Thread: What is the proper way to clean guinea pigs ears? And more.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

What is the proper way to clean guinea pigs ears? And more.

I don't know how to clean my piggies ears and I don't want to hurt them. Any ideas? Also while I'm cleaning them is there any other part of the guinea pig that needs cleaning every once a week or month? ( I already bathe them every 1-3 months so their coat does not get too greasy and I trim their nails when they get long) im just making sure they are clean and healthy and does anybody know a good cleaner for a guinea pigs grease gland that is not too much money? Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,331 Rec'd/5,843 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Re: What is the proper way to clean guinea pigs ears? And more.

3. "Thank you, bpatters, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

They don't really need to be bathed that often. It can dry out their skin. Their hair also doesn't get greasy very often, if at all. I'd say 1-2 times a year. But if you MUST, then don't bathe them more often than every 3 months. But I honestly wouldn't.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,440 Rec'd/991 Posts
    Mentioned
    293 Post(s)
    Quoted
    700 Post(s)

For the grease gland you can simply use a tiny amount of Dawn dish soap.

6. "Thank you, CavyMama, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic View Post
    I'd say 1-2 times a year. But if you MUST, then don't bathe them more often than every 3 months.
    My goodness you must not handle your cavies very much if you only bathe them 1-2x/year! Mine would be so stinky that I couldn't permit them to get near my face. I bathe mine once a month in the warmer weather, less often in the winter, and do more butt baths than anything. How often to bathe depends on many factors such as fleece or other materials, do they use a litter box, do they have longer hair, etc, etc.

If you aren't familiar with "butt baths", I run about two inches of water in a dishpan.........just enough to come up to the belly and cover their feet. The purpose is to wash their genital areas and get rid of the ever-present poop shoes. I use Squeaky Clean shampoo that one can buy at almost any pet store.

Cavies, by nature, are pretty clean animals, but they simply don't have the body configuration or dexterity to really groom themselves as do cats. I find the "sniff test" to be pretty reliable.........when I can no longer stand them being on my chest and near my nose, it's time for a bath.

8. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BudGonChew View Post
    I don't know how to clean my piggies ears and I don't want to hurt them. Any ideas?
    Sure, have your Vet show you how to do it. I have grooming day about once a month when I clean ears and genitals, trim nails, cut hair, and bathe if necessary.
    I have a neutered male and an intact female and inspect and clean the genitals of both on a regular basis. I find that cleaning ears is the easiest of all to do.

Many people don't have the knowledge or skill to do a deep cleaning of the ears, so you won't be likely to find those instructions online. It takes a certain finesse to avoid causing discomfort and possible damage. I don't have a problem with it because I'm a healthcare professional and am accustomed to doing fairly delicate tasks.

10. "Thank you, spy9doc, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I normaly bathe them every three months but sometimes they pee on each other and they start to smell really bad! I also do the sniff test

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

My goodness you must not handle your cavies very much if you only bathe them 1-2x/year!
    Actually some short haired guinea pigs go on their whole lives without bathing. 1 to 3 times a year sounds about right though.

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

A short haired guinea pig kept in a clean cage should not be so stinky that they need to be bathed more than a couple times a year, unless they pee on each other or something. I hadn't every bathed my pigs until I needed to for their ringworm treatment.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    22 Rec'd/9 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Guinea pigs shouldn't smell very much at all if they're housed in proper condition (ie. large cage cleaned every week). I've not fully bathed my pigs twice in their 4 year life spans, and my long haired Sheltie only needs butt baths every 4 months or so (sometimes less often) - and they aren't smelly at all! My guinea pigs are held every day for at least half an hour (usually for an hour, plus floor time) and are on my chest for the most part (their favourite spot), so it's like a sniff test for a half-hour every day.

Thanks
    Thanks
    100 Rec'd/78 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)

I haven't bathed my girls since I can't remember when! They have had the occasional wipe over with pet wipes & 1-2x a butt-clean with small amount of soap & warm damp flannel. They have never been smelly, & I love to nuzzle their cheeks. For their ears I just use a warm damp flannel & gently wipe. Their ears always appear clean.

User Tag List