Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Crossing the border with piggies and other ?s

Hi all. I hope you're doing well. I am an American and have many pets including two guinea pigs that I rescued from my local shelter. I've had them for about a year and had two older piggies before that who have since passed. Even though I am American my husband is a Mexican citizen and we are considering moving "south of the border." I will never move and not take my pets with me as they are part of the family. I was wondering if anyone has moved or travelled with their guinea pigs. Is it stressful? Do you need a lot of paperwork? Is it very difficult to find supplies for guinea pigs in Mexico? We'll be taking their cage with us and a big bag of food. I already read that you can't bring hay or shavings across the border, but I don't think those will be hard to find once we get there. I'm more worried about finding any pellets, especially good quality ones. They currently eat Oxbow. Our plan is to drive across in an rv so that we can have a/c for the animals. Any other advice you can think of is helpful thanks. We won't be moving for at least a year, just trying to get everything settled first.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,059 Rec'd/5,606 Posts
    Mentioned
    1985 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3650 Post(s)

Re: Crossing the border with piggies and other ?s

You need to contact the Mexican embassy where you are and ask them where to find the recommendations/laws for taking animals into Mexico. Even if someone here has done it, the regulations may have changed, and pleading ignorance of the changes if you get caught breaking the rules won't help your pigs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/68 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)

I'm not sure about the border laws, but if you can't find appropriate pellets it wouldn't be that huge of a deal to go pelletless as long as they get unlimited timothy hay like always and vitamin-c rich vegetables.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpatters View Post
    You need to contact the Mexican embassy where you are and ask them where to find the recommendations/laws for taking animals into Mexico. Even if someone here has done it, the regulations may have changed, and pleading ignorance of the changes if you get caught breaking the rules won't help your pigs.
    We are planning on doing that. I'm definitely not naïve enough to sneak my piggies across the border. Not sure if that's what you're implying, but it kind of sounded like it. Just looking for personal experiences with travelling and really wondering about the supply situation too. Thanks all.

Thanks
    Thanks
    7,059 Rec'd/5,606 Posts
    Mentioned
    1985 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3650 Post(s)

I wasn't implying anything at all. I was just saying that the rules might have changed since anyone on here has taken a pig to Mexico (in the five years I've been on here, no one has asked that question). The border police certainly wouldn't be impressed by the fact that you got your information about transporting an animal into their country from a guinea pig forum! You need to get the up-to-date rules from the horse's mouth rather than relying on someone else's experience.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I guess I didn't word my question correctly. I'm sorry for the confusion. Examples of what I'm looking for are like: "I moved cross country with my pigs and it went just fine!" Or "I moved to a different country with my piggies and it was a total disaster! Here's what I would to differently." etc Not really the laws or regulations.

Thanks
    Thanks
    652 Rec'd/560 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    342 Post(s)

I know it's not the same as moving across a US border, but I moved with my two guinea pigs from Las Vegas to Seattle, WA. Everything went fine during the travel. We took our time and stopped frequently. I made a small travel pen out of the C&C cubes and when we stopped for the night at a motel I just set it up for the pigs. I used two flannel tablecloths with plastic liners and a sheet for the bottom to protect the carpeting. I was concerned about my pigs getting water and their veggies while traveling but that was really not a big problem. When we made a stop I would offer the pigs some water and then give them a little snack of the veggies that I made somewhat wet with the water. When we stopped each evening at the motel then I would feed them their regular meal. In the morning I fed them again before we left the motel. I made sure they had constant hay in their travel cages and I also put a large amount of hay in their cage during each night.

I won't say my pigs loved the trip but they did fine. No one got sick or overly stressed. They cuddled together during the drive and seemed to take comfort from being together. Once we got settled into our new home they quickly forgot about the trip and everything went back to normal for them.

Traveling in an RV is going to be so much easier for you. We had a van but I think if I was going to do a move like that again (hopefully not) I would rent an RV for the move. I had a friend who moved her many pets that way and she said made it much nicer for everyone.

Good luck with your move. I'm sure your piggies will do absolutely fine.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

To the best of my knowledge, there is no problem with taking cavies into Mexico. In fact, there "may" be no problem with bringing them back. They aren't like cats or dogs who must have all their shots and verification of same up to date. Cavies don't require innoculations as other creatures do.

That being said, however, I absolutely agree that you should contact the Mexican embassy to be sure. I strongly suspect that you can find the information online.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,475 Rec'd/1,211 Posts
    Mentioned
    559 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1092 Post(s)

With just a quick search, I found the following website (I've used it before) that has good information:

http://www.focusonmexico.com/Importi...to_Mexico.html

In looking at another website, it appears that you may need a health certificate from a Vet within 5 days of crossing into Mexico. That means that you need to plan out your trip and have an appointment with a vet located in or near a border town.......if that information is correct.

You didn't ask this, but Frontier Airlines is the only domestic airline I know of that permits guinea pigs to be carried in the cabin, but NOT on international flights.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1 Rec'd/1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Good info so far. Thanks. :)

User Tag List