Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Unfriendly & unsocial

raqui_rosie

Cavy Slave
I've had my 2 girls since late December, between Christmas and New Years. I've done everything people say and they still dot let me hold them or touch them. Raqui bites and Rosie runs away and hides. Not only are they unfriendly to me, they are mean to each other!Raqui is more dominant than Rosie. She doesn't let Rosie sleep in their house, even if there is an extra. When Rosie is in the house she pushes her out. Raqui also hogs the food and there is a noticeable size difference. I've tried separating them while thy eat but that didn't help. They don't fight or anything, not that I've noticed. But when I clean their cage I put them in a box while in the box raqui stands on Rosie and I hear lots of squeals. Sometimes I open the box to find raqui standing on Rosie's face! Would a third pig help at all? To balance things out so Rosie could have a friend? Any suggestions?...

Starthecavy123

Cavy Slave
I would add a second food bowl and water bottle. Are you sure they are both female?

raqui_rosie

Cavy Slave
Water is shared fine, I have been looking for a second bowl, thank you! They are definitely females, 7 months and no make parts or babies, also they both have nipples :)

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Everything you re describing about their interaction with you sounds perfectly normal. Guinea pigs are prey animals and their instinct is to hide or at least to run away when approached. Most guinea pigs don't like being picked up. They feel much more comfortable with all 4 feet on the floor. Some pigs never come around. How often have you interacted with them since December? Have you sat quietly near the cage, spoken to them in a soft voice, let them sit on your lap while you hand fed them?

As for their interaction with each other, what size cage are they in? Pigs will squabble without enough room. Also, make sure you have multiples of everything. And if one is chasing the other into or out of hideys, make sure you take out any hideys with only one opening (like igloos) and replace them with hideys with multiple openings.

All guinea pigs have nipples, regardless of sex. I wouldn't let the presence of nipples be your guide to sexing them.

pinky

Cavy Slave
How big is their cage and where do you keep it?

raqui_rosie

Cavy Slave
I have sat by them, watched them, and let them sit on my lap and eat (raqui wouldn't sit still but Rosie didn't mind), I've also had Rosie just sit on my lap while I was just sitting reading or working. I interact and try to handle them everyday. Their cage is larger than needed, originally an 2x3.5 but I rearranged to a 3x3 which comes out to around 14 cubic feet. I am aware that all pigs have nipples but mine are definitely females, they don't have male parts (testicles) and if one was a male I am positive there would be babies by now

CavyMama

Cavy Slave
Are you sure they don't have male parts? Have you tried to extract a penis? Some testicles are small or not very noticeable so eyeballing it doesn't always tell you much.

Have you checked out the sexing link that @Starthecavy123 showed you? You can also post photos of their genital area here and we can help you sex them.

raqui_rosie

Cavy Slave
I am POSITIVE they are both girls:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.