Thread: How to get piggie safely in cage?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How to get piggie safely in cage?

Hi everyone! I'm looking for suggestions on how to get our piggie safely in her cage (it's a 2 x 3 with 1 x 3 loft C & C). Let me explain...

Cosmo is 3 months old and very active. We have only had her for about 3 weeks, so she's still getting used to us and we're still getting used to having a guinea pig. Hence, when we are returning her to her cage after lap or floor time, as soon as she sees her cage coming, she wiggles so much I'm afraid to drop her or that she'll jump out of my hand. (I always try to use one hand under her bum and the other under her belly, but when she wiggles, its very difficult!)

She does a great job sitting still and allowing us to scratch her favorite spot during lap time (I should say chest time!), but as soon as she sees the cage coming she goes wild trying to get to it. (She isn't the fondest of being picked up either, but as soon as we hold her close, she settles right down most times.) I try to 'catch' her in a tube or cozy sack to transport her, but that isn't always possible. We give her 30-60 minutes floor time daily (plus cuddle time), and she runs around popcorning in her cage too, so I think she's getting the exercise she needs.

Any suggestions? Will she eventually settle down a bit, or is it her personality shining through?

Thanks so much!
    Piggie Pal

Cavy Star
    Thanks
    Thanks
    52 Rec'd/42 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Re: How to get piggie safely in cage?

I put my pigs in with them facing away from their cage. If they cant see the cage, they won't wiggle to try to get to the cage. You can also try covering her eyes or put her in a box so she cant jump.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,330 Rec'd/5,842 Posts
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3926 Post(s)

Another trick is to hold her firmly as you're putting her in the cage. She'll squirm, and you just keep holding her until she stops. Then put her down. She'll soon learn that wiggling won't work, and it won't be such a battle to get her back home safely.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

When my guinea pigs do that, i try and get them back in position and then i grab there attention by talking to them or stroking them. Normally this reduces them trying to hop back in their cage.

Thanks
    Thanks
    80 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)

One of mine get very excited for the cage and tries to jump back prematurely. A firm grip usually does the trick, when he’s being particularly feisty, I wrap him a towel. By the time he’s wiggled free from the towel, he’s already back in the cage.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I face my pigs away from the cage and/ have a firm grip on them so they can't jump

Cavy Slave
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

I've always used the towel method like Icarus mentioned. But even with a towel, you still need to hold onto them firmly. I don't think you have much of a choice if they're doing everything in their power to wiggle free. Have you tried bribing them with treats in the cage?

Thanks
    Thanks
    868 Rec'd/749 Posts
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)

I put mine in in cuddle sack before I put them back in, or I put them in rump first so they won't jump.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

richguinea,

Yes, we give her lots of treats both in the cage and out. We're at the stage where we can hand feed her fine; she usually comes to the edge of the cage when we talk to her; and sometimes (if she's into what she's eating enough) we can touch her a little while she's eating. She allows us to pet her during lap time, just not so much when she's on the floor or in her cage yet.

Wow! There are many good ideas to try - thanks to all who took the time to respond! I'm relieved we're not the only one to have the wiggly issue (one wonders if one is doing something wrong when one is a new piggie slave...)

Thanks again everyone!!
    Piggie Pal

User Tag List