17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quick expanding and retractable cage

Hi

Everyone

Last time I posted I had downsized my c&c cage. I now found a great solution with the grids. Currently I put the mattress pads staight onto the floor then put the grids on top. I can expand or decrease the size of the cage within minutes if not seconds to accomodate the days changing needs. I range the cage from a 2x3 to a 2x6. The best thing about the floor set up is I can roll my hoover straight over the pads and it's clean for the whole day in just a few seconds.

Personally I found correx takes up too much space in the cage I was also resizing every second. So this is a cheap alternative for anyone in the same or similar situation. Pic attached.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140827_104528.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	68471

The cage seems so much bigger without the correx and all the pads tucked to the sides. It gives them maximum space and it's super changable. It's also easily transported anywhere.

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Re: Quick expanding and retractable cage

Will post more pics of the whole cage in it's smallest and biggest sizes

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Make sure you have a water proof layer under the mattress pad. Also, scrub out the Hoover once in awhile so it doesn't stink. I had a hand vac that got really smelly quickly. There were parts that I couldn't clean.

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Cage with run

Name:	20140828_102301.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	68498

Cage without run

Name:	20140827_130655.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	68499

The run gets attached every morning and then packed away each afternoon.
    The run is a 3x6 / 4x6
    Without the run it's a 3x2.

They have 2 hay racks 2 water bottles and 2 good bowls. The cage without the run is not a recent pic.
    It accomodates the daily changing needs.

5. "Thank you, Flowering, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Is it carpet under the cage? I was thinking about using a shower curtain as a liner and then putting uHaul pad and fleece down to make open floor play area. I was looking at gates to use but I like the idea of using the grids and connecting it to the main cage. Right now there in a Midwest cage with an added kitchen area. Rather than use the grids to build a new cage, I could make a large play area that I can easily remove when needed. Compare my idea to what you've done. Any suggestions to improve what I'm thinking? Should I get a couple slats of coroplast to put under so the floor is hard for them?

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blessedmom View Post
    Is it carpet under the cage? I was thinking about using a shower curtain as a liner and then putting uHaul pad and fleece down to make open floor play area. I was looking at gates to use but I like the idea of using the grids and connecting it to the main cage. Right now there in a Midwest cage with an added kitchen area. Rather than use the grids to build a new cage, I could make a large play area that I can easily remove when needed. Compare my idea to what you've done. Any suggestions to improve what I'm thinking? Should I get a couple slats of coroplast to put under so the floor is hard for them?
    I have just carpet and washable potty training matress pads. I found I didn't need any other layers ecause it has a waterproof backing. It's three layers in one. A top layer which wicks the middle layer absorbs and the bottom layer is waterproof. It holds up to 3 litres of liquid.

I don't think you will need the corroplast as it will be hard to storw away and is quite slippy. I think the cage idea with the play area is fantastic especially if you can't get away with a huge cage 24/7. You also have a handy sized cage which is portable. C&C cages with correx are timely to transport. You can also keep all the food hay etc in the cage so they can jump back in to eat this means practically no pee and poops in the play area making it super easy to just fold up pads for next time. Hope this helps

Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flowering View Post
    I have just carpet and washable potty training matress pads. I found I didn't need any other layers ecause it has a waterproof backing. It's three layers in one. A top layer which wicks the middle layer absorbs and the bottom layer is waterproof. It holds up to 3 litres of liquid.

I don't think you will need the corroplast as it will be hard to storw away and is quite slippy. I think the cage idea with the play area is fantastic especially if you can't get away with a huge cage 24/7. You also have a handy sized cage which is portable. C&C cages with correx are timely to transport. You can also keep all the food hay etc in the cage so they can jump back in to eat this means practically no pee and poops in the play area making it super easy to just fold up pads for next time. Hope this helps
    Where did you get your mattress pads? I have a small one I use for lap time but not a full mattress pad. Do you put fleece over your mattress pads? And how do you keep the panels up when using them so they come apart quickly? I figure you don't zip tie them all together. Just use the connectors that come with it?

Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

@Flowering - what kind of hay rack is that? My guys won't use the ones I've bought but yours look like they'd work. Also, what's in your boxes under the racks? More hay or litter?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

I absolutely LOVE that little pink polka dotted ball/house hanging thing in the middle in your last pic!! What is it? Where did you get it? Any chance it comes in blue? I have three boys

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,341 Rec'd/1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1005 Post(s)

Great idea about the cage.

Caution about that hay rack, it can cause death.
    http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/t...arning.116115/
    http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/vi...er=asc&start=0

Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lissie View Post
    Great idea about the cage.

Caution about that hay rack, it can cause death.
    http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/t...arning.116115/
    http://www.guinealynx.info/forums/vi...er=asc&start=0
    I started reading this link and am so glad I did. The lady that started it has a bad story but then far into the comments is someone posting about their piggie also dying from it and it just sounds horrific! So sad. I certainly won't be getting one now.

User Tag List