Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is my girl pregnant?

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
I adopted this cutie from a shelter 4 weeks ago as a companion for my two older girls (they just turned two and I've had them since they were about five weeks old). Over the past week I've noticed her body shape becoming more like a large fruit than a guinea pig. So does this look like normal weight gain or possible pregnancy? I'm more than happy with it being weight gain because I've only ever heard bad things about guinea pig pregnancies and she is under six months old. Her two littermates were supposedly both females. The shelter worker said that their original family unknowingly bought a pregnant pig from a pet store. The worker also admitted that she didn't know much about guinea pigs so I'm not sure if she mis-sexed them/didn't sex them at all.
IMG_6566[2].jpg
This is the best picture I could get. It seems like she's just blown up this week but then again it could be just my imagination.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
Definitely looks very pregnant. If you gently hold her sides for awhile, can you feel anything moving in there? From the way she looks, she's probably pretty far along. If she's under 6 months old, that is actually a good thing since once they're older it gets harder to safely give birth. If you've already introduced her to your 2 other girls, she can stay with them as long as the cage is large enough for 3 girls plus a litter. You need to baby-proof her cage and make sure she has a source of calcium. If she's with the other girls, you don't want to also give them calcium, so the best thing to do is give just your pregnant pig 2 sprigs of parsley every day in addition to timothy pellets, unlimited grass hay, and the regular cup of veggies. If she's living alone, you can give her unlimited alfalfa pellets with unlimited grass hay and regular veggies. You also need to provide enough vitamin C for her, by giving her plenty of green bell pepper and/or a vitamin C supplement. Good luck!

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
That is one pregnant girl!! Good luck. Read up, there is great info on guinealynx. I had a litter and all was good. Baby proof, up her veggies a bit and enjoy the babies.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Yep, I'd say she's having pups. Cavyspirit.com is also an excellent source of information on all things piggie. She can stay in with your two older females, they usually make good aunts and help with the babies, but you may need a bigger cage. Separate any male pups from the females at 21 days, they become sexually mature very quickly. We can help determine the pups' genders if you post pictures. And good luck, and we'd love to see pictures of the little ones once they arrive!

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone! I just baby proofed the cage with my extra grids, and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to expand the cage (it's a 2x3 and she's already in with my other girls) Is there any way to tell how much longer it might be until they're born? And yes, I'll definitely post pictures. :)

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
And I forgot to say, I did feel a little movement last night when I held her but I wasn't sure if I was imagining things or not.

Cosmic

Cavy Slave
You shouldn't have put her in with the other two in a 2x3. That's tiny. A 2x3 is minimum for 2 pigs. It's cramped for 3+pups. They have no room to get away from each other.

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I mistyped. It's a 2x4.

pigger123

Cavy Slave
A 2x4 is the bare minimum for 3 sows, so having an extra litter of pups would be really cramped. If at all possible, expand the 2x4. If that really can't be done than maybe you could build another 2x4 and separate the pregnant pig into her own cage so she could have enough space for her babies.

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
A 2x4 is the bare minimum for 3 sows, so having an extra litter of pups would be really cramped. If at all possible, expand the 2x4. If that really can't be done than maybe you could build another 2x4 and separate the pregnant pig into her own cage so she could have enough space for her babies.

I'm planning on getting a 2x6, but it depends on how many she ends up having and their sexes. She's already pretty well bonded with my other two girls and I don't want to put her through the stress of moving cages again so soon.

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
Just a little update, Hazel (that's her name, I have no idea why I didn't put it in the original post) is HUGE even compared to a week ago. The pups have been kicking a lot and her pelvic bones are separated about a finger apart. This means it should be soon, right? I've read so many conflicting things about how much longer they have after the bones are separated.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Its ok to have them in a 2x4. Sometimes if the cage is too big and mom isnt experienced, she will run from her babies and not nurse them well enough. I had to take my mom out and put her my store bought cage I use when Im cleaning the big cage because she didn't know what to do with her baby! She ran from him and poor auntie was trying to nurse him, but of course she couldn't. After a couple of days I put them back and all was good. Expand when you can, it'll be ok while babies are little so they bond and get fed.
As far as when?? They come when they come. There is a range of dates and depending on how many, how big and whatever, its a guess unfortunately. Kind of like human babies, they never come when you want them too!

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
She is defiantly pregnant! The people before me have given some really good advice and it seems like you know what to do. I would just recommend that you have a emergency vet on speed dial that's not to far away from you so that if anything bad happens while shes giving birth you can quickly take her to the vet. Good luck and keep us updated!

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
Its ok to have them in a 2x4. Sometimes if the cage is too big and mom isnt experienced, she will run from her babies and not nurse them well enough. I had to take my mom out and put her my store bought cage I use when Im cleaning the big cage because she didn't know what to do with her baby! She ran from him and poor auntie was trying to nurse him, but of course she couldn't. After a couple of days I put them back and all was good. Expand when you can, it'll be ok while babies are little so they bond and get fed.
As far as when?? They come when they come. There is a range of dates and depending on how many, how big and whatever, its a guess unfortunately. Kind of like human babies, they never come when you want them too!

Okay, thanks. I'll do that. I need some more time to decide about the cage situation anyway. And I know, but the waiting is killing me. I've been a nervous/excited wreck the last few days.

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
She is defiantly pregnant! The people before me have given some really good advice and it seems like you know what to do. I would just recommend that you have a emergency vet on speed dial that's not to far away from you so that if anything bad happens while shes giving birth you can quickly take her to the vet. Good luck and keep us updated!
Thanks and I will :)

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
Well, I have good news and bad news. On Wednesday the 17th, Hazel had her pups. Two girls and one boy. Here they are on the day they were born.
IMG_6749[1].jpg

The gray and white one is the boy. Unfortunately, he didn't make it through the first night. I was gone all day and most of the evening and when I came back he was gone. Last night, we lost the brown and white girl. I'm not going to say all of the details because it's a really long story but she was weak from the start and I'm glad she's not suffering anymore. And I know they'll both be happier in heaven than I ever could have made them here. The tricolor girl is strong and healthy, she follows Hazel and my other two girls around and she's already munching on hay. I'm not sure if we'll be keeping her or not, but if we do I'll probably buy a new chloroplast bottom and a few more grids when she's a little older, so the cage is big enough for all of them. I don't know if I could handle rehoming her, she's just so darn cute. :)I do need some help on naming her though. Nothing I can think of seems to fit her.
IMG_6751[1].jpg

Rywen

Cavy Slave
Wow, they are all adorable and I'm sorry two of them didn't survive long. Maybe you should name the remaining girl something that means strong or survivor?

skittles3024

Cavy Slave
How about Ricci (means forever strong in Norway) or Bree (which means strong one in Ireland) :)

SLovesPigs

Cavy Slave
How about Ricci (means forever strong in Norway) or Bree (which means strong one in Ireland) :)

I really like both of those. I'll think about it. Thank you.

YinYangPiggies

Cavy Slave
So sorry to hear about the loss of the babies! I wonder what was wrong with them. I'm so glad that you have one left & she is doing well though! I'm sure it won't hurt to add one more piggy to the mix ;-)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.