Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

Taking pigs on a plane?

So I am planning a trip down to Florida (I live in Pennsylvania) and I really don't want to leave them behind. How would guinea pigs do on a plane? How could a make a temporary cage for them while I am in Florida visiting relatives?
    Who needs children when you have fuzzy babies? :)

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner Princess_Piggie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Re: Taking pigs on a plane?

There was a thread about travelling with pigs recently in which it was figured out that most airlines won't even allow them on a plane, let alone how stressful it would be for them. I don't know all of your airlines obviously but from what I've seen around the forum it's next to impossible to fly with them.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/7 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Not sure if this is true anymore but in 1998 when I moved from OH to Mass. I flew with my rabbit in a carrier in the plane itself. I had to let them know and they only allow one pet per flight to be in the cabin. I believe it was Delta. Maybe you can at least call some airlines and see.

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    I've heard that its very expensive. Plus I think you'd have a hard time finding one that would even allow them on. Of course you can always call around. I'm just not to sure its only what I've heard.

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I did call up Delta and they only allow birds, cats, and dogs.

Thanks
    Thanks
    582 Rec'd/536 Posts
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)

You can always find someone to pig sit them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

I usually have my sister watch them for me but I am only gone for like two days TOPS. I'm not sure if she can handle them or a whole week to week and a half.

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    277 Rec'd/180 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quoted
    187 Post(s)

There is likely a boarding facility that will take them. My cousin always watched my guinea pigs, but when I went to WDW last fall she was unable to (she was very pregnant). I took them to a local boarding facility, and they were given a large room (probably 12' x 12') to themselves. It was away from the other animals, and there was a whole wall that was a window that faced the front desk so they could be easily observed. It was actually an awesome facility, far better than I could've imagined, and better than anywhere I'd taken my dog before. The way I found them was just calling all the local facilities and asking if they boarded exotics. Those that said yes I put on a list, and then went and found reviews, the place with the best reviews is where I took them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,603 Rec'd/1,315 Posts
    Mentioned
    607 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1178 Post(s)

Forget about taking cavies on the airplane in the cabin. No airline that I know of will permit it. You can only transport them in the baggage compartment and that's not inexpensive.

Thanks
    Thanks
    657 Rec'd/453 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)

I know you can fly with a cat in the cabin, I don't see why piggies shouldn't be allowed. Of course it would be very stressful for them and I don't recommend doing it, but why is it prohibited by the airline?

Thanks
    Thanks
    101 Rec'd/84 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    42 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pigger123 View Post
    I know you can fly with a cat in the cabin, I don't see why piggies shouldn't be allowed. Of course it would be very stressful for them and I don't recommend doing it, but why is it prohibited by the airline?
    Possible because 1. The airline might think that they will stink (even though we all know that its the soiled bedding that stinks) and 2. Because the noise a piggie might make cats may occasionally purr or meow but if you have a hungry piggie he'll squeak and squeak which can be pretty loud and annoying for other passengers.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

I also imagine they have the same issue a lot of people do with small pets, "ew, rodents". I know so many people that say "I can't believe they're rodents, rodents are so disgusting!" about my girls.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

I feel like the "rodent" issue is the biggest one for airlines. We know our pigs won't chew out of their carriers and chew the plane, but that seems to be the enduring perception. When I researched flying with the pigs, I found that usually cats, dogs, birds, and rabbits were the only ones allowed, and not coincidentally, those are the animals most people see as "real" pets.

14. "Thank you, ThePigAlchemist, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ThePigAlchemist View Post
    I feel like the "rodent" issue is the biggest one for airlines. We know our pigs won't chew out of their carriers and chew the plane, but that seems to be the enduring perception. When I researched flying with the pigs, I found that usually cats, dogs, birds, and rabbits were the only ones allowed, and not coincidentally, those are the animals most people see as "real" pets.
    I find animals in the cabin a bizarre concept regardless of what animal it is though. I mean what if the person in the seat next to you is allergic to your dogs fur? Or the person behind you has tinnitus and you've got a loud bird with you? Planes flying to England aren't allowed to have animals in Cabin, but I suppose that's an international flight so the rules are vastly different.

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner ThePigAlchemist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    865 Rec'd/698 Posts
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)
    Quoted
    399 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Piggie View Post
    I find animals in the cabin a bizarre concept regardless of what animal it is though. I mean what if the person in the seat next to you is allergic to your dogs fur? Or the person behind you has tinnitus and you've got a loud bird with you? Planes flying to England aren't allowed to have animals in Cabin, but I suppose that's an international flight so the rules are vastly different.
    For sure. My dad is very allergic to cats, and he ended up next to a lady with her cat on the plane, who took the cat out on her lap. He was miserable the whole time, but nobody stopped the lady. Compared to that, having a guinea pig under the seat in front of you is a walk in the park. There are also potential phobias to deal with. On the other hand, I would absolutely never put my pigs in the baggage compartment of a plane. I've heard so many horror stories about the treatment of animals under there, as well as pets getting lost or overheating. Fortunately I don't have any need to bring the pigs overseas, so if I need to bring them on a trip, I drive.

Cavy Newbie
    Thanks
    Thanks
    4 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

*NEVER* let the airlines stuff your piggies or any other pets in the cargo. The temperatures aren't as regulated as in the cabin, and small pets like guinea pigs will be very stressed out in there with all the dogs barking inside. Many pets have died when they had to be put in the cargo hold. You can't really tell what's happening to your pet when they're in there.
    Your pet could freeze to death or overheat if the airline wants them in there.
    Either way, a plane ride will probably stressful, but if they stuff your pet in the cargo it may die.
    Airlines usually have their pet policy on their website.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

@ThePigAlchemist if I were your dad I'd be demanding a seat change for either myself or the cat lady. I got sick on a 9-10 hour flight from here to Florida when I was 11 and it was just hell, if I knew there was someone causing that (or rather, if my mum knew) she'd give them a right talking to.

I'd never want to take my pets on a flight anyway, but if I did and someone were allergic, I'd absolutely offer to move. It's just plain rude to be ignorant of others around you!

Cavy Star, Photo Contest Winner pinky's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2,491 Rec'd/1,959 Posts
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1563 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDNDWizard View Post
    I usually have my sister watch them for me but I am only gone for like two days TOPS. I'm not sure if she can handle them or a whole week to week and a half.
    If you use fleece, switch to Fresh News Bedding or Carefresh and put an extra thick layer in there. If your cage exceeds the recommended size for the number of guinea pigs you have, she might be able to spot clean areas on the top of the bedding without changing the bedding while you're gone. Make a list of exactly what she has to do each day and follow up with a phone call once a day in case she has questions. How old is she?

Thanks
    Thanks
    15 Rec'd/15 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

My sister is 15. But she has autism. I am NOT saying she is stupid but I am saying that she is irresponsible. I left my pigs earlier this week for two days with her and when I came home I went right to see them and they had escaped out of their cage. One of the cubes had become unattached. When I called her down to my bedroom I showed her that they had escaped (thankfully I stress the "closing the door behind you rule") So they had just ran under my dresser. She claims she tripped over their cage the night before and it must have popped open. In which I told her that she should have checked on them earlier the day I came home. (It was about 5 o'clock pm that I got home.) Not only this but they did not have any hay or pellets. This is the reason I feel I cannot trust her to look after them.

Thanks
    Thanks
    1,014 Rec'd/747 Posts
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Quoted
    538 Post(s)

You could look in to (and even ask around here) if there are any pet sitters who would be willing to check your pigs daily while you're away. I know a few times I've seen a thread where a member has been in a similar situation and someone's offered to help out, so there'd be no harm asking as well as googling local pet sitters.

User Tag List