Thread: Brown stuff coming out my Guinea Pig's vagina?

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Brown stuff coming out my Guinea Pig's vagina?

So my guinea pig was sneezing and had discharge on her nose, so I took her to the vet last week and she was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection. Tomorrow is the last day of her medication, but today I noticed she had some brown stuff that kind of looks like poop on her vagina, and it also looked like she was pooping out of her vagina. I should also mention that it looks like she's been having some trouble going to the bathroom, but other than that she seems fine. She eats and drinks and is pretty alert and active. Does anyone know what this is? And do you think I should take her back to the vet after the medication is over with? Also, I won't be able to get her to the vet until Sunday, do you think she will be okay until then? Thank you to anyone who replies!

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    194 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    244 Rec'd/228 Posts

Re: Brown stuff coming out my Guinea Pig's vagina?

Does your pig have loose/irregular stools? Maybe that's why it looks like she has poop around that area. Also, is your vet an exotic pet vet? Dog and cat vets aren't trained to learn about pigs and they mis-diagnose them. You'll waste your time and money going to them. @bpatters or @foggycreekcavy have better knowledge on health than I do and they might be able to help.
    Hope your pig gets well soon!

Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,563 Rec'd/6,045 Posts

What do you mean by "some trouble going to the bathroom?" Is she not pooping? Or she poops and makes noise? Or the poop is too soft? Clumpy? Has diarrhea?

Guinea pigs are not usually constipated, and if she's not pooping, there's probably something wrong further up in the intestinal tract. If she's squeaking and hunching up while pooping, she may have a urinary tract stone.

Antibiotics can cause intestinal disturbances, including loose stools and diarrhea. If things clear up tonight and tomorrow, her problem may be the antibiotics. If not, she may need to go back to the vet.

In general, it's not safe to wait 4-5 days to take a sick guinea pig to the vet. They are prey animals, and they hide illnesses very well. By the time you realize something is wrong, they may be seriously ill. If you've got a sick guinea pig, you want to get it to the vet that day or the next, if at all possible.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

She hunches up when she's pooping, but she doesn't make any noise, also it doesn't seem like anything is coming out. And when she does poop it seems kind of soft.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

I'm not sure because this just started happening today and I don't think so, I'll look up some tonight near where I live. And thank you! I hope she does too.

Mentioned
    2123 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4124 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7,563 Rec'd/6,045 Posts

If she's just finishing a course of antibiotics, and the problems with the poop just started today, the antibiotics may be responsible. Restrict her vegetables for 24 hours, feeding her only hay and pellets, and watch carefully to see if things improve. If not, you need to get her to a vet.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Okay, will do, thank you!

User Tag List