Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Introducing piggies but one does not like the other

When I got my younger piggy, we did the quarantine thing as instructed and then introduced her to my older piggy who is also a female. We started out with the younger one just sniffing at her from her cage and then we let them run together in a wide open space. But for some reason my older piggy doesn't want anything to do with the younger one and even to this day they still live in separate cages but they are able to see each other when we let them out and their cages sit beside each other but the older one still doesn't want anything to do with the younger one. I heard how they need a companion but why doesn't my older pig like the younger one?

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Re: Introducing piggies but one does not like the other

Just because they aren't cuddling and playing doesn't mean they dislike each other. Even just tolerating each other means they have a companion, you should reintroduce them and hope they're still happy to peacefully ignore each other. It's only time to separate if one draws blood. Some guinea pigs will never cuddle with another pig, but they still need the company of another pig so they can communicate, and maybe even bond the longer they live together.

Allowing them to play together but not live together is only detrimental to them, as social herd animals they need to establish a dominance hierarchy, so every time they meet, they attempt to do this, and the more times you introduce and separate, the more confusing and stressful it is for them, which in turn will only make it harder to reintroduce them the next time.

You need to put them in a large open space with no were to hide, just piles of hay and vegetables dotted around, and leave them in there for at least a few hours. Thwy might chase, nip, mount and squeal at each other, but don't intervene unless blood is drawn or they turn in to a fighting and flying ball of fur. After a few hours, if they're still just peacefully ignoring each other, then put them in a cage no smaller than 9 square feet, and make sure all hiding areas have more than one entrance/exit.

3. "Thank you, Princess_Piggie, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

You're right but I still try to do this and they still ignore each other generally. I heard not all guinea pigs are social and mine are like that. Mine are perfectly healthy and all but I tried everything with them and still they don't like each other. I hate being put down just because of the way my pigs act.

Thanks
    Thanks
    587 Rec'd/396 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quoted
    293 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Yelton View Post
    You're right but I still try to do this and they still ignore each other generally. I heard not all guinea pigs are social and mine are like that. Mine are perfectly healthy and all but I tried everything with them and still they don't like each other. I hate being put down just because of the way my pigs act.
    I introduced a third girl to my pair this spring, and they really weren't fond of each other during the first couple of months.
    Today (when I'm lucky) I may even sneak a peek at them grooming each other. What's the point of me telling you this?

The pigs don't have to be best buds to benefit from a mate of their own species as it provides social stimulation in a way no human can replace. They will have someone to communicate with, steal food from, argue with, and perhaps at some point be friends with. Think of them as siblings! Just because they ignore each other the majority of the time doesn't mean they don't actually like having the other one around when it counts.

Do make sure you have a cage large enough for them to get along though, as most pet store cages aren't.

6. "Thank you, HannibalLecter, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Thanks
    Thanks
    7 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

I think they just need time...I'm a lil worries myself since we recently got another piggy to introduce to our piggy Timón his been with us for a month so we decided what was best for him, to get him a lil companion..the new piggy is still a baby his in quarantine for now... Just give them time it's all they need...

Thanks
    Thanks
    98 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

I hate being put down just because of the way my pigs act.
    What do you mean by this? I don't think anyone was insulting you because of your pigs. I think the main point @Princess_Piggie was making is that "ignoring" doesn't mean "not liking." There is no reason to have them separated because they ignore each other, just if one attacks the other to the point of drawing blood. Is there fighting? Or just indifference?

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

They'll chase each other every now and then when I let them out but they don't live in the same pen together. My older piggy has been this way every since the younger one first came along. They have good living spaces and are healthy but I'm tired of hearing all this crap that they need. Mine are healthy like I said but my family cannot afford what you guys have for your pigs. Just putting that out there

Thanks
    Thanks
    48 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

You posted this thread for what seemed like advice. I don't think anyone was trying to put you down. They only wanted to help. What size are the cages they are currently in? Could you maybe put them together to make one large cage? As long as your pigs don't draw blood on one another it is better for them to live together.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

I honestly was not trying to put you down, and I'm sorry if it came across like that. What I meant to say was more that you're actually fairly lucky, when pigs take a real dislike to each other it can turn in to a loud, flying ball of fur fight, as opposed to...indifference? Which is what it sounds like your pigs are feeling. Regardless of whether they ignore each other, or fall blissfully in piggy love and cuddle constantly, or have little bickers where they chase and mount, you should house them together, because all of that equates to some kind of stimulation, which is at the end of the day what they need.

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

I think everyone gave you some pretty good advice. Some guinea pigs are just not cuddlers. My boys will cuddle once in awhile. But then they have those moments when they want to be alone. Guinea pigs can be bonded in many different ways. Maybe your pigs aren't interested in cuddling but that doesn't mean they don't want or need company. They are herd animals and need company of their own kind. Please don't take anything people say here the wrong way. Its really hard to express feelings over the internet. This isn't a forum where people sugar coat things it just isn't effective.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I understand you guys are trying to help but I was trying to say that no matter what I do, Mine still refuse to get along. I put them together a couple of times and well, they literally started to fight and as for a bigger cage, my family and I cannot afford to buy one. They live in separate pens that sit next to each other so they can see each other but like I said, they don't get along.

Thanks
    Thanks
    98 Rec'd/58 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)

I guess I'm a bit confused about what kind of info you are looking for from us. If you are still looking for an answer to your original question about why they don't get along, I think a few things might help. First, maybe you could give a more detailed explanation of what the fighting looks like? Also, maybe give more info about how you have tried to introduce them? Based on what you have said so far, it sounds like they just haven't had a chance to work out dominance issues. However, maybe we are missing something. Also, would you be able to connect their pens if they got along? Or is there no way to have one big cage?

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Ditto @ginipigsinspace, if you want us to help you figure out some way for them to get along, we need all the info. What size cage where they put in together? How long did you leave them in neutral territory? Did you try a buddy bath? etc, etc.

C&C cages can be made for relatively inexpensive, you can get your Coro from a sign store (some will give you misprinted signs for free, too) and as for grid buying locations I'm not from the US, but I have seen members saying you can get a box for as little as $20. @lissie's great with cage stuff and could probably help you figure out a way to make a large enough one for cheap, or a way to connect your two pens (if they'd be a large enough space once connected).

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

I agree with @Princess_Piggie and @ginipigsinspace I think we're all just a little bit confused.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

I'm done if they don't get along then that's that. Mine are not show animals and I said WE CANNOT AFFORD A C AND C CAGE! You clearly were not listening to what I was saying. Both of my pigs are happy living beside each other and that is all that matters.

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

Introducing piggies but one does not like the other

If they are so happy living beside each other, what were you wanting people to say when you posted this thread? It seemed like you wanted advice on how to help them get along together, but apparently you don't. I'll give it to you anyway. Again, having play dates without living together only makes things worse as far as them not getting along, and living in too small of a cage almost guarantees squabbling. They need to be introduced once in a large neutral area, put into a large clean cage together, and not ever separated unless blood is drawn. C&C cages are very inexpensive, much cheaper than an average exotic vet bill. If you can't afford a $40 cage, how would you afford a $300 surgery? And nobody said anything about them being show animals, so I'm not sure what you meant by that.

19. "Thank you, pigger123, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

Mine are not show animals.
    I'm not sure what you mean. Mine aren't show animals either but that's not the point.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

I'm done if they don't get along then that's that. Mine are not show animals and I said WE CANNOT AFFORD A C AND C CAGE! You clearly were not listening to what I was saying. Both of my pigs are happy living beside each other and that is all that matters.
    If "that's that", what were you hoping would be said in this thread? You asked why they don't like each other, we have all explained why it might seem that way and other things you could do to help the situation, but you seem intent on not trying any other options.

Whether or not your pigs are show animals has absolutely no relevance to anything you've asked, in fact I'd say almost the entire forum's pigs are not show animals because the vast majority of us are anti-showing. (when it comes to pigs, obviously we all have different opinions on dog showing, horse showing etc).

Ditto @pigger123, what are you going to do when one needs an operation, or medication? Just hope that they get better on their own? You need to be financially responsible for these animals and their needs. Their current needs are that they need a large cage to give them a hope of living together.

They most likely are not happy merely living side by side. They can't play together, or even just eat together. Every reputable source of guinea pig information will tell you that they need to live together, not as neighbours. If you want to ignore that and tell yourself you're the exception to the rule, that's your choice, but don't expect us all to agree with you when you're making a choice that doesn't have your pigs best interests in mind.

Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Well you guys were clearly not listening. I simply asked for ways to help them get along and every one of you threw a fit about how my guinea pigs are. Mine did come from a pet store and are perfectly fine. My oldest has never been to the vet in the 4 years that I have her and is fine. This is why I never as any of you because you make it harder than it seems. No wonder why a lot of people don't want guinea pigs is because you make it harder than it seems. I had a book on how to care for gerbils when I had them and when I followed the book, they lived to their maximum life span. Proof that you don't need advice like this. You have no right trying to criticize my decisions on how my pigs are raised. You don't understand my bond with them. You said it was my choice yet you criticized me? I'll take my business elsewhere and ask more sensible people who actually respect someone as a human being.

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    We tried to help you I think everyone has given you some great advise. I would trust everyone here with mine and my guinea pigs life and I know none of these people personally. Obviously we can't make you do anything. But I would at least try these suggestions. And just because the one pig has never been to a vet doesn't mean he never will. My first pig came from a pet store to and in five years only went to the vet for nail trimmings. Then boom one day he got sick and found out he had a bladder stone. The bladder stone was removed but he died the next day. In those ywo days cost us $1,000. $700 for the vet and operation and another $300 for cremation. The point is you never know what the future may hold. Will you be ready when/if something may happen.

User Tag List