Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Bumps on me

skittles3024

Cavy Slave
So I am lost. Belle is getting much better at lap time and we are really starting to bond and I am so happy. My only concern is sometimes she nibbles me. Not hard but just to test her luck or test me. Idk. But whenever she does I get a little bump where she nibbled and it itches. Anyone know what this could be from?

skittles3024

Cavy Slave
Maybe you're mildly allergic to her. While guinea pig allergies are less common than hay allergies, many animal allergies are to the animal's saliva.

I think you may be right. I'm fine if I hold her, play with her, whatever. It's only of her mouth goes on me. It's so weird. I'm not allergic to anything lol

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I don't know what it is, but I wouldn't let her do it. It's far better to keep her from developing bad habits than to try to break them afterward.

Rywen

Cavy Slave
That's an allergic reaction hive. Wash with warm water and soap and you can use a topical ani-itch cream to stop the itching. It sounds like you may have an allergy to her saliva?

skittles3024

Cavy Slave
At least it's only her saliva because I couldn't imagine giving her up

Rywen

Cavy Slave
I sometimes get allergic hives from the hay dust on my piggies, it's annoying but I would never give mine up either. Your piggie may be "kissing" you, that's how many rodents show affection. I've taught Ferb it's okay to lick but not to use teeth. He mostly remembers.

MrsGuineaPig

Cavy Slave
I am almost positive I am allergic to animal saliva (especially dogs since they lick so often). When Mocha was first getting used to me she would nip me and it would look just like that. I just washed it off with soap and water and after a few hours it was gone.
She gives me licks now but I don't have a bad reaction as I did before!

skittles3024

Cavy Slave
I hope she learns to lick! That'd be sweet. She never bites hard just a little. I just blow on her or touch her nose and she quits lol. Maybe she will learn :)

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
Yep it's an allergic reaction... I get them every time I hold my piggies, especially if there nails scratch me. You can help prevent it by taking an allergy pill before you an hour or two before you handle them.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
This exact same thing happens to me every time In touch my pigs, which really sucks. I get those litte white itchy looking bumps, my eyes will water,itch,and swell until I put Zaditor eye drops in them. I cant breath through my nose after lap time either. It sucks but it isn'gt enough for me to give the pigs away. It's just a sacrifice I've decided to make. And sadly, this is one of the reasons many pigs are gotten rid of. I havent held any of the pigs super recently so I can't post a pic to compare my bumps to yours, but I swear they look exactly the same.

Last night I was bonding with baby ollie and he accidentally gave me two little kitty-like scratches. I didn't even notice them until my skin started to itch like crazy and the scratches looked like one big giant bump like you have in the shape of his scratch. It sucked and it itched liked crazy.
I just immediately coat my arms/neck/whatever he touched in hand sanitizer and that helps a lot. And if it starts effecting my nose and eyes, I take a benedry. Which is also why I always hold them at night.

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
@cheyenneee One good trick is too wash your hands, arms, and whatever touched your guinea pig with soapy water before touching your face. Your can wear a pollen mask as well to help your respiratory system. After lap time actually check yourself for scratches and immediately put hydro cortisone on them before they itch, this will keep the hives from getting too bad. You can even put on a shirt specifically before lap time and take it off right after- I use a large over-sized old school shirt for a whole week before I wash it.
@skittles3024 your allergies may worsen overtime, so keep an eye on them.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
@StarTaleMaddnes I didn't even think of the shirt idea. Especially since my pigs shed so much, that would be great. I will start using hydro cortisone to! I usually use and sanitizer but I think the hydro c will help a lot. thanks :)

StarTaleMaddnes

Cavy Slave
@StarTaleMaddnes I didn't even think of the shirt idea. Especially since my pigs shed so much, that would be great. I will start using hydro cortisone to! I usually use and sanitizer but I think the hydro c will help a lot. thanks :)

Glad I could help. My guinea pigs shed a lot as well, especially since lap time tends to stress the girls out pretty badly. And fair warning you will eventually develop a tolerance to hydrocortisone, so at some point you may want to go to your doctor and ask about a prescription for a higher strength than you can buy over the counter, but try not to overuse because hydrocortisone can thin your skin. Also if you feel yourself developing stronger reactions you may want to go to an allergist and get yourself tested for what exactly you are allergic too (hay, dander, saliva, feces)- and even potentially get allergy shots, so you can stop having problems altogether.

I am allergic to pretty much everything associated to seasonal allergies as well as animals, along with extreme sensitivity to chemicals and perfumes: I have some of the highest topical re-activity (rashes and hives) along with respiratory re-activity (sinus congestion and throat irritation) that my doctor has every seen so if you have any other questions you can message me I'm something of an expert at this point.

LucidCavies

Cavy Slave
@StarTaleMaddnes
Thanks so much! if I have any further questions I will ask you!
My dad has horrid eczema and so do I. He has some of the most powerful stuff on the market also. If I get scratched my accident I put like half of a pea size on my arm and it takes it away IMMEDIATELY.

Though I really should consult with my doctor about getting my own stuff being how different we are in height, weight, etc. And they might want to get me on something less potent.
I cringed when I saw "Allergy Shots."
I have THE biggest fear of needles imaginable. Worse comes to worse I would choose the shot over potentially needing to rehome my pigs. I can stay on this topic for to long I think i'm gonna vomit....

I have never really been "allergic" to anything so-to-speak. As far as food is concerned I can at peanuts and shellfish and all of that stuff. But I have had ALLERGIES since birth. I know, not really different, but in my mind they have two definitions. I have been on nasal spray since I was a toddler as well as Claritin D. I was rough but Ive learned to adapt you know?
Like I said, i've had Eczema all of my life so this skin stuff isnt new, but I rarely broke out in these hives until now.
Like I said, if I have any further questions I will be sure to come to you!

Thanks again!
Asher,Ollie, and me!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.