Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

"We had Guinea Pigs had I was a kid and never....."

That gets under my skin. A lot of people don't mean to say something that bothers me while others seem to be trying to but regardless I am tired of hearing "We had Guinea Pig(s) when I was kid and".......

"We never fed them veggies every day"
    "A little glass tank was all we had"
    "We just had one by itself"

When it's followed by......

"And it/they were just fine"
    "And I don't remember any issues"

Of course my husband actually said it recently but he and I like to pick on each other and I can understand his position. He told me they had Guinea pigs and he never once saw his mom stick a Q-tip there!

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

Re: "We had Guinea Pigs had I was a kid and never....."

I had guinea pigs as a teen and now I feel horribly guilty that we didn't know how to care for them properly. They ate pellets, iceberg lettuce, and celery and I don't remember giving them hay. They lived in glass aquariums. We separated a bonded male female pair because they had babies. I have no idea if it was possible to have a make guinea pig neutered in the early 80's? Sadness.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    866 Rec'd/699 Posts
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    400 Post(s)

I had guinea pigs through most of my childhood, one at a time, and they lived in a large fishtank alone. Only the last one that I had in high school had hay, because we took him to the vet for another issue and the vet told us he needed it. I feel bad about how they lived because I really loved them and thought that what they were getting was okay. When I showed my mom my setup for my current boys, she remarked on how much personality they had and how much happier they seemed with a big cage and a friend. We just never knew until I started doing research here and we saw it for ourselves.

4. "Thank you, ThePigAlchemist, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

We had rats and hamsters at times and absolutely did a poor job caring for them and had I not put research into this I likely would be making similar mistakes but instead of saying "mine turned out fine" I think "how sad that we didn't know". It's the attitude of "my grandma smoked 3 packs a day and lived to 90 so why the fuss" that is bothersome to me. The piggies might have lived a while under poor care but that doesn't mean we shouldn't provide better care now that we know so much more! Heck, there was a time that everyone smoked cigarettes because as a population we didn't realize how bad it was but now we do so we tell our kids not to smoke.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    90 Rec'd/79 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

This is part of the reason I never asked my parents if I could have pigs when I was a kid. My cousins kept their pigs in smallish plastic containers where they got no hay and few veggies and my dad is the type to think, "If it's good enough for them..." Even when I was five (when my cousins got their first pig) I knew there was something wrong with keeping an animal in a box they can only turn around in.

My mom also had pigs when she was a kid, and she told me they only had one at a time and the pig lived outside due to my grandmother's allergies. I do whatever I want with my pigs, and my mom likes my set-up better than what she had. She even mentioned she wonders how the girls would act if we made the cage bigger. She thinks rumble-strutting/purring is hilarious. Apparently she never saw or heard hers doing it.

Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/16 Posts
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)

I had several hamsters as a kid. We kept them on pine bedding and never fed them hay.
    I feel so sad. I remember reading every book in the library about their care. If I could, I'd go back and build a big bin cage.
    My parents never let me have a guinea pig ("they smell"), and that was probably best, knowing what I know now.

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

It's quite unfortunate guinea pigs aren't able to speak out native tongue, otherwise they'd be expressing how miserable they are under those circumstances.

Thanks
    Thanks
    34 Rec'd/29 Posts
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)

I'm glad that my parents never let me get a guinea pig as a child, or else I'd have done the same thing. They didn't know a lot about guinea pigs, so they said that because they didn't know anything, we shouldn't get them. I always thought it was so unfair when I was younger! We had a dog, but he was a family dog, not my dog. Now though, I see things differently. Sir Pig was an impulse buy, and when I got home and actually read up on guinea pigs, I realized just how right my parents were, and how ridiculous I was to fall into the same mistake that many others have made. Thankfully, I've been able to go back and fix my errors. But in my head, I'm thinking, "goodness, how right my parents were!"

User Tag List