Seem particularly large compared to your other girl? Seem more muscular and strong than chubby? I ask because her behaviour sounds similar to cuy pigs, a breed of guinea pig that's typically used for food, not pet ownership. With years of care and attention, they can come round to relaxing on a lap for a few minutes, but some never will. They're also a lot stronger than your average guinea pig and can obviously wiggle out of your arms much easier, and are also harder to catch in the first place due to their naturally (hyper)skittish nature.

10. "Thank you, Princess_Piggie, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    You're right, she may never be tame enough to cuddle with. Guinea pigs are just like humans, each one has an individual personality with likes and dislikes, and she may always dislike being held. She may come round in a long time, (I've seen some take over a few years to relax and cuddle), but you have to be prepared to love her either way.

A vet has no idea if a pig has mites, no more than you or I. Even a skin scraping can't usually "prove" mites are there, as the area scraped may just be mite free, and it's painful for the pig. Treating for mites will rule out her being grumpy due to them irritating her, and if she doesn't have them, no harm done, because the treatments safe whether or not they have mites.

If you've already posted a picture of her, I apologise for this question, but does she happen to be a red/red & white pig? Seem particularly large compared to your other girl? Seem more muscular and strong than chubby? I ask because her behaviour sounds similar to cuy pigs, a breed of guinea pig that's typically used for food, not pet ownership. With years of care and attention, they can come round to relaxing on a lap for a few minutes, but some never will. They're also a lot stronger than your average guinea pig and can obviously wiggle out of your arms much easier, and are also harder to catch in the first place due to their naturally (hyper)skittish nature.

She looks like a Siamese cat in coloring. Mostly white and Brown at the tips of her ears and a little brown on her nose. She does not have red eyes though they are black. I cant figure out how to post pictures on here yet

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    40 Rec'd/32 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

I second the other thoughts on going with a rescue or looking online locally, odds are someone somewhere near you is looking to rehome and it's much safer than getting from breeders or petstores, however I too didn't know and both of my boysa re pet store boys so maybe I can help

In the past month my boys have been REALLY opening up to me, wanting cuddles daily, even letting me hold one or the other sometimes..but it has been a long time coming, and they STILL run away every day, but now they tentatively run back to me

I got them in feb and i could only start cuddling them both about a month ago so that would be ...about 5-6 months before they started opening up to me, doing ALL the tricks you're doing daily

It takes a lot of time and patience with feral pigs, because they are NOT handled by people, and if they are, it's always a negitive way, so the association with people they have is a very bad one, we have to fix that don't give up

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Here's a good article on developing trust with your baby guinea pig. Might be of use to you: http://www.thepetmatchmaker.com/baby...develop-trust/

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

There's a couple of videos that also help as well. Some piggies warm up very quickly -my first guy, Sir Pig, warmed up right away and when people walk by he's the only one that doesn't run away and then come back. He's pretty tame. On the other hand, my smallest guy is still very skittish, and even doing the same things with him that I do with my other two, he is not the type to just sit in my lap for more than a minute or so without wanting to run around. Sir Pig can watch a whole movie with me with no problems, sleeping off and on, and President Snow is content for just about 15 minutes before he either needs the bathroom or he just wants back down. @Princess_Piggie is definitely correct! Some may not ever want to just cuddle.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Ah, she's not a cuy then. She sounds like a himi (himalayan). My girls are both part himi, "purebreeds" would have black ears, feet, and nose. They're actually called the siamese cats of the guinea pig world!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    104 Rec'd/100 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    awwww, they sound so pretty...
    I am blind so cant see picks

User Tag List