Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Sad Someone getting rid of piggies

CavyLover88

Cavy Slave
I was looking on craiglist and stumbled upon 2 male piggies in a HUGE C&C cage and fleece and the owner is getting rid of them cause they don't have time :sad: It makes me sad to see people get rid of piggies.....

Power Piggies

Cavy Slave
Hopefully they are picky about the new home. At least they are honest rather than let them sit there neglected. Sometimes circumstances change beyond a person's control.

EllaBellaMuffin

Cavy Star, Video Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Its because many people think guinea pigs are disposable starter pets, its like a step up from stuffed toy. I have seen many times people are getting rid of piggies because they are getting a cat or a dog or just tired of it. All the guinea pigs are sold single in very small pet store cages and guinea pigs simply gets depressed and become boring to children.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Well at least these people knew better about store cages and had a c&c.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately some times you can't be picky where you live. I had to rehome my cat of 9 years because we were moving into an apartment where pets weren't allowed. Unfortunately we had to move there because my dad and mom split and my mom only made like $250 every two weeks. So we couldn't afford a regular place we had to move into a low income apartment. We didn't get rid if her right away because she was living with my dad. But since she was fixed and dad and his girlfriend already had a cat a male who was always after her. And since she was spayed she wanted no part of it. It was so bad she would hide in the kitchen cabinets. Once my dad felt it wasn't fair she brought her to my grandmothers where we were living before we found the apartment. My grandmother hates animals and had to get rid of both my cat and dog because she didn't like them. Unfortunately there was nothing we could do as we were living there rent free and it was her house. I hated getting rid of my cat Kelsey she was my very first pet. And I loved her so much I wish I could have run away with her. But she went to a great home where she would be spoiled and the only cat. The lady was an elderly lady who had just moved and had to leave her cat behind. It was fate she was also a widow and kids all grown up. So sometimes you have no choice I wish I could have kept her but I just couldn't and I still miss her. Although now she's probably over the rainbow bridge cause she would be around 15 or 16.

WheekedGoodPigs

Cavy Slave
We have two recent pigs surrendered because owners were moving and didn't want to take them on their drive. The pig's are also about 5-6 years old. Sigh.. I am so tempted to bring them home and let them retire here.

Smashley

Cavy Slave
Although I know most won't agree with me, I think what those people are doing is very responsible.

You didn't really describe what type of conditions the pigs are in, and you didn't go into detail about their environment, but you did mention that they live in a huge C&C cage. That alone shows that these people are more responsible and knowledgeable than several guinea pig owners out there.

From what you have said, there's very little we know about these people...

(1) They own two male guinea pigs
(2) Their guinea pigs are kept in a "huge" C&C cage
(3) They use fleece bedding in their cage

What else do we know about these people? Nothing. We don't know how old they are. We don't know what they do for work. We don't know what important commitments they may have. We don't know what's going on in their household. We don't know their family situation. We don't know what kind of hardships they may be going through. Honestly, we don't know anything about these people, so what gives us the right to judge them?

Yes, these people should have considered the fact that guinea pigs are a long-term commitment. They're not toys. They're not disposable. They are living creatures who rely on us to give them a healthy and enriching life. This life can easily last up to 8-10 years. That should always be considered when someone is thinking about adopting a guinea pig. However, at the same time, nothing in life is ever set in stone. Relationships... Jobs... Friends... Family... Schooling... It's impossible to know exactly what you'll be doing 8 years from now. It's impossible to know for certain whether or not you'll truly be able to care for your beloved guinea pigs for their entire lives. Who's to say a life changing event didn't happen to these people, making it impossible for them to give their guinea pigs the time they deserve?

In my honest opinion, I think these people are doing the right thing by realizing they can no longer care for their guinea pigs properly. Instead of neglecting their piggies, they're looking for someone else who will give them the love and care they deserve. Because I don't know these people, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt, and assume that this is the case. I hope they find their piggies a great home!

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie well that's actually good to know so there is hope she's still alive :).

I was just going on the fact we don't really know much about these people. And we don't really know the reason why they are rehoming them. They could have a very good reason.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie I gotta tell ya, while in get what you're saying, it's not really fair. While there are certainly many cases where I would agree, they aren't cut and dry. New spouse? I love my piggies but I wouldn't lose a spouse for one. New baby? As a mom that had pp depression, I can tell you, I'd re home my pigs to keep my head above water. It's tough. I kinda feel like anyone that wants to re-home, probably should. What kind of life would it be for a pig to be where they aren't wanted or where they are resented. I understand you're just looking for people to think it through and be responsible but better to re home than to just let them sit or worse yet put them down or release them.

Flowering

Cavy Slave
[MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION] I gotta tell ya, while in get what you're saying, it's not really fair. While there are certainly many cases where I would agree, they aren't cut and dry. New spouse? I love my piggies but I wouldn't lose a spouse for one. New baby? As a mom that had pp depression, I can tell you, I'd re home my pigs to keep my head above water. It's tough. I kinda feel like anyone that wants to re-home, probably should. What kind of life would it be for a pig to be where they aren't wanted or where they are resented. I understand you're just looking for people to think it through and be responsible but better to re home than to just let them sit or worse yet put them down or release them.

I agree I think piggys should be rehomed because if someone doesn't want them or can't manage then this is not what's best for the piggy

Painter

Cavy Slave
I think I would have to , loving pigs is almost a sickness, I have it real bad !!!

pinky

Cavy Slave
I think we're fortunate that craigslist exists to allow this person to find a new owner for them. It could be a lot worse.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
Being the animal lover that I am I would have to tell my future husband that I want animals before we even get married. I couldn't deal with not having some kind of pet. I actually had to go without one when my parents divorced for like 3 years. And all through those 3 years I was depressed. Then we moved into our current apartment which only allows small pets, no dogs or cats unless its for medical reasons. Once I got Star my life got a billion times better and I truly was happier. I was miserable during that time I don't think I could do it again.

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
I fully agree with [MENTION=30035]barbaramudge[/MENTION], having the rehome animals isn't always a completely black-and-white situation. People may have sudden financial difficulties, or live in a rented property that suddenly imposes a no animals rule, or develop a medical condition that means they can't care for their pet properly any more.

Of course there are always cases where the pet was an impulse purchase, the owner gets bored/can't be bothered caring for them, and up for adoption they go, but to my mind someone with a large, fleece lined C&C knows exactly what commitment they're making, because you can't really stumble across C&C info without finding a page about proper care. My guess is there's more to the "no time" reason that they'd rather not share, and if not, I highly doubt anyone who provides a seemingly high standard of care would give up there pigs for that reason unless they truly had no time any more.

Having to become a carer to a sick relative, having to take on extra work hours to make ends meet, there are a whole bunch of totally valid reasons for the owners to not have time any more.

ThePiggiesGotMe

Cavy Slave
I think at the heart of being a good pet owner is knowing if you're in over your head....if your furbabies need something you can't provide. That can take on different forms. Finding this forum for me was a result of realizing I had little to no good info on guinea pigs when we got our first. The end goal should be the best home you can give your animals, and being realistic that it may possibly mean them living with someone other than you. Not a happy thought, but a mature one in certain situations.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I understand what your saying [MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION] :). Pets are a life long commitment and that situation would upset me as well. And yes I agree getting a pet should be a family decision. I agree 100% in what you are saying :)

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
@Kelsie I do understand what you're saying and I don't disagree but I guess my point is...pick your battles. Seems most everything is disposable now adays, not just small animals. It's sad. You didn't upset me or step on my toes. I just wanted you to look at some other perspectives is all.

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
There are definitely some situations in which I feel like rehoming is the right thing to do. However, for me, a new spouse wouldn't be one of them. Anyone who would give me an "it's me or the pigs" ultimatum is not somebody who would respect my wishes in the long run. I would rather be single than have a spouse not let me have pets.
Same here I don't need someone like that neither should anybody else.

barbaramudge

Cavy Slave
Well my thoughts on spouses aren't really for a new one. If pigs are a new addition to the family and it creates unforeseen strife, I wouldn't choose my pigs over my spouse. There's lots of things that can cause a problem. Allergies for example. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you don't do all you can to make it work out but I'm not losing a spouse for any animal. That's just my opinion though. I accept that others may differ.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I wasn't going to post anymore on the subject of rehoming, however, in reading many of these posts I believe my words were misunderstood. I certainly believe if you can no longer care for an animal it's best to rehome it. However, I know we've all seen the Craigslist ads that say "the kids no longer pay any attention to this pig and we don't have the time for it". Shouldn't getting a pet be a family decision and what is that teaching the kids, that it okay to get something and then once you tire of it, it's fine to just get rid of it and get something new. Something new which they will probably quickly lose interest in.

I realize this subject is particularly heartbreaking to me because I spent five years working at a county animal shelter and then I went into veterinary medicine. I've seen more than a fair share of people treating animals as disposable commodities. One situation that was appalling to me was of a client and her two dogs. This particular lady was bedridden for many years and her dogs were her constant companions. Near the end of her life she told me how her husband would be continuing to care for the dogs after her death. However, that was not to be. Four months after her death he brought both dogs in and told me his new girlfriend doesn't want the dogs around anymore. I asked him what he wanted us to do, his reply was I don't care, find them a new home or just put them to sleep, it makes no difference to me. I really wanted to ask him if this was how he was honoring his wife's memory by disposing of her beloved pets.

This situation and many others are why I get upset at the notion of people just getting rid of something when it's no longer fun or it becomes inconvenient to your lifestyle.

I have the greatest respect for people like [MENTION=13918]foggycreekcavy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION] and [MENTION=32203]Rodent[/MENTION] Cuddles. These wonderful people take in and care for, at their own expense, the abandoned piggies that people purchase on a whim.

I'm sorry if I upset anyone with my initial post. I certainly didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I just have such strong feelings on this subject. Although, let me add if it weren't for people rehoming their pigs, I wouldn't have my six wonderful girls.

[MENTION=17564]Kelsie[/MENTION], I haven't fostered guinea pigs in quite a few years. Occasionally, I do adoptions when someone in my area is looking to adopt nearer to their home. Mostly, I follow up on emails which is a lot easier than what others do when fostering.

I'm on the same page with you about people rehoming when it's no longer convenient. It happens more often than most people think. There's this idea out there that guinea pigs are starter pets and you work up from there. I've recently noticed a lot of ads for guinea pigs for adoption because kids are going back to school. The people who rehome seniors really bother me.....and I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. I do, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.