Thanks
    Thanks
    3 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Treats?

What would you guys recommend to be a really good treat for my piggys?
    ~Halie & Bruno

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Re: Treats?

Fresh vegetables/fruit are the only/best treats you can feed. Anything you see in the aisles in the pet stores are bad for them even in moderation. You can give them fresh fruit once a week as a treat, or a little extra of their favourite vegetables here and there.

Thanks
    Thanks
    67 Rec'd/52 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

honestly fresh fruit and veggies are the best treats for guinea pigs. Think about it. Technically, they aren't missing out on anything if they have never had the sugar filled treats that are sold at petstores.

I think think the treats are really for us as owners in a way. Psychologically, we want them to be happy by giving them these treats but really they wouldn't know the difference if they have never had them.

My form of treats are the fruits and veggies that they have to eat in moderation. I don't feed apples to my pigs everyday. To much sugar in my opinion. But I slice up half an apple for each pig once a week and that is considered their "treats"

but as far as "yogurt drops" and "rice pops" are concerned, don't bother

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cheyenneee View Post
    My form of treats are the fruits and veggies that they have to eat in moderation. I don't feed apples to my pigs everyday. To much sugar in my opinion. But I slice up half an apple for each pig once a week and that is considered their "treats" [/I]
    In my opinion, even half of an apple once a week is too much sugar. The most fruit I give my pigs is a very small bit, like a cubic centimeter, once or twice a week. I probably could give them more than that, but they don't need it and healthy veggies are just as delicious to them.

If you do want to give them store bought treats, Smaks cookies are like the one kind that they can have. I give my piggies a pumpkin pie flavored cookie on occasion, which is awesome for training them to do tricks since I can break up the cookie into little pieces. These treats don't really have very much sugar, probably less than apple, so it's okay to give it to them more often.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,242 Rec'd/5,769 Posts
    Mentioned
    2030 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3810 Post(s)

I also wouldn't give half an apple at a time. It's too much of a sugar overload, and is more likely to cause an intestinal disturbance than small amounts fed more frequently.

Thanks
    Thanks
    867 Rec'd/748 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Those smacks pumpkin pie cookies smell delicious, I've thought about trying one, .

Thanks
    Thanks
    6 Rec'd/6 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Apples have been mentioned , also Nellie goes nuts for little pieces of orange .... Maybe only an amount that would fill a tablespoon ( not a heaping one )... Elmer hates oranges, go figure .... They both love apples though , Mike

User Tag List