Thread: Any Tips For Long Road Trip With Guinea Pigs?

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Any Tips For Long Road Trip With Guinea Pigs?

Any tips for a long road trip with two guinea pigs?

I will be making the drive from California to Colorado (17 hours in 3 days, so around 6 hours a day). My pigs made this drive with me three months ago and did well (I think?). But I was just wondering if anyone had any tips from previous experiences with road trips!

I couldn't use a pet sitter since I was moving homes both times. This should be the last time they will go on a long road trip for at least a year.

The first time they were in a small cat carrier, with a large bath towel folded up on the bottom then newspaper below that. Every time I stopped for gas or food (around two hours) I offered them veggies (peppers, carrots, cucumbers) that I kept cold in a cooler. I taped their water bottle to the carrier for the whole ride. When we got to the hotel/rest stop for the night, I set them up in a cage (not as big as their normal cage but still big enough) with newspapers, one pigloo, water bottle, full bowl of pellets, and timothy hay. Each day they had around 12 hours to rest in between car rides. They were in my second row of seats, and their carrier was secured by a seat belt and other boxes around them.

Any other tips?

I don't think the ride was too stressful since they had each other, when they settled in for the night or when we made it home they acted normal and kept on eating/drinking/pooping/peeing like normal.

Thank you!!!

Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/5 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Re: Any Tips For Long Road Trip With Guinea Pigs?

I don't have much experience with moving piggies long distance, but I will be watching this thread. My sister (with hubby, kids, dog, piggies, etc) will be moving several hours to MA fairly soon and recently asked me about moving tips. From my limited experience, though, it sounds like you have a good setup. I would basically try to keep things as consistent as possible, and maybe take some beds or blankets from their old cage so they can still smell home.

Thanks
    Thanks
    79 Rec'd/56 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    53 Post(s)

I just recently got home from a road trip with my boys and everything went well. My friend couldn't feed them and clean out poop while I was gone as planned and there was no one else I trusted to be sure they showed up twice a day. It was last minute but I made it work.
    I kept my two boys in a large clear plastic tub (it's kinda like a large file box) that I use as a temp cage when I'm cleaning or transporting around the house for floor time. I secured it in the back with my daughter and enjoyed having the open top for easy access to pet them and feed them. It was also big enough for a hut/igloo that they could cuddle in.
    At the hotel we covered the hard floor in our kitchen area (travel tip- always stay at a residence inn/homewood suites type hotel even if only a night or two because its a huge apartment like room with separate bedroom and kitchen and is often affordable and has breakfast and often evening meal included, great for families!!) with u haul blankets and fleece and made a large area cage area to allow lots of room to play.
    They always had hay and pellets and water in the car and hotel plus veggies in the AM and PM like normal (cooler with ice in the car).
    They did great. In fact, we really bonded during this. I found myself holding them for extra lap time as much as possible at the hotel and petting them in the cage to provide extra comfort. I also got to show them off to my parents who thought it was neat that I had them with me.
    I would say to be sure to bring extra fleece and u haul blankets as well as a bag to keep soiled ones in. Be sure to secure the water bottle (we had a leak at one point) and add an extra towel under it for dripping.
    Plan to eat in the car because they can't be left alone in the vehicle, but I'm sure that's a given. We had to take turns running in for potty breaks.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    846 Rec'd/680 Posts
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    380 Post(s)

Sounds like you had it pretty much covered. I have made several similarly long trips with my pigs, and did very similar things to what you did. I kept my boys in separate carriers since one gets snappy in too close of quarters, though. When I had to stop for food, I would either eat in the car or I would ask a sit-down place if I could bring in the pigs in carriers. They've never had a problem with it, and I kept the carriers under the table the whole time.

User Tag List