Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Biting

So I've been looking through these forums and I've decided to ask for help. I've got two boys who are still young. My first little guy is Guinea and he's the one I need help with. Now I know that Guinea isn't afraid of me, I've had him since February. My problem is that he won't let me pick him up. I have used his house to scoop him up and he has no issues with it. But if I hold him for any length of time near his pen he bites really hard at everything in snout reach. For that matter if I hold him for any length of time anywhere he bites me. I've tried using a towel but the rascal is creative! I've given him treats while I hold him but he just eats them and then bites me until I release him. He will sit calmly in my lap for awhile until he decides he wants off. Then he starts aggressively biting me unless I let him get down. Even if I just hold my hand out he comes up and sniffs and then bites me slowly unless I move away a little. He lets me pet him most of the time and if I start with his head (he loves head rubs) he even lets me pet his body. Sometimes he dances away if I try to pet his body, but it's like he enjoys running off and making me chase him more than to be mean. Houdini on the other hand has only ever nibbled me.

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Biting

Oh and if I sit on the floor he likes to come up and run around me and lets me pet him while he samples my clothes and especially my shoes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    104 Rec'd/100 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    mine have a liking for my d m laces
    I am blind so cant see picks

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Wow, i've never heard of such an aggressive guinea pig. I dont really have a solution, but im curious, what kind of breed is Guinea?

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Egh, I know his breed but I can't think of it, he's the chocolate colored one on the right in my avatar.

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

So I just bathed him and his buddy and I noticed that when he is wrapped in a towel or sitting on one, he grabs it and tries to rearrange it. I think I might have misinterpreted his actions a little. He still bites to get down and will not let me pick him up, but I don't think he's trying to hurt me when I try and hold him in a towel. I'm thinking he might just not be paying attention to where my hands are when he's rearranging it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

So I have a little 3 month old, and when he is ready to get down, he will move around a lot. If I don't pay attention to his "I'm done, let me down" hints, then he does bite me to let me know. Or, if they're scared of how they're being held, or of something around them that startles them, then they can bite. They're usually pretty perceptive though, and when he mistook my thumb for the carrot in my hand, I watched him duck his head and then look really apologetic as he pulled the carrot from my palm. It was cute, and very illuminating. The younger they are, the more you may be bitten because they are experimenting and are still learning. They can pick up on if they've bitten the wrong thing, or if they bit too hard.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kishaa View Post
    Egh, I know his breed but I can't think of it, he's the chocolate colored one on the right in my avatar.
    Hmmm its kind of hard to tell with such a small picture, but looks like an American breed. This should help if you're curious:http://www.guineapighub.com/guinea-pig-breeds.html

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

I understand that, but he's nine months old (approximately) and he's been through a lot of noise and movement when we lived in our apartment as he was in my living room. He isn't afraid of much at all. He loves the vacuum cleaner and does the happy dance when I turn it on to vacuum the floor. He is insanely curious and tries to play with the dogs (I won't let him) and outside in his playpen he doesn't even flinch at cars pulling up or trucks driving by on the road. He doesn't seem to be ashamed at all when he bites me. I'm thinking he's just a little rascal. I still love my baby, bites and all. Though it's one of the reasons I have Houdini, who's only ever nibbled a little at my fingers. I looked it up and Guinea is an American guinea pig and Houdini is an Abyssinian.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    122 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Biting can be a sign of pain, it's usually a way of saying "Don't do that, it hurts". Some piggies, though, are just bitey. Are you sure he doesn't have mites? @bpatters may have more ideas on it.

11. "Thank you, PiggleLove2013, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Well When I got my Houdini, he had mites so I took them both to the vets for some mite medication. They both had the shot and I requested they send me a reminder in the mail when I need come back for another one. They should be good for a couple more months. He's been biting at me since I got him though, which has been since February.

User Tag List