Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Popcorning We've got a biter ..

hallister

Cavy Slave
So recently, as my Pig Sebastian becomes more comfortable with me, he has began nibbling. Not HARD but not very gentle, say as if test biting either. He is very sweet, and trusts me very much. He wont run and hide like my new Pig Archie when I enter the room. He will wheek when he hears me come down the stairs and wheeks for attention or food when he sees me. He loves being pet and scratched, and will lay down and stretch his body out when I pet him and purr like mad. He also has become comfortable enough that I have caught him napping, and even sleeping with his eyes shut. I have had him since July 11th, and he will be three months on the 20th (his given birthday by me is June 20th, since who knows when it actually is). But whenever I hold him, or put my hand in yhe age he will bite it like he wants to eat it, lol. My other pig Archie, bites as well. But he is younger than Sebastian, and I also discovered his foot is injured (a cage mage wound by the looks of it, since he is smaller and definatly not an alpha male) from his previous home, so I have stopped handling him till it heals. Sebastian has only ever bitten one other person apart from me, who was handeling him wrong. He has been handled by children (under supervison) and didnt bite. It does not appear aggressive at all, but it has scared me into holding him with a peice of fleece since I know Guinea Pigs dont usually bite and I want to find out if it can/will turn aggressive.

Sebastian is not unhealthy, and is not living in poor condtions where he or Archie could be bored, or have no toys, hay, ect.

Thanks in advance.

(didnt mean to list in Popcorning, was meant to be put under Biting but I am on my cell and must have miss-clicked!)

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'd treat both of them for mites. Mites cause a lot of discomfort so that might explain the biting. When they purr a lot, it's their way of saying they're annoyed. Either he doesn't like the way or where you're petting him or mites are making it painful when he's pet. Always pet from the direction of head to back. They don't like their fur pushed backwards and don't like their back end rubbed or pet.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
He could be giving you "kisses", Ferb used to use his teeth but now he knows to just lick (sometimes he forgets). Also, there's a fine line between purring (happy) and durrring (stay away/ stop). In my piggies the durrring is a lower pitch. If he's pancaking and not trying to get away it sounds like he likes being petted. Also, make sure your hands don't smell like food, he might think your hand is his veggies.

daisy1cow

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Well if it helps any, I have both. My Chicken is the sweetest boy ever. Comes to me, lets me pick him up, have had him sleep on my lap with his eyes closed as well. Sometimes he nibbles. If I have him high up on my chest, he has nibbled my nose and lip, nothing hard, just seeing if im yummy I guess. Hes a silly boy and I know he is just curious with no harm intended.
Huckleberry on the other hand is a turkey. He is 3 months next week and doesn't like to be held much and will bite, its hard and I think he means business. I only hold him for about 10-15 in a towel to get him better at being handled but as I go to put him back in the cage, he will bite my finger tips. His mom does it as well, but the other 3 are good and lick and nibble sometimes. Not much help am I?

jayval

Cavy Slave
Thats why I never held my Twix often, cause when he was a baby he bit me hard and being a first time owner I was always scared....We had such a close bond though...Thats why when I adopt next month Im going to be sure to handle the pig plenty, and make sure he /she is a little bit more of a lap pig...

hallister

Cavy Slave
He is not durring, he is purring. He is comfortable. I will treat them though, just incase they do have mites. Is there a way to do this at home? [MENTION=15081]pinky[/MENTION]

I have never heard someone call it "pancaking" lol so cute! But yes, he pancakes and stays still and purrs, and has this content look on his face. I have heard that they will bite as pups and once they mature they grow out of it, is this true? I always wash my hands before and after handeling. Some times he will just lick, but usually nibbles.

Guinepig

Cavy Slave
You can use ivermectin. That's what I used to treat my guinea pigs mites.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.