Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

I'm in love with washable bed pads

Hi everyone

I ordered these bed pads

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00E...ilpage_o00_s00

I got them from amazon but im sure you can use them anywhere. They have a stay dry top layer which wicks water away to the second layer and the third layer is waterproof. So no need for liners or fleece.

Just thought I would share for anyone struggling with fleece. These smell so fresh they stay bone dry and are soo cheap!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,588 Rec'd/1,304 Posts
    Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)

Re: I'm in love with washable bed pads

Any way you can repost the link? The one you listed goes to a HTML (or similar) format. I won't be ordering from the UK, but am curious to see how they compare to the ones I use. Thanks!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

@spy9doc, if you have/create an amazon wishlist and add the item to the wishlist from the HTML page, then open a new Amazon page in none HTML, and click on the item in the wishlist, it shows properly

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,588 Rec'd/1,304 Posts
    Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)

I followed your instructions, but it still won't load for me. Also, I'm being asked for my Amazon UK name and PW......which I suspect that you aren't being asked to do. A new link would be very helpful.

Never mind........thank you. I searched for Coastal Linen Supplies Ltd in my browser and it brought up the company so that I could browse.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner janinehunt's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

These sound good. Could they be used under fleece, so you don't have the look of bed pad? Or would the double wicking layers not work? Are these similar to yours @spy9doc, and how do you use yours?

My new piggy does not use the litter box, and now my "old" piggy has stopped using it, and I'm noticing urine odour, so was thinking of making some absorbent pads for high traffic areas that I could change daily, but that have a waterproof layer to prevent the main fleece bedding from stinking after a few days. Gotta work on getting those girls to use the litter tray!

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,588 Rec'd/1,304 Posts
    Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by janinehunt View Post
    These sound good. Could they be used under fleece, so you don't have the look of bed pad? Or would the double wicking layers not work? Are these similar to yours @spy9doc, and how do you use yours?
    They appear to be quite similar to the ones I use:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002DMPFS/ref=biss_dp_t_asn (34" x 36")
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003QSDFL4 (35" x 80")

I make my own fleece liners with one layer of uHaul encased in fleece. I use the incontinence pads under the fleece to protect the Coro. I formerly used disposable puppy pads, but prefer the incontinence pads to avoid adding to the landfill problems. They pay for themselves in being reusable, long-lasting, and able to be bleached and dried in the drier.

As you may recall, I sew and cut the pads to fit the cage. The trick is to sew BEFORE cutting the pad. I just do an overlock-type stitch and cut close to the stitching. My cage is 2x5 with a 2x2 loft and one of the 35" x 80" pads nicely covers the main level, while a 34" x 36" is adequate to make a pad for the loft/upper level. Because my liners are two years old, they are getting thin (uHaul layer wearing out) and urine sometimes finds its way to the underpads.

I highly recommend making small pads (I call them "throw rugs") for the highly soiled areas......to be changed more frequently than the weekly full cage cleaning. I have no experience with making the pads with a waterproof layer, but think it is definitely something to consider. I make my pads just like the liners and they never soak through to the liner.

Ask away if you have more questions.

Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Thanks for the info @spy9doc and @Flowering! These sound good, and i think I might give them a try, probably sewing some fleece on top. I'm looking at these, which are the same brand, but for a double bed: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00EO39NJ...I2G7DOYLJ30FFM . Shame about the postage to France!
    @spy9doc, I have a serger, so can overlock the edges as I cut them to the size I want. Do you sew before cutting to prevent the edges and layers from unravelling or stretching apart, etc?

This is a great idea for my new non-litter tray users! Last night, in an effort to encourage litter tray usage, I moved the tray to an area they had been pooping a lot, and Bubbles, bless her little heart, went into the corner where the litter tray had been, and unleashed a pile of poop on the connector! She loves pooping on the connectors! (I don't have coroplast sides, just on the base.)

Thanks very much, and bon dimanche! Off to clean my smelly cage!

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Hi guys is the link a bad link still? Yes these are UK but I'm sure you can get them on Amazon.com
    I just wanted to add that I use mine without fleeve because they wick away wetness straight away and stay dry. They can take up to 3 liters of liquid until they need to be changed so more than enough absorbency. Also the hay is easy to brush off too.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,588 Rec'd/1,304 Posts
    Mentioned
    604 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)

@spy9doc, I have a serger, so can overlock the edges as I cut them to the size I want. Do you sew before cutting to prevent the edges and layers from unravelling or stretching apart, etc?
    Yes, that's precisely the reason. Try it both ways, but I think sewing before cutting is much easier.

Pooping on the connectors?? One of Chester's "guilty pleasures" is to poop in the corner (where the litter box isn't) and I'll swear he aims for the corner and the wall. He only seems to do this for his first major poop of the morning, rarely other times. Like you, no matter if I move the litter box.......he'll use the other corner. Today is major cage clean for me as well.

Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spy9doc View Post
    Yes, that's precisely the reason. Try it both ways, but I think sewing before cutting is much easier.

Pooping on the connectors?? One of Chester's "guilty pleasures" is to poop in the corner (where the litter box isn't) and I'll swear he aims for the corner and the wall. He only seems to do this for his first major poop of the morning, rarely other times. Like you, no matter if I move the litter box.......he'll use the other corner. Today is major cage clean for me as well.
    Thanks @spy9doc! They are funny critters, aren't they! I decided to get smart, and made a nice cushy litter box with a fleece liner, and (after the cage clean) Bubbles went straight in and did her business! I'm hoping that she'll get used to it, and then I can change it from fleece to litter.

However, I have just bought the double version of the bed pads recommended here. They are a pale green, so dependent upon their look, I may not sew fleece to them at all. I'll have to cut them up though as I only want to cover certain areas. I'll let you know how we get on!

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Here is a pic of mine they are quite big but I like the fact it's big!

These pads can fit a 2x5 cage
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140815_110644.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	68074

12. "Thank you, Flowering, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

You can get these pads in pink or other colours depending on taste

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

The best thing about these pads is that there is no need to pre-wash or worry about wicking and sewing waterproof layers etc. It's just one pad and it lasts for days on end. I actually got a bot board with nothing to change . Please note I currently have a kitchen area/tray also so makes everything last twice as long

Thanks
    Thanks
    276 Rec'd/139 Posts
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)

Thanks for the pic @Flowering! It does sound nice and easy to use them like that. It looks good with the pink fleece. Thanks for the recommendation!

Thanks
    Thanks
    17 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

Thanks for the pic @Flowering! It does sound nice and easy to use them like that. It looks good with the pink fleece. Thanks for the recommendation!
    Aww your welcome. Just glad to help others xx

User Tag List