Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Mexico & South America Crossing the border with piggies and other ?s

vegantreegirl

Cavy Slave
Hi all. I hope you're doing well. I am an American and have many pets including two guinea pigs that I rescued from my local shelter. I've had them for about a year and had two older piggies before that who have since passed. Even though I am American my husband is a Mexican citizen and we are considering moving "south of the border." I will never move and not take my pets with me as they are part of the family. I was wondering if anyone has moved or travelled with their guinea pigs. Is it stressful? Do you need a lot of paperwork? Is it very difficult to find supplies for guinea pigs in Mexico? We'll be taking their cage with us and a big bag of food. I already read that you can't bring hay or shavings across the border, but I don't think those will be hard to find once we get there. I'm more worried about finding any pellets, especially good quality ones. They currently eat Oxbow. Our plan is to drive across in an rv so that we can have a/c for the animals. Any other advice you can think of is helpful thanks. We won't be moving for at least a year, just trying to get everything settled first.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
You need to contact the Mexican embassy where you are and ask them where to find the recommendations/laws for taking animals into Mexico. Even if someone here has done it, the regulations may have changed, and pleading ignorance of the changes if you get caught breaking the rules won't help your pigs.

labgirl5

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure about the border laws, but if you can't find appropriate pellets it wouldn't be that huge of a deal to go pelletless as long as they get unlimited timothy hay like always and vitamin-c rich vegetables.

vegantreegirl

Cavy Slave
You need to contact the Mexican embassy where you are and ask them where to find the recommendations/laws for taking animals into Mexico. Even if someone here has done it, the regulations may have changed, and pleading ignorance of the changes if you get caught breaking the rules won't help your pigs.
We are planning on doing that. I'm definitely not naïve enough to sneak my piggies across the border. Not sure if that's what you're implying, but it kind of sounded like it. Just looking for personal experiences with travelling and really wondering about the supply situation too. Thanks all.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I wasn't implying anything at all. I was just saying that the rules might have changed since anyone on here has taken a pig to Mexico (in the five years I've been on here, no one has asked that question). The border police certainly wouldn't be impressed by the fact that you got your information about transporting an animal into their country from a guinea pig forum! You need to get the up-to-date rules from the horse's mouth rather than relying on someone else's experience.

vegantreegirl

Cavy Slave
I guess I didn't word my question correctly. I'm sorry for the confusion. Examples of what I'm looking for are like: "I moved cross country with my pigs and it went just fine!" Or "I moved to a different country with my piggies and it was a total disaster! Here's what I would to differently." etc Not really the laws or regulations.

vegantreegirl

Cavy Slave
Good info so far. Thanks. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.