Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

No veggies....

So neither of my girls will eat veggies. Any veggies. I have tried carrots, green and red bell peppers, different types of lettuce, cherry tomatoes, parsley, and oranges. They love their pellets and hay. And to get them vitamin C, I give them my vet recommended Oxbow vitamin C tablets. That's all they will eat. Any suggestions?

Random pic of my girls snuggling in their new fleece forest. I want them healthy and happy like this always. But I'm worried they aren't getting the right vitamins.

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

No veggies....

Here's something you can try: pick one type of vegetable, I would go with green bell pepper since it's the most important for their diet, and mince it up into tiny little pieces. Then mix it in with their pellets so they can't avoid getting a taste of it. Once they realize that it's yummy food, they might be more willing to try it. After they start accepting that type of veggie, move on to a new one to try. I would do lettuce next. Eventually they might become more open to trying new things.

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Re: No veggies....

That's a great idea. Thank you

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Just to clarify, when @pigger123 says tiny little pieces, we don't just mean tiny, we mean a pencil eraser in like 12 pieces. Basically small enough that they won't know they're going to eat them. Carry on sneaking it in for a few days then just go up in size from there.

With some pigs, it's not the veggie it's self, it's the cut. For example, my girls wouldn't touch carrot until I decided to give them shreds of it by peeling it instead of chopping it. After a few days of that, a huge chunk of carrot is their favourite veg. You can also try tiny matchstick slivers of things too.

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/10 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

I can do that. I tried a few different cuts of something's but never mixed in with their food. I'll go out shopping tomorrow and get a pepper and give it a shot

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I would use kale. Don't hand feed them. Just leave it in the cage and leave them to it. Make sure the kale is not too cold or too warm.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

@Flowering kale is a veggie that should be fed very sparingly so introducing them to it/getting them to like it isn't very important, it's more important to get them to eat their staple veggies like bell pepper and lettuce.

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    @Flowering kale is a veggie that should be fed very sparingly so introducing them to it/getting them to like it isn't very important, it's more important to get them to eat their staple veggies like bell pepper and lettuce.
    Thanks for the tip

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hello. Usually red or green pepper is their favourite snack. But i found one that drives them crazy: green Celery (apio in spanish).

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

My pigs love lettuce more tharen anything and I have one pig who never ears veggies and I'm Struggling to get him to eat them and I have got him to eat lettuce, he also has started to nibble on the edges of veg if I leave it in the cage.

Thanks
    Thanks
    11 Rec'd/11 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I have a 7 wk old who won't eat any veggie, no matter how tiny I mince it, chop it, leave in a chunk. Nothing. Very frustrating. Our last guinea pig only took 2-3 days before he'd eat veggies. He'll eat tons of hay and will eat pellets, and that is all. I'm hoping his new buddy will be able to come home this weekend, and maybe I'll get lucky and the new boy will be a veggie eater and Fireball will follow suit.

Thanks
    Thanks
    43 Rec'd/23 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)

You know, I had the very same trouble with my very first girls when I got them. I knew nothing about guinea pigs and just assumed it was something I was doing wrong or that they were uncomfortable in their new environment or with new routines. I did know they were supposed to eat veggies though, even if they missed that step in guinea pig training so I continued to serve them a little salad every morning and every evening, removing the old veggies and composting them. Albeit, I wasted a lot of veggies but I was convinced it was my fault and if I stopped giving them the veggies then I would be doing them disservice. Eventually, I just won by attrition and there were nibbles on some lettuce then they would eat everything but bell peppers then they would clean their dish and now the question, "What time is it?" Brings squeals of delight and anticipation and their favorite words are "breakfast time, dinner time, and treats.". I still have to do the same thing with every new veggie I introduce, zucchini took months, however the more pigs in our herd the more they eat. I think they start to focus less on what they're eating and more on who might get it before they do. I swear they'd fight over cardboard if I pretended to just be giving it to one of them.

Our new boy Roscoe has been a new challenge because he isn't safe to live with the girls yet after his neuter and has a few weeks to go and seems to hate everything except the wheatgrass i grow for my pigs. But again, I give him his vitamin C powder on the things that he will eat and quietly wage my war of attrition. I know he will broaden his diet when he meets the girls and he hears their squeals of delight at " breakfast time" and "dinner time" So I am confident that he will eventually get the memo that guinea pigs like veggies.

User Tag List