Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guinea pig bit on top of nose..... (pictures included)

• Thread starter Jennifer Potash
  • Start date

Jennifer Potash

Cavy Slave
I just cleaned and washed my fleece and set up my 3 piggies cage. They were all running and pop corning until all of my three pigs started fighting. They weren't biting each other's butts, but their faces and also ripping out fur. I stopped the fight as fast as I could, but I noticed my piggy Tessa had a cut on her nose. What do I do? they're all 3 sisters and 5 month old babies, and I've had them for about two months. tessa cut.jpgThe cut isn't too bad... Is there anything I could do for her cut?
Thank you all so much

guineapigcraz27

Cavy Slave
It dosn't look to bad so I would clean it with a warm damp washcloth. For the fighting, how big is your cage that could contribute to the problem and one of them could be in heat but I don't know if female piggies that young go into heat and if it ends up with with cuts and hair pulling so im not to sure on the whole "heat" thing.

bpatters

Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'd clean it with a clean damp cloth, then use a Q-tip to put a tiny dab of triple antibiotic ointment (available at any pharmacy) on it and rub it in very well. Do that a couple of times today and tomorrow, then just watch it carefully. If it swells, gets red and/or hot, or if you see pus coming from it, get her to an exotic vet for an oral antibiotic.

New cages can sometimes trigger new dominance squabbles, even among pigs who have been together for months or years. Assuming your cage is large enough, I'd just keep an eye on them to make sure no other arguments break out. The whole thing has likely blown over by now.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.