Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Infection Is my pigs cut infected? Picture included

• Thread starter Jennifer Potash
  • Start date

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
About a week or two ago, my pig Tessa got bit by my other pig. I noticed today that it looks pretty weird, the picture doesn't show but it looks like it's scabbing and kind of green... Is it infected? Thank you tessa baby cut.jpg

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
Also**** if it is infected, what should I do?

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave
It's difficult to tell from the photo, but bite wounds can abscess and become infected because they can go deep into the skin. You would need to go to the vet who can clean out the wound and give you the required antibiotics and pain medication to prevent further infection. The vet may also instruct you about cleaning and flushing the wound, if necessary. But I, personally, would go to the vet, especially if it looks "green" or is pus-like.

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
It's difficult to tell from the photo, but bite wounds can abscess and become infected because they can go deep into the skin. You would need to go to the vet who can clean out the wound and give you the required antibiotics and pain medication to prevent further infection. The vet may also instruct you about cleaning and flushing the wound, if necessary. But I, personally, would go to the vet, especially if it looks "green" or is pus-like.
I cleaned it out again myself and now it isn't green anymore it just looks like a scab. Do you know how much it would cost?

Princess_Piggie

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner
Cavy Slave
Vet costs vary from state to state, and even city to city. I think if you're at a point where she's not only missing hair, but it's also clearly producing pus of some kind, she needs to see a vet. Did you witness the bite? Because honestly to me that looks potentially fungal, but either way a vet visit's in order IMO.

Party Guineas

Cavy Slave
It is possible for it to just look like a scab on the outside, even though there may be pus building up underneath. From what you're saying and the fact that it was green, it sounds like it has an infection building in the cut. Going to the vet is important, as an antibiotic will help her heal. I don't know how much a vet check costs in your area, as I live in the UK, but if you go to an exotics vet (one familiar with guinea pigs, not just your typical dog/cat vet), for something like this, it would cost you the normal vet fee plus a bit extra for antibiotics - I would assume they would give something like Septrin/Baytril (depending on the age of the guinea pig) as an antibiotic and perhaps Metacam for the pain (these are the UK names, they have similar names in the US, I believe). Again, it's hard to tell without seeing it in person, but I would highly suggest going to the vet, as there are signs of infection.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That looks bad to me, I recommend that you take her to an exotics vet. There can be an infection under the scab that spreads internally.

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
That looks bad to me, I recommend that you take her to an exotics vet. There can be an infection under the scab that spreads internally.
Do you know how much that'll be?

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
If anyone can find me a vet too that'll be great. I live in Hollywood, Florida 33023

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
My pig had an infected bite on her face. Vet visit (my normal dog/cat vet , long story) cost me $49 and the meds (Baytril tablets) for one week were $18. And I had her on it for 2 weeks for in total it cost me $71. I ended up grinding up the tablets and adding water and syringe feeding it to my pig.

You will need a pro-biotic as well. Whether it be Bene-Bac (found at farm stores) or something easily found at your grocery store/target/pharmacy. I used Acidophilus capsules and put the powder on some veggies. You'll also want a Saline or Betadine or both to clean the wound with. It's gross but you'll have to keep the scab off to do any good. I flushed my pigs wound twice a day. Being on the nose you will have a harder time, you won't want to get anything in their nose.

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
My pig had an infected bite on her face. Vet visit (my normal dog/cat vet , long story) cost me $49 and the meds (Baytril tablets) for one week were $18. And I had her on it for 2 weeks for in total it cost me $71. I ended up grinding up the tablets and adding water and syringe feeding it to my pig.

You will need a pro-biotic as well. Whether it be Bene-Bac (found at farm stores) or something easily found at your grocery store/target/pharmacy. I used Acidophilus capsules and put the powder on some veggies. You'll also want a Saline or Betadine or both to clean the wound with. It's gross but you'll have to keep the scab off to do any good. I flushed my pigs wound twice a day. Being on the nose you will have a harder time, you won't want to get anything in their nose.
Do you think you can find me a vet? I live in hollywood, florida 33023. Uggggh. How long should I wait to take her?

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Do you think you can find me a vet? I live in hollywood, florida 33023. Uggggh. How long should I wait to take her?

I could try to help. But I would take her ASAP. Like the earliest appointment possible. You'll want an exotics vet. I only took her to my normal vet because I shadow there and know they had the meds I wanted and knew they weren't gonna push me with wrong info.

PrincessAngel

Cavy Slave
Last edited:

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Unless there's actually pus or there's a lump or it smells, I'd just keep it clean. The green stuff looks to me like she just got it dirty--it doesn't look like pus to me.

You can use a wet warm cloth to gently loosen the scab to see if there's any pus.

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
Unless there's actually pus or there's a lump or it smells, I'd just keep it clean. The green stuff looks to me like she just got it dirty--it doesn't look like pus to me.

You can use a wet warm cloth to gently loosen the scab to see if there's any pus.
Do you mind if I show you pictures? I'll do it right now if you're available to help. Thank you so much.

foggycreekcavy

Cavy Gazer
Sure. Go ahead and post them.

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
Sure. Go ahead and post them.
uploadfromtaptalk1407467609671.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407467619437.jpg
It doesn't look/feel bumpy to me. There is no green stuff anymore, now that I think about it, it could've been the food I was giving them bc it went right off this morning when I cleaned it. No puss, either. If you can reference me a picture of a scab that has puss/bumpy that'll be better. Thank you so much

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
The brown is just a scar, no puss

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
Sorry, I meant scab

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.